I want to watch Star Wars but in what order is it?

sissj

I want to watch Star Wars but in what order is it as many people told me different orders.

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

If you want to watch it in chronological order, then watch them in their numbered order. 1 through 7.

The prequels, or 1,2, and 3 are considered the worst. But they are chronologically first and setup the 4, 5, and 6th. 

The 7th takes place considerably after the ending of the 6th movie.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

19 minutes ago, sissj said:

I want to watch Star Wars but in what order is it as many people told me different orders.

It depends on what you want to experience. To best preserve spoilers and "OMG" shock efffect, there are a few sequences that have been developed over the years.

For a first time viewing, I recommend:

The Ernest Rister sequence (4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7)

Watch Eps 4 and 5 first, then go back to the prequels, which are treated more of a flashback, then back to Episode 6 and off to 7.

This way, once you learn, stuff, in Episode 5, it's not immediately spoiled in the Prequels because you already know the things. It gives you better context and backstory on Anakin, without weighing down the series. It also gives you some excellent movies to watch first, before you have to run through the prequels.

There's also a slimmed version, called:

The Machete Order (4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7)

This skips Episode 1 - All of the very important things that happen in this movie are more or less explained or referenced in the other movies, so you don't necessarily need to watch Ep 1.

I personally prefer the Ernest Rister order, as I want to see the complete story, good and bad.

If you've already seen them, I recommend in-universe Chronological Order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, xentropa said:

5 6 7

Thats it

While I agree that the OT is better than the PT, the PT is not without merit. Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan is fantastic, and you actually get to see some interesting character progression throughout the series. The Lightsaber fights are also for the most part insane and great. (Duel of Fates at the end of Ep.1).

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that the PT doesn't exist, but it's Canon, and it's here to stay.

I would still recommend to anyone watching for the first time to watch ALL of the movies, not just the "Good" ones.

Side note: I'm one of the few people who think A New Hope is a piece of shit. It certainly has some awesome moments, but the acting is pretty wooden, the effects - while revolutionary at the time - really don't hold up well. Even 3 years later, with Empire Strikes Back, the visual effects had progressed a huge degree.

The acting skill of the cast really hit their stride with Empire. Everything about it and RotJ are better than Ep 4. I actually ENJOY watching Revenge of the Sith more than I enjoy watching A New Hope.

I would rate the movies as follows (best to worst):

#1 Ep 5. The Empire Strikes Back

#2  Ep 6. Return of the Jedi

#3  Ep 7. Force Awakens

#4  Ep 3. Revenge of the Sith

#5  Ep 4. A New Hope

#6  Ep 1. Phantom Menace

#7  Ep 2. Attack of the Clones

I put Ep1 above Ep2, because despite Jar Jar Binks being the most annoying thing in film, and Anakin being a little whiney kid, the movie was still overall more interesting than Ep 2, where Anakin was a little whiney bitch teenager instead of a little whiney kid. Plus, Duel of Fates - fuck that fight scene is amazing.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, sissj said:

you're welcome.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

30 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

you're welcome.

Can you fix the font colour in that mega post? You used a bunch of Yellow text for headings and it's pretty well nigh impossible to read on the Day Theme.

This is coming from a HUGE Star Wars fan. It's better to get to know Vader as a true villian first, then empathize with him later. Watch them in the order they released. Ep 4-6 first, 1-3 next, then VII.

My 2c!

On 6/24/2016 at 2:20 AM, sissj said:

you're welcome.

will do. i did adjust it for the old theme, its kinda off on the new forum. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 6/23/2016 at 10:23 PM, dalekphalm said:

While I agree that the OT is better than the PT, the PT is not without merit. Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan is fantastic, and you actually get to see some interesting character progression throughout the series. The Lightsaber fights are also for the most part insane and great. (Duel of Fates at the end of Ep.1).

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that the PT doesn't exist, but it's Canon, and it's here to stay.

I would still recommend to anyone watching for the first time to watch ALL of the movies, not just the "Good" ones.

Side note: I'm one of the few people who think A New Hope is a piece of shit. It certainly has some awesome moments, but the acting is pretty wooden, the effects - while revolutionary at the time - really don't hold up well. Even 3 years later, with Empire Strikes Back, the visual effects had progressed a huge degree.

The acting skill of the cast really hit their stride with Empire. Everything about it and RotJ are better than Ep 4. I actually ENJOY watching Revenge of the Sith more than I enjoy watching A New Hope.

I would rate the movies as follows (best to worst):

#1 Ep 5. The Empire Strikes Back

#2  Ep 6. Return of the Jedi

#3  Ep 7. Force Awakens

#4  Ep 3. Revenge of the Sith

#5  Ep 4. A New Hope

#6  Ep 1. Phantom Menace

#7  Ep 2. Attack of the Clones

I put Ep1 above Ep2, because despite Jar Jar Binks being the most annoying thing in film, and Anakin being a little whiney kid, the movie was still overall more interesting than Ep 2, where Anakin was a little whiney bitch teenager instead of a little whiney kid. Plus, Duel of Fates - fuck that fight scene is amazing.

I'm surprised that you like EP. 3 more than a New Hope.

1 minute ago, awesomeness10120 said:

I'm surprised that you like EP. 3 more than a New Hope.

It's not a popular opinion, to be sure. But frankly, A New Hope is hard to get through, now that I hold it up to such high standards as Empire and Jedi, and even Force Awakens. In that light, Ep 3 is a more re-watchable film to me. The action set pieces are entertaining, and the lightsaber battles at the end were simply phenomenal.

I want to start off by saying that I think the prequels were more fun to watch than the Original Trilogy. I mention it because it is true and also just like seeing the nerds come out of their cave to yell at me in caps because my opinion differs from theirs :P

On topic: Watch it in chronological order. Watching 4, 5 and 6 first just spoils the story IMO.

14 hours ago, TehStranger? said:

I want to start off by saying that I think the prequels were more fun to watch than the Original Trilogy. I mention it because it is true and also just like seeing the nerds come out of their cave to yell at me in caps because my opinion differs from theirs :P

On topic: Watch it in chronological order. Watching 4, 5 and 6 first just spoils the story IMO.

On the flip side, watching 1, 2, and 3, spoils the major reveal in the series that you would otherwise get when watching the OT. That's why I recommend the Ernest Rister sequence for first time viewers. You get a taste of the old first, then you get the big reveal, then you get all the backstory from the PT, and finish off with 6 and 7.

For repeat viewings though, I pretty much always watch in chronological order.

On 6/23/2016 at 4:14 PM, dalekphalm said:

It depends on what you want to experience. To best preserve spoilers and "OMG" shock efffect, there are a few sequences that have been developed over the years.

For a first time viewing, I recommend:

The Ernest Rister sequence (4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7)

Watch Eps 4 and 5 first, then go back to the prequels, which are treated more of a flashback, then back to Episode 6 and off to 7.

This way, once you learn, stuff, in Episode 5, it's not immediately spoiled in the Prequels because you already know the things. It gives you better context and backstory on Anakin, without weighing down the series. It also gives you some excellent movies to watch first, before you have to run through the prequels.

There's also a slimmed version, called:

The Machete Order (4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7)

This skips Episode 1 - All of the very important things that happen in this movie are more or less explained or referenced in the other movies, so you don't necessarily need to watch Ep 1.

I personally prefer the Ernest Rister order, as I want to see the complete story, good and bad.

If you've already seen them, I recommend in-universe Chronological Order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7).

My sister and I recently rewatched the saga using the ER sequence and we both agreed it's the best way for new people to get the story.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

I recomend the machete order.

4-5-2-3-6.

If you want to watch eppisode 1 then

4-5-1-2-3-6

For a first time viewer you should probably watch episode 1.  For any follow up viewings I would skip it entierly.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

On 6/23/2016 at 9:23 PM, dalekphalm said:

snip

Duel of fates is insane... And at the very least, the PT have the strongest musical score in the entire series. (1>3>5=2>4>6>7).

On 6/24/2016 at 10:16 PM, dalekphalm said:

It's not a popular opinion, to be sure. But frankly, A New Hope is hard to get through, now that I hold it up to such high standards as Empire and Jedi, and even Force Awakens. In that light, Ep 3 is a more re-watchable film to me. The action set pieces are entertaining, and the lightsaber battles at the end were simply phenomenal.

This is actually my opinion as well

#1  Ep 3. Revenge of the Sith (Imho many of the critiques are people failing at basic human nature understanding, and it is imho the most rewatchable of all the films)

#2  Ep 6. Return of the Jedi  (Honestly, I was weaned on this film as a child, It probably isn't as good as I think it is.)

#3  Ep 5. The Empire Strikes Back (Whiny Luke bugs the shit out of me, sorry...)

#4  Ep 4. A New Hope 

#5  Ep 7. Force Awakens (A New Hope v2 doesn't overcome some really painful plot issues even with it's "real-life visuals", also weak-sauce music score)

#6  Ep 1. Phantom Menace 

#7  Ep 2. Attack of the Clones (Hey, the movie starting from the Arena is pretty decent...)

Also even if it totally isn't cannon, I doth prescribe to Darth Jar Jar as a fix to my hatred.

On topic, 4,5,1,2,3,6 is a very good order. 7 doesn't fit in well imho because if you watch 4 first 7 becomes very repetitive and vise versa.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS