Will I need 850w or 1000w?

Go to solution Solved by Mr. Tsao,
4 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

PC Part Picker doesn't have the correct wattage for the EVGA 1080 FTW, plus I wanted to hear your opinions on how many watts would be better to invest in.

Well I would think that 850W should be fine for that setup

I've been doing a lot of research to see how many watts is really needed for EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 2 - SLI. I'm running skylake (i7 6700k) AIO 240mm radiator. I have about 6 120/140mm fans. I do have some LEDS as well. I do plan to overclock everything to. Would I need 1000w? Forums I've been reading have different answers. Some say you should get 1000w, others say 850w is more than enough. I am reaaallllyyyy confused as to how many watts I'll need. I trust these forums the most, so you guys are the tiebreakers :) 

2 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

I've been doing a lot of research to see how many watts is really needed for EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 2 - SLI. I'm running skylake (i7 6700k) AIO 240mm radiator. I have about 6 120/140mm fans. I do have some LEDS as well. I do plan to overclock everything to. Would I need 1000w? Forums I've been reading have different answers. Some say you should get 1000w, others say 850w is more than enough. I am reaaallllyyyy confused as to how many watts I'll need. I trust these forums the most, so you guys are the tiebreakers :) 

If you put all of your parts into a pcpartpicker.com list it will show you total system watts so you can get a baseline of what psu you need.

1 minute ago, Mr. Tsao said:

If you put all of your parts into a pcpartpicker.com list it will show you total system watts so you can get a baseline of what psu you need.

PC Part Picker doesn't have the correct wattage for the EVGA 1080 FTW, plus I wanted to hear your opinions on how many watts would be better to invest in.

1 minute ago, AndyKala said:

Do you plan on doing any SLI?

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

3 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

I've got a 1200w but it's possible with a 850.

I've got the same computer you do. H100, with push pull, 3 front fans 1 rear fan and sli 1080's. 

There's an AX860i in my pc right now. Whenever my AX1200i gets back it's going back in. Broken connector on my 1200. 

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

Do you plan on doing any SLI?

Yes.

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

I've got a 1200w but it's possible with a 850.

I've got the same computer you do. H100, with push pull, 3 front fans 1 rear fan and sli 1080's. 

There's an AX860i in my pc right now. Whenever my AX1200i gets back it's going back in. Broken connector on my 1200. 

How many watts are you drawing from the wall?

750W is more than enough for a Dual GPUs set-up, you could even get away with a 650W unit. 

6 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

Two 1080s would be more than fine on a 750W PSU of sufficient quality. An EVGA G2 750W isn't crazy expensive and should do you nicely.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Two 1080s would be more than fine on a 750W PSU of sufficient quality. An EVGA G2 750W isn't crazy expensive and should do you nicely.

I'm pretty sure I'll get Corsair RM850. It seems like a good PSU.

Well I would think that 850W should be fine for that setup

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

Idle says 264 in Corsair link.. 

Oh ok, that's good. I guess I won't need 1000w. 

I'm pretty sure I'll get Corsair RM850. It seems like a good PSU.

The RMx and RMi are much better. Don't grab the yellow RM unit.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What really? I thought their RM series is better than RMi and RMx.

750W would be more than adequate for this . Even if both 1080's (OC ) use 200w each under load , you still got 350w left for the cpu ( 100W-ish ) and the rest of the system 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Witch is better, RMx or RMi?

8 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

Oh ok, that's good. I guess I won't need 1000w. 

VERY little people actually need 1000w.

There's not that big of a difference. Consider other options too like EVGA.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

1 minute ago, EcoBoost said:

Doesn't Corsair and Silver make the best PSU's on the market?

11 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Idle says 264 in Corsair link.. 

Take into consideration that Corsair link is terribly inaccurate.

I have a 3930k + 2x R9 280X, at idle Corsair Link showed around 240W, with a dedicated power meter It was around 160W. :P

The RMi has a fluid dynamic bearing fan and has Corsair link capabilities. In Corsair link you can switch from multi to single rail operation and vice versa. Worth it to get the RMi IMO. 

2 minutes ago, EcoBoost said:

VERY little people actually need 1000w.

This too. Although the RMi is my favorite power supply (due to the flat 24-pin) the G2 is better value.

1 minute ago, AndyKala said:

Doesn't Corsair and Silver make the best PSU's on the market?

Don't know who Silver is but Corsair doesn't actually "make" the PSUs as they have OEMs to do that, so not all of their units are consistently good like the various RM units, AX, etc.

2 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

Take into consideration that Corsair link is terribly inaccurate.

I have a 3930k + 2x R9 280X, at idle Corsair Link showed around 240W, with a dedicated power meter It was around 160W. :P

Corsair Link is more accurate on the RMi these days due to the hardware within the RMi being able to measure voltage readouts better than older -i PSUs.

The RMi has a fluid dynamic bearing fan and has Corsair link capabilities. In Corsair link you can switch from multi to single rail operation and vice versa. Worth it to get the RMi IMO. 

This too. Although the RMi is my favorite power supply (due to the flat 24-pin) the G2 is better value.

You know a lot about PSU's mate. I've never met anyone with such passion for them. That's a good thing though! Thanks for the replies.