Best long range router?

aeroencychris
1 minute ago, Rmusic10891 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

These are top of the line from what I understand. Seems like most people have been able to sustain 500mbps + on them. Apparently they require a firmware update out of the box that isn't advertised. A google search of the model will get you directions on how to do it though.

There is some research that you would want to do before going this route. For instance you want to order MoCa compliant splitters and replace your existing ones more than likely. You'll also want to put a filter on at the entry point the prevent internet so someone outside can't tap into your internal MoCA network.

Point of Entry Filter

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467222818&sr=8-1&keywords=MoCa+Filter

MoCa Compliant Splitter

https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-4-Way-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00OTOEIGK/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=411olnfPGoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=44JQX0VP3KK2C71M6GTP

Anyway from reviews I've read it is worth the trouble to go through this work. Seems to be more reliable than powerline adapters. It certainly allows for more real world throughput. I'm in the process of setting my network up for MoCA to connect my office.

So if I did this I wouldn't be able to manage all of my clients through my router, since they wouldn't be going through it, right?

2 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

So if I did this I wouldn't be able to manage all of my clients through my router, since they wouldn't be going through it, right?

They'd still be reliant on the router for routing, and since your probably using consumer gear switching as well. It is still a TCP/IP based network, it's just a different medium than you're used to being used to transmit the data.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

I'd grab a Ubiquiti UAP-LR access point from Amazon and at least try it out to see if it will reach, if it doesn't Amazon will take it back within the return period no questions asked.

After switching to Ubiquiti, I'm never going back to consumer equipment...

Exactly how many walls and how far is it between her room and the router? Typical house with drywall? Or is there a lot of stone/tile, old plaster/lath walls, bathrooms in the way? (Water really messes with RF signals.) I've got a few different UAPs that I can test in similar distances/environments to get an idea of what you will get for speeds.

9 minutes ago, Scheer said:

I'd grab a Ubiquiti UAP-LR access point from Amazon and at least try it out to see if it will reach, if it doesn't Amazon will take it back within the return period no questions asked.

After switching to Ubiquiti, I'm never going back to consumer equipment...

Exactly how many walls and how far is it between her room and the router? Typical house with drywall? Or is there a lot of stone/tile, old plaster/lath walls, bathrooms in the way? (Water really messes with RF signals.) I've got a few different UAPs that I can test in similar distances/environments to get an idea of what you will get for speeds.

How would that work? The AP would connect to the existing signal and just extend it? I think it's just normal drywall, no bathrooms in the way.

2 hours ago, Rmusic10891 said:

They'd still be reliant on the router for routing, and since your probably using consumer gear switching as well. It is still a TCP/IP based network, it's just a different medium than you're used to being used to transmit the data.

Price point just might be a bit much for me considering I would probably set that up in multiple spots of the house

10 hours ago, Rmusic10891 said:

Do you have Coax run in your house? You could look into MoCa.

I have Bright House as my ISP and they actually have a monthly service ($30 install and $3/month after) which is essentially a streamlined MoCa setup. However, I realized as I discussed it with them that since the clients connected to that aren't technically on the same network as my main router, they won't (correct me if I'm wrong) be able to see my media server connected to my router in my room. The Bright House technician said it might be possible to make it detectable since ultimately it's all under the same household network, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

How would that work? The AP would connect to the existing signal and just extend it? I think it's just normal drywall, no bathrooms in the way.

What is commonly considered a router is (in a nutshell) actually an all in one device consisting of a router (tells data where to go), a switch (so you can plug more than one thing in), and a wireless access point (so you have WiFi). The Ubiquiti APs are JUST wireless access points and still require a router, but they do wireless extremely well. You just plug it into your existing Asus router, configure it, and connect to that wireless. You can either go into the Asus router and disable its wireless, or leave it up and have multiple wireless points to connect to.

They aren't as simple as a consumer device to configure, and require you to install a controller and adopt the APs, but 15 minutes of googling will easily get you through it. You can leave the controller up and running if you want to monitor it and check statistics, or close it down and only run it if you need to change something.

What kind of distance? 10 feet, 50, 100?

7 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

I have Bright House as my ISP and they actually have a monthly service ($30 install and $3/month after) which is essentially a streamlined MoCa setup. However, I realized as I discussed it with them that since the clients connected to that aren't technically on the same network as my main router, they won't (correct me if I'm wrong) be able to see my media server connected to my router in my room. The Bright House technician said it might be possible to make it detectable since ultimately it's all under the same household network, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Any thoughts?

Unless you have two routers/ISPs in your house, everything is on the same network.

5 minutes ago, Scheer said:

What is commonly considered a router is (in a nutshell) actually an all in one device consisting of a router (tells data where to go), a switch (so you can plug more than one thing in), and a wireless access point (so you have WiFi). The Ubiquiti APs are JUST wireless access points and still require a router, but they do wireless extremely well. You just plug it into your existing Asus router, configure it, and connect to that wireless. You can either go into the Asus router and disable its wireless, or leave it up and have multiple wireless points to connect to.

They aren't as simple as a consumer device to configure, and require you to install a controller and adopt the APs, but 15 minutes of googling will easily get you through it. You can leave the controller up and running if you want to monitor it and check statistics, or close it down and only run it if you need to change something.

What kind of distance? 10 feet, 50, 100?

My problem is that I wouldn't be able to run Ethernet from the router to the AP, unless you're saying to replace the router's AP with the new one.

The distance isn't that far but I found out that some of the walls actually have metal in them which is probably why the connection is so bad.

Setup isn't much of an issue for me, I can figure all of that out later.

4 minutes ago, Scheer said:

Unless you have two routers/ISPs in your house, everything is on the same network.

My router (not my modem, although it is capable of it) is dealing with all of the DHCP for the clients, so I'm afraid that by installing a MoCa AP I'll essentially be running two DHCP services, hence the devices not being able to "see" each other.

15 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

My problem is that I wouldn't be able to run Ethernet from the router to the AP, unless you're saying to replace the router's AP with the new one.

The distance isn't that far but I found out that some of the walls actually have metal in them which is probably why the connection is so bad.

Setup isn't much of an issue for me, I can figure all of that out later.

The UAP is a better version of the built in wireless in your router, so even if it is plugged in right next to your existing router it will go further at faster speeds. The UAP-Pro's (and some of the new versions) do support wireless linking so you could have one plugged into your router at your router, and the other in the middle of the house just plugged into power and it will repeat the signal. I've never purposely tried it, just ran into it accidentally at work when they forgot to plug in the LAN cable and we were wondering how the heck it was still working haha. No clue on the quality of the speeds, we just plugged it right back in without testing anything.

Yeah, metal will cause a lot of problems, but it still may work with the UAPs, its really hard to know for sure without trying it though. My UAP-AC-Lite is acting really weird right now... I get 10mbps whether I am 5 feet or 75 feet from it, after that it tapers off to nothing pretty quickly. The UAP (normal version, not the LR) gets 25 mbps at 50 feet and 15mbps at 75 feet going thru three walls (one insulated). A friend is currently range testing my UAP-AC-Pro, but so long as I remember I will get it back tomorrow and test that for range in the same spots.

13 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

My router (not my modem, although it is capable of it) is dealing with all of the DHCP for the clients, so I'm afraid that by installing a MoCa AP I'll essentially be running two DHCP services, hence the devices not being able to "see" each other.

The Moca is essentially the same thing as running an ethernet cable, just using existing wiring instead. None of the ones I know of hand out DHCP, and if some exist that do I have no idea why they would.

3 minutes ago, Scheer said:

The UAP is a better version of the built in wireless in your router, so even if it is plugged in right next to your existing router it will go further at faster speeds. The UAP-Pro's (and some of the new versions) do support wireless linking so you could have one plugged into your router at your router, and the other in the middle of the house just plugged into power and it will repeat the signal. I've never purposely tried it, just ran into it accidentally at work when they forgot to plug in the LAN cable and we were wondering how the heck it was still working haha. No clue on the quality of the speeds, we just plugged it right back in without testing anything.

Yeah, metal will cause a lot of problems, but it still may work with the UAPs, its really hard to know for sure without trying it though. My UAP-AC-Lite is acting really weird right now... I get 10mbps whether I am 5 feet or 75 feet from it, after that it tapers off to nothing pretty quickly. The UAP (normal version, not the LR) gets 25 mbps at 50 feet and 15mbps at 75 feet going thru three walls (one insulated). A friend is currently range testing my UAP-AC-Pro, but so long as I remember I will get it back tomorrow and test that for range in the same spots.

The Moca is essentially the same thing as running an ethernet cable, just using existing wiring instead. None of the ones I know of hand out DHCP, and if some exist that do I have no idea why they would.

Well wouldn't something have to do DHCP? How else would any connected devices get an IP address?

I have stuck with the netgear nighthawk series, they look and are beasts

2 minutes ago, Arty said:

I have stuck with the netgear nighthawk series, they look and are beasts

Any particular model?

3 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Any particular model?

r8000 good buget

header-r7000-hero-photo-large.png

x6 for the dope router, (jay2centz has this)
R8000_3-4Lft7_Transparent.png

x8

balls to the walls

R8500-800x420.jpg

41 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Well wouldn't something have to do DHCP? How else would any connected devices get an IP address?

Your Asus router runs a DHCP service and hands out IPs. As long as it is between the device and the internet, everything will work fine so long as you don't have a second routing device in the mix.

1 hour ago, cdsboy2000 said:

I think you're over complicating the idea of MoCa. Think of it as you would think of a powerline adapter (not at all the same, but stick with me here).  It's all the same network. Routing is handled at a different layer of the network. As such changing the physical media has limited impact on the actual routing (what you're calling DHCP). As long as the physical layer can carry TCP/IP packets you're existing router will work. 

As a side note I'd stay away from the Netgear nighthawk stuff. But that's just a personal dislike of consumer grade network equipment. 

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

15 minutes ago, Rmusic10891 said:

I think you're over complicating the idea of MoCa. Think of it as you would think of a powerline adapter (not at all the same, but stick with me here).  It's all the same network. Routing is handled at a different layer of the network. As such changing the physical media has limited impact on the actual routing (what you're calling DHCP). As long as the physical layer can carry TCP/IP packets you're existing router will work. 

As a side note I'd stay away from the Netgear nighthawk stuff. But that's just a personal dislike of consumer grade network equipment. 

I realize it can carry TCP/IP packets, but will it still recognize the server as it being on the same internal network? It's not a matter of if my existing router will work at all.

1 hour ago, Scheer said:

Your Asus router runs a DHCP service and hands out IPs. As long as it is between the device and the internet, everything will work fine so long as you don't have a second routing device in the mix.

My point is that the MoCa device would be acting as a second router, hence distributing separate internal IPs and (probably) not being able to detect devices on the other router.

10 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

My point is that the MoCa device would be acting as a second router, hence distributing separate internal IPs and (probably) not being able to detect devices on the other router.

Moca adapters do NOT do routing, its literally just taking ethernet and turning it into coax for a bit, then back to ethernet. It doesn't care about your network type, what IPs you are using, or what you ate for breakfast. Its just a simple media converter.

4 hours ago, Scheer said:

Moca adapters do NOT do routing, its literally just taking ethernet and turning it into coax for a bit, then back to ethernet. It doesn't care about your network type, what IPs you are using, or what you ate for breakfast. Its just a simple media converter.

What do you mean "back to ethernet"? Would that imply that at some point the devices connected via MoCa reach my main router via ethernet?

My point is something has to give those MoCa devices an internal IP address, whether that be a separate DHCP device connected to the MoCa box or the devices somehow ending up connected back to my main router.

4 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

What do you mean "back to ethernet"? Would that imply that at some point the devices connected via MoCa reach my main router via ethernet?

My point is something has to give those MoCa devices an internal IP address, whether that be a separate DHCP device connected to the MoCa box or the devices somehow ending up connected back to my main router.

The setup would be:

Internet > Modem > Router (and the rest of your LAN) > Ethernet cable > Moca Adapter 1 in your room > Coax thru the house> Moca Adapter 2 in your mom's room > Ethernet > Your mom's laptop / a wireless access point / a switch to connect multiple devices / etc.

Moca adapters take Ethernet input and adapt the signal to run over a coax line, and back into Ethernet on the other end where a second adapter is installed, so you can network something using the coax cable you likely already have in your walls rather than running an Ethernet cable.

They can also be used to get Ethernet to set top boxes that have internal Moca adapters so you don't have to run Ethernet to all of them, in which case only one adapter is needed, and where you may be getting confused. Even in that scenario the first Moca adapter gets plugged into your router so that the router sees the devices to give them IP information and direct network traffic appropriately. 

1 hour ago, Scheer said:

The setup would be:

Internet > Modem > Router (and the rest of your LAN) > Ethernet cable > Moca Adapter 1 in your room > Coax thru the house> Moca Adapter 2 in your mom's room > Ethernet > Your mom's laptop / a wireless access point / a switch to connect multiple devices / etc.

Moca adapters take Ethernet input and adapt the signal to run over a coax line, and back into Ethernet on the other end where a second adapter is installed, so you can network something using the coax cable you likely already have in your walls rather than running an Ethernet cable.

They can also be used to get Ethernet to set top boxes that have internal Moca adapters so you don't have to run Ethernet to all of them, in which case only one adapter is needed, and where you may be getting confused. Even in that scenario the first Moca adapter gets plugged into your router so that the router sees the devices to give them IP information and direct network traffic appropriately. 

Oh, this is different than I had imagined it. How would I go from ethernet from the first adapter to coax? There's only one port in my room and it's being used by the modem to get internet in the first place.

3 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Oh, this is different than I had imagined it. How would I go from ethernet from the first adapter to coax? There's only one port in my room and it's being used by the modem to get internet in the first place.

The Moca adapter should be plugged into your Asus router, which should have 4-5 ports on it.

1 minute ago, Scheer said:

The Moca adapter should be plugged into your Asus router, which should have 4-5 ports on it.

Yes, but you said the MoCa adapter would run back through coax to reach another adapter in the house. I only have one coax port here in my room, which is used by the modem.