Should I Buy the RX 480 on Release?

I'm building my first pc soon and I'm looking for a garlic a card in the 200-250 dollar range, I wasn't sure if I should buy a rx 480 on release because they'll be out of stock almost immediately. So I came to the forums to get some advice.

Why not? If you want a PC now it won't have any competition for a while.

1 minute ago, l__T__l said:

Why not? If you want a PC now it won't have any competition for a while.

How long until the 1060 comes out?

2 hours ago, OverDrive822 said:

I'm building my first pc soon and I'm looking for a garlic a card in the 200-250 dollar range, I wasn't sure if I should buy a rx 480 on release because they'll be out of stock almost immediately. So I came to the forums to get some advice.

Will they be out of stock almost immediate? Yes. Should you try to buy one on launch? No. I'd wait a little for benchmarks to come out. 

NEVER. BUY. ON. RELEASE. (when you don't have to)

Imagine the 480 has some flaw that we don't know about (highly unlikely but just imagine). Wait for long-term tests if you can wait, and consider getting a custom design.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

3 minutes ago, l__T__l said:
2 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

Will they be out of stock almost immediate? Yes. Should you try to buy one on launch? No. I'd wait a little for benchmarks to come out. 

So if the benchmarks come out, and they're good about how long will it be until the aftermarket coolers come out?

3 minutes ago, OverDrive822 said:

How long until the 1060 comes out?

Not soon enough, but I imagine you can wait for 15 more days.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

1. Wait for benches

2. Not if its price is gouged

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I would say, wait for some reputable benchmarks.

Allthough wenn the R&D ends tomorrow, it will most likely not take long before those benches will show up on the internet.

But honnestly, just based on the rumors and what to expect, the RX480 will probably the best buy at a $250 ish price point.

Never buy anything on launch day, that's how I see it. Once you look through data on the product then compare it to other options (if there are any) then buy if you still want it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Benchmarks are hitting, trades blows with a 380x. 

http://videocardz.com/61512/first-radeon-rx-480-gaming-benchmarks-hit-the-web

and you think that is true? You think that a leak from videocardz is true? 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Shhhhhh. Back away before you get sucked into the vortex.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Could be, could be bs. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Could be, could be bs. 

they are right 1/10000000... I call BS and we only have to wait one more day...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

You shouldn't, but I am :D

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, App4that said:

those benches are prob bullshit.

the difference in GPU horsepower, even with massive driveroverhead, compared between the 480 and the 380X is well. MASSIVE.

we are talking 5TFLOPS + (290X land) vs 3.6-4TFLOPS (GTX 970 land).... so even if FLOPS to FPS of AMD cards arent ideal, the raw horsepower of the GPU should be faster.

Better wait for manufacturers to make better versions of RX 480, that will include: better cooling, much better performance and more life span to the card.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

They won't believe you... and you'll get just about the amount of negative press I got even though the numbers and clocks look about right with what was already released the other day. But... they must not REALLY have the card... or the drivers are not mature... ROTFL.

Plus... why do people tend to ignore these recent benchmarks but when the early ones came out showing it being in GTX 980 territory, that was ok and hopeful?  Bunch of hypocrites.

29 minutes ago, Prysin said:

those benches are prob bullshit.

the difference in GPU horsepower, even with massive driveroverhead, compared between the 480 and the 380X is well. MASSIVE.

we are talking 5TFLOPS + (290X land) vs 3.6-4TFLOPS (GTX 970 land).... so even if FLOPS to FPS of AMD cards arent ideal, the raw horsepower of the GPU should be faster.

FLOPS are a good thing to look to, but not the deciding factor in card performance. Look at the Pro Due, poor little guy got completely forgotten about. Everyone lost their shit when it came out even though it was 1500us. Then the benchmarks showed a 980ti SLI config blowing it out of the water at less money. And fewer FLOPS. Even a Fury X crossfire beats it. 

I knew this was coming the second I saw AMD dump money in their "Rebellion" campaign. Because marketing costs money, and so do drivers. ;) 

25 minutes ago, App4that said:

FLOPS are a good thing to look to, but not the deciding factor in card performance. Look at the Pro Due, poor little guy got completely forgotten about. Everyone lost their shit when it came out even though it was 1500us. Then the benchmarks showed a 980ti SLI config blowing it out of the water at less money. And fewer FLOPS. Even a Fury X crossfire beats it. 

I knew this was coming the second I saw AMD dump money in their "Rebellion" campaign. Because marketing costs money, and so do drivers. ;) 

The Radeon Pro Duo was never a GAMING card. It was a pro-sumer card. Its also 1500 USD because of simple maths.

Nano = 500 USD each

2x pumps + rad + special heatpipe VRM cooling = around 200 USD or so

overpriced PLX chip to bridge the GPUs = 100 USD...

RnD, validation, profit margins for retailers = 200 USD or so...

Not exactly "spot on" but that is prob why it costs what it does.

Then again, it was meant for developers. It has special Firepro drivers.

Tell me, how many other AMD and Nvidia or even Intel products offer 16.9TFLOPS single precision at 1500 USD... go on. I wish you the best of luck.

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

At 1:24:00 they say the RX 480 is not an upgrade to the 390 but a side step.

https://www.twitch.tv/sapphirepr/v/74687671

And that's Sapphire. 

since we have yet to see specifics in terms of architectural changes, i wouldnt even trust "Sapphire Ed". He is a marketing guy. Think about it... Furies, 390s, 390Xs are still in sale... saying "dun buy this, buy the cheap one" is counter-productive to his whole job. For as long as the 390, 390X, Fury, Nano and Fury X is still the "higher end tier" due to lack of VEGA cards, he wont tell you to buy the cheaper card. because he, and sapphire would loose money.

Also, Sapphire Nation is Sapphire Eds personal channel. It is NOT a official Sapphire news outlet. Take everything said with a grain of salt. Just saying.

Sapphire Ed is a cool guy, imo he comes across as one of those "funny lovable big guys". BUT,  he IS in marketing, not in actual tech, RnD nor can i remember him saying he has any technology engineering background.

Hell, if GCN4 boost tesselation and Alpha effect performance over GCN 2 (Hawaii) and GCN 3 (Fiji) then that ALONE is a valid reason to buy it. As similar performance but higher tess and alpha effect performance will help in all the "crapworks" titles.

24 minutes ago, Prysin said:

As similar performance but higher tess and alpha effect performance will help in all the "crapworks" titles.

xD It never ceases to amaze me how fans stay on their toes. When the Pro Due came out I got my head taken off by AMD fans over saying it wasn't meant for gaming, now that it's not the 980ti killer they hoped it would be it's not meant for gaming. Just like when winter arrives the AMD fans will bend and twist over why the RX 480 isn't a 980 or better. Probably blaming Nvidia as your use of the slur for Gameworks shows. Which is why AMD dumped money into marketing, not driver support. AMD fans don't place pleasure on driver support or performance. Nvidia put an eject button in a driver update? Well that's good for a year of calling Nvidia's drivers crap xD AMD knows their consumer base, you have to hand it to them.

Does the Rx 480 have potential? Probably, like many of the products in the Radeon line. But for 300us you can have a 390, if the AIB 480s reach 300us for the 8g model AMD will have rebranded the performance of the 390, or should I say 290? To validate AMD's claims as rebelling against the high cost of gaming they can't simply offer the same performance to dollar we currently have access to in the 300 series. They need that Nano level performance at 250-300us.