Motherboard IO [RANT]

I find it extremely frustrating, how motherboard manufacturers constantly overlook the rear IO, and how important it really is. Whether it is a lack of specific ports, bad layout or useless connectors, every company seems to keep making the exact same mistakes, and nobody really talks about it.

I'm not sure whether many people are in the same situation as I am, but I have a large amount of USB devices (8 in total) and very little motherboards have anywhere near the amount of ports I would need. Yes, I could just buy a good quality USB hub, but they are expensive (in Australia at least) and will just make cable management a nightmare. It really cannot be difficult or even expensive (please correct me if I am wrong) for manufacturers to pay more attention to the rear IO, and include what the average consumer wants.

fcbb1b4f1d281ac58f9242aa3f0f4a83.png

This ASUS Z170-AR board has only 5 USB Type A ports, and a Type C. It's cheap board, and has great features, and is not bloated with stuff that is not needed. But, once again it seems that they have completely overlooked the rear IO. Almost every consumer will use more than 5 USB ports, yet no thought has been given. Worst of all, there is a huge space where more ports could be added, but no.

f49b909114181dd4016d55ceb754ddee.png

The Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming1 board is a perfect example of how well the rear IO can be organised. Basically every available space has been filled with ports. It doesn't include any unnecessary ports, and has a good balance of everything a consumer would need. They have even be able to fit WIFI and dual Ethernet in, while still having 10 USB Type A ports, and a single Type C port.

It really makes no sense why a good IO layout is seen on more boards these days, considering that more and more people are focusing on expanding their desk setup, and sometimes using more than peripheral of each type. I'd personally prefer to pay an extra few dollars to see some more ports on the rear. 

So these are just my thoughts, and I'm getting really annoyed at great boards, overlooking a key part of it's design. I'd love to hear what you guys' thoughts are.

CPU: Core i7 7700K | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-AR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD & Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5

Cheaper motherboard have less I/O so they can sell the more expensive motherboards that have better I/O. What is the point of an expensive motherboard when a cheap motherboard has exactly the same features?

I prefer to use a hub, and if I need more USB I can get a pci card etc

I agree some boards could do with more IO, but you can check that before you purchase the board

id say a good 80% of computers probably only have like 4 USB ports occupied (keyboard, mouse, headset, phone cable) and people use the front IO for usb sticks etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Cheaper motherboard have less I/O so they can sell the more expensive motherboards that have better I/O. What is the point of an expensive motherboard when a cheap motherboard has exactly the same features?

This ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha still has the same issue, but is probably worth more than you're processor.

f0cd127c75d96fb455c14e096fce958f.png

CPU: Core i7 7700K | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-AR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD & Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5

14 minutes ago, FusionDeck said:

That I/O actually irritates me that the WIFI antennas are below usb ports, in my opinion, those should always be up top, less sh*t hitting them, but that's my 2 cents, not sure if it counts. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

That I/O actually irritates me that the WIFI antennas are below usb ports, in my opinion, those should always be up top, less sh*t hitting them, but that's my 2 cents, not sure if it counts. 

Makes Sense, but some boards have them wight at the bottom, just above the audio, which is even worse. 

3 minutes ago, FusionDeck said:

Makes Sense, but some boards have them wight at the bottom, just above the audio, which is even worse. 

Yeah, makes me wonder how much thought goes into them for such an oversight to occur... Also... the legacy PS2 ports need to gtfo... Last time i saw a PS2 keyboard/mouse i was graduating high school... Now i get it bios doesn't load USB, but out of these boards with UEFI... still having PS2, please give me a damn break...

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

2 minutes ago, FusionDeck said:

This ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha still has the same issue, but is probably worth more than you're processor.

f0cd127c75d96fb455c14e096fce958f.png

Life is full of compromises, ASUS being one of them.

If the I/O on a particular board doesn't have enough USB Ports, get another motherboard or a USB expansion card.

If a motherboard with good I/O doesn't have the features you want, find one that does or compromise.

Cost will often mean better, but it doesn't necessarily it is better.

Anyway, that motherboard costs more than my CPU, GPU and motherboard combined, You are a long way off with the price.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Life is full of compromises, ASUS being one of them.

If the I/O on a particular board doesn't have enough USB Ports, get another motherboard or a USB expansion card.

If a motherboard with good I/O doesn't have the features you want, find one that does or compromise.

Cost will often mean better, but it doesn't necessarily it is better.

Anyway, that motherboard costs more than my CPU, GPU and motherboard combined, You are a long way off with the price.

Putting the business side of things aside (I'm sure they can find other things to compromise on, to sell higher quality boards), it would still be good to see better layouts on boards.

1 minute ago, FusionDeck said:

Putting the business side of things aside (I'm sure they can find other things to compromise on, to sell higher quality boards), it would still be good to see better layouts on boards.

Not to mention having better grouping would make my ocd cable managing soooo much easier, instead, bundling like cables and such, jesus im complaining so much and its only 6:30am... co-workers are in for a good day! ;) (my preferred I/O: Wifi antennas - cluster of lets say, 8-10 USB - ethernet - audio - hdmi 2/displayport x2) is that so hard to ask??

HeadsetLogitech G430  

You'll have to pay more for more usb ports. Like the asus x99 deluxe has 12 of them on the back.

On their cheap ones, 1 usb type c, replaces 2 usb type a. So if you pick a type c port, you loose 2 usb type a ports.

Their new x99 ones even the cheap x99-a ii has 10 usb.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I don't think the average users needs more than 5 USB ports. I use 1 for mouse 1 for keyboard and 1 for a USB stick. You are more of a power user and therefore you need more expensive mobos. If you can't afford it, too bad the world isn't fair.

13 minutes ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

I don't think the average users needs more than 5 USB ports. I use 1 for mouse 1 for keyboard and 1 for a USB stick. You are more of a power user and therefore you need more expensive mobos. If you can't afford it, too bad the world isn't fair.

Don't really think anyone here was bitching about price, at least I wasn't i just hate the damn layouts lately

HeadsetLogitech G430  

7 hours ago, derick90 said:

Don't really think anyone here was bitching about price, at least I wasn't i just hate the damn layouts lately

11 hours ago, FusionDeck said:

It really cannot be difficult or even expensive (please correct me if I am wrong) for manufacturers to pay more attention to the rear IO, and include what the average consumer wants.

fcbb1b4f1d281ac58f9242aa3f0f4a83.png

This ASUS Z170-AR board has only 5 USB Type A ports, and a Type C. It's cheap board, and has great features, and is not bloated with stuff that is not needed. But, once again it seems that they have completely overlooked the rear IO. Almost every consumer will use more than 5 USB ports, yet no thought has been given. Worst of all, there is a huge space where more ports could be added, but no.

The Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming1 board is a perfect example of how well the rear IO can be organised. Basically every available space has been filled with ports. It doesn't include any unnecessary ports, and has a good balance of everything a consumer would need. They have even be able to fit WIFI and dual Ethernet in, while still having 10 USB Type A ports, and a single Type C port.

It really makes no sense why a good IO layout is seen on more boards these days, considering that more and more people are focusing on expanding their desk setup, and sometimes using more than peripheral of each type. I'd personally prefer to pay an extra few dollars to see some more ports on the rear. 

So these are just my thoughts, and I'm getting really annoyed at great boards, overlooking a key part of it's design. I'd love to hear what you guys' thoughts are.

By the looks of things you were. If you don't mind about the price ( which you seem to do since you complain that USB hubs are expensive), why don't you buy a more expensive mobo ? You are bound to find one which fits what you want. In all honesty if you don't bitch about the price and you don't bitch about high-end mobos having more and better IO what are you ranting about here ? Again 5 USB ports are enough for most people. 

Personally, I don't think mobos are the issue I think the stupid designs of peripherals who have fat connector designs are the issue to blaim. I was wasting 1 port with my old mouse simply because some smart guy on the design department thought it was a smart idea to make a big fat connector that is usually hidden on the back of the pc and no one sees it but covers 2 ports

11 hours ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

By the looks of things you were. If you don't mind about the price ( which you seem to do since you complain that USB hubs are expensive), why don't you buy a more expensive mobo ? You are bound to find one which fits what you want. In all honesty if you don't bitch about the price and you don't bitch about high-end mobos having more and better IO what are you ranting about here ? Again 5 USB ports are enough for most people. 

Personally, I don't think mobos are the issue I think the stupid designs of peripherals who have fat connector designs are the issue to blaim. I was wasting 1 port with my old mouse simply because some smart guy on the design department thought it was a smart idea to make a big fat connector that is usually hidden on the back of the pc and no one sees it but covers 2 ports

Learn to forum bruh. That wasn't me. I was bitching about layouts. 

So, I know the English language can be tricky, but from your mis-guided rant at me and that you're able to form a coherent sentence, please, put more effort into your original thought before slinging your shit-storm my way.

Dumber than snake mittens I swear...

HeadsetLogitech G430  

6 hours ago, derick90 said:

Learn to forum bruh. That wasn't me. I was bitching about layouts. 

So, I know the English language can be tricky, but from your mis-guided rant at me and that you're able to form a coherent sentence, please, put more effort into your original thought before slinging your shit-storm my way.

Dumber than snake mittens I swear...

woops