Low profile CPU cooler fan direction?

TheMidnightNarwhal

So I replaced my h100i with a phanteks LS. Out of the box, the fan mounted on it was in direction pushing air towards the CPU, just like in the image. I slapped a Corsair fan in the same orientation but I'm wondering now... shouldn't it be pulling air away?

PH-TC12LS-1z.jpg

Why would it pull away? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

no....

why would you want it pulling air away

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I suppose a pull config could work, but it should be a push down towards the CPU through the fins.  Test it!

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why would it pull away? 

@stconquest @Enderman

Well I'm thinking if it's like, taking the CPU heat away into the heatpipes then into the heatsink... wouldn't you want the fan to pull that hotness away instead of pushing it back onto the motherboard and CPU? Or it really doesn't matter at this point.

32 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Well I'm thinking if it's like, taking the CPU heat away into the heatpipes then into the heatsink... wouldn't you want the fan to pull that hotness away instead of pushing it back onto the motherboard and CPU? Or it really doesn't matter at this point.

It makes a difference. Think about where the air is coming from. It's easier to pull more air in when it's pushing down onto the heatsink. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

@stconquest @Enderman

the air only changes by a few degrees

you want it blowing down so it cools all the components around the CPU like VRMs which get also very hot

the slightly hotter air from the heatsink still cools the other stuff

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

the air only changes by a few degrees

you want it blowing down so it cools all the components around the CPU like VRMs which get also very hot

the slightly hotter air from the heatsink still cools the other stuff

18 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Alright thanks guys

I think that is the one advantage to these low profile and stock coolers:  They increase airflow over the VRM.

32 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I think that is the one advantage to these low profile and stock coolers:  They increase airflow over the VRM.

Well, that, and they fit inside of ridiculously tiny cases scavenged from spare parts stores, allowing you to drop an i3 into a case with Celeron-level ventilation :D

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.