Nvidia DSR what is it actually like?

So I plan on ordering a GTX 1080 founders edition in the next few days however I do not plan on buying a 4K monitor until at least next year, until then I will only be gaming on 1080p displays which to most will people will seem very overkill however I plan on using Nvidias DSR technology and up-scaling my 1080p monitors to 4k. I completely understand how the DSR technology works however I have looked all over YouTube and all comparison videos make it look no different to just running standard 1080p. I am just wondering if anyone actually runs DSR and if they notice any difference.      

Why founders?

Did you concider buying EVGA FTW or SC edition?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

20 minutes ago, KillerTech said:

So I plan on ordering a GTX 1080 founders addition in the next few days however I do not plan on buying a 4K monitor until at least next year, until then I will only be gaming on 1080p displays which to most will people will seem very overkill however I plan on using Nvidias DSR technology and up-scaling my 1080p monitors to 4k. I completely understand how the DSR technology works however I have looked all over YouTube and all comparison videos make it look no different to just running standard 1080p. I am just wondering if anyone actually runs DSR and if they notice any difference.      

"founders addition" I think you mean founders edition.

Also, don't bother with founders, get an aftermarket card, I'd recommend the EVGA FTW card, much better than founders edition.

Not to mention, founders has some issues with cooling (at least with the stock fan curve), only one 6-pin power connector (EVGA FTW has 2x 8-pin power connectors), among other things.

I've used DSR in the past, it did look better, though it also killed performance like crazy.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Why founders?

Did you concider buying EVGA FTW or SC edition?

I did look at other cards but I have a themed build and all other cards would look out of place, besides there is something I love about the founders.

5 minutes ago, KillerTech said:

I did look at other cards but I have a themed build and all other cards would look out of place, besides there is something I love about the founders.

Well as you wish :)

I bought FE GTX 1070, just because I knew it will be water cooled, so after I OC it, it's same or even better than other aftermarket cards.

But I would never buy FE if I would be acctually using that stock cooler. But that's just my opinion, because I don't like noise xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

"founders addition" I think you mean founders edition.

Also, don't bother with founders, get an aftermarket card, I'd recommend the EVGA FTW card, much better than founders edition.

Not to mention, founders has some issues with cooling (at least with the stock fan curve), only one 6-pin power connector (EVGA FTW has 2x 8-pin power connectors), among other things.

I've used DSR in the past, it did look better, though it also killed performance like crazy.

Thanks for replying, I should be able to run DSR without any large performance impacts using the 1080 I would imagine, as to my founders edition choice it is because of my build theme (black and yellow) and the founders edition just fits in well, plus I am a big sucker for that classic Nvidia style but I am open to suggestions   

8 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well as you wish :)

I bought FE GTX 1070, just because I knew it will be water cooled, so after I OC it, it's same or even better than other aftermarket cards.

But I would never buy FE if I would be acctually using that stock cooler. But that's just my opinion, because I don't like noise xD 

Yea that could be an issue, but I run a 900D with 9 case fans so noise is long past one of my concerns. 

DSR is basically a technique to render games at a higher resolution then downscaling to native res.

AMD's equivalent is basically the same. They both run at [insert resolution] and, as such, take screenshots at [resolution], but the card tells your monitor that it's a [native resolution] frame.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 minutes ago, KillerTech said:

Thanks for replying, I should be able to run DSR without any large performance impacts using the 1080 I would imagine, as to my founders edition choice it is because of my build theme (black and yellow) and the founders edition just fits in well, plus I am a big sucker for that classic Nvidia style but I am open to suggestions   

LED.gif 

That's the EVGA FTW, you could easily set it to glow yellow.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

LED.gif 

That's the EVGA FTW, you could easily set it to glow yellow.

EKWB should make RGB waterblock for those cards.

Damn that would be orgasmic.

WD My Cloud 4TB

47 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

EKWB should make RGB waterblock for those cards.

Damn that would be orgasmic.

That would be pretty cool, would be even better if EVGA made the IO take up a single slot, then you could have an amazing colourful single slot gtx 1080.

1 hour ago, KillerTech said:

So I plan on ordering a GTX 1080 founders edition in the next few days however I do not plan on buying a 4K monitor until at least next year, until then I will only be gaming on 1080p displays which to most will people will seem very overkill however I plan on using Nvidias DSR technology and up-scaling my 1080p monitors to 4k. I completely understand how the DSR technology works however I have looked all over YouTube and all comparison videos make it look no different to just running standard 1080p. I am just wondering if anyone actually runs DSR and if they notice any difference.      

I have two Gtx 970s and sadly the only game i currently play that even uses sli is Overwatch.

So with two cards and a 1080p 144Hz panel, i set DSR to 1.7?x which gives me 1440p. 

Funny enough, switching in game resolution from 1080 to 1440 only saw a 5-10 fps difference. 

As for quality, i honestly couldn't see a difference. Maybe it's blizzard's art style, maybe the epic preset was good enough already, but i only use DSR right now to say I'm running x resolution.

Maybe someone with different games can say otherwise, but once you can run 1080 with maxed settings (and i have the nvidia driver 3d settings maxed too) i personally can't see the difference. 

It's impossible to discern the difference in YouTube videos because of compression. If you've ever since downsampling on your own, that's exactly what it is. DSR (and VSR for AMD) are just marketing terms for downsampling. Nvidia had actually had the functionality built into their drivers for a long time by giving you the ability to create custom resolutions, but must people didn't understand what it was and never messed with it. DSR also does it for you. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Keep in mind that if you run your games in borderless window mode, which you should, dsr will kinda rearrange your windows in your secondary monitor and make them appear cut off. 

DSR in Overwatch maybe doesn't look much different but it does in games I've tested. Bioshock Infinite looks really good over 1080p and still plays fast with one 970. The Witcher 3 is too demanding for a 970 using DSR. War Thunder can use it but the GPU runs hotter straight out of the gate using DSR so I don't think the tradeoff it really worth the crisp visuals. If you had a huge monitor, "maybe".. but at 23 inch and below doesn't really help THAT much. It really looks better when it comes to AA though.

Well Just installing the card now so I will soon be able to see if DSR is any good, Thanks to everyone for talking about their experience with DSR. 

DSC_0162.JPG