Planning to get a new ps4 controller over a ps3 controller?

I'm planning to use the new ps4 controller on my pc emulators and GTA V <<Since I preferred using controllers over keyboard and mouse

But may I ask, is it worth the extra money to spend on a ps4 controller to use as as a pc controller rather than using a ps3 controller as one?

Pros and cons may be listed for each of the controller and would be appreciated if done so :)

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Yeah, PS3 drivers on Windows are quite a mess, so going for a PS4 controller is better. Not to say PS4 drivers are amazing, you still have to tinker around.. but it's easier at least.

Easiest would probably be going for an Xbox 360 controller, as many games support that natively, but you have to get some adapter to make it work wirelessly. PS4 controller is ok (since you can emulate it as an Xbox 360 controller)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, PS3 drivers on Windows are quite a mess, so going for a PS4 controller is better. Not to say PS4 drivers are amazing, you still have to tinker around.. but it's easier at least.

Easiest would probably be going for an Xbox 360 controller, as many games support that natively, but you have to get some adapter to make it work wirelessly. PS4 controller is ok (since you can emulate it as an Xbox 360 controller)

Actually I got my ps3 drivers to work on windows 8 and 7 with some workarounds and it wasn't really a mess...But not sure about the ps4 though...Is the ps4 buttons/triggers feel much better to use on the pc than the ps3 controller? 

8 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Actually I got my ps3 drivers to work on windows 8 and 7 with some workarounds and it wasn't really a mess...But not sure about the ps4 though...Is the ps4 buttons/triggers feel much better to use on the pc than the ps3 controller? 

Well yeah I got mine to work on Windows 7 too, with Motionjoy.. It was never elegant though and I have heard people complain about Motionjoy screwing up some mouse/keyboard drivers..

Anyways, I feel like the PS4 controller is better than the PS3 controller, but I don't like either really. They both have their pros and cons.

Both have, IMO, terrible thumbsticks because of different reasons. PS3's thumbsticks are slippery, and the PS4 ones just feel awful with the groove. Both L2 and R2 buttons are not very good, although the PS3 ones are significantly worse. The start button on the PS4 controller is kinda out of place, while the PS3 controller's D-Pad is quite terrible. 

Overall I find the PS4 controller better, but not by much

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Personally, having tried using an official DualShock 3 & DualShock 4 on Windows 7 & 10, along with a DS3 Clone from Rock Candy; The clone was the easiest to plug-n-play without needing special software. The DS4 was plug-n-play using MicroUSB or Bluetooth using DS4Windows under 7 & 10. The DS3 was a monsterous headache that never wanted to work properly no matter how much I tried to get it to work, both wireless and wired.

10 hours ago, Minibois said:

Well yeah I got mine to work on Windows 7 too, with Motionjoy.. It was never elegant though and I have heard people complain about Motionjoy screwing up some mouse/keyboard drivers..

Anyways, I feel like the PS4 controller is better than the PS3 controller, but I don't like either really. They both have their pros and cons.

Both have, IMO, terrible thumbsticks because of different reasons. PS3's thumbsticks are slippery, and the PS4 ones just feel awful with the groove. Both L2 and R2 buttons are not very good, although the PS3 ones are significantly worse. The start button on the PS4 controller is kinda out of place, while the PS3 controller's D-Pad is quite terrible. 

Overall I find the PS4 controller better, but not by much

Isn't the ps4 and ps3 d pad the same?

Also is the ps4 triggers more improved in comparison to the ps3 one?  Especially when sniping people in gta v?

Why not use a Windows native controller like the Xbox One or X360 style controllers?  Added bonus of having user replaceable batteries, or you can always get a cable'd version and not worry about batteries dying. 

46 minutes ago, Monte_Carlo said:

Why not use a Windows native controller like the Xbox One or X360 style controllers?  Added bonus of having user replaceable batteries, or you can always get a cable'd version and not worry about batteries dying. 

No 

I like the ps controller layouts more and is much more preffered when sniping in gta v :)

3 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Isn't the ps4 and ps3 d pad the same?

Also is the ps4 triggers more improved in comparison to the ps3 one?  Especially when sniping people in gta v?

No they are not the same, the PS3 D-Pad is much stiffer, slippier and smaller. The PS4 one also has a place to actually rest your thumb comfortably in.

The triggers (that's L2 and R2 right?) are better on the PS4 controllers, but that is not saying much because the PS3 ones were terrible

I've got a DS3, a DS4 & a Rock Candy DS3 Clone in front of me as I type this;

DS3: Triggers (L2 & R2) are squared-off sides with a curve along the bottom edge of the 'face' and said 'face' has a curve towards the body, D-Pad buttons are smaller and 'flat' (ignoring matte texturing), Shoulders (L1 & R1) are straight-edged rectangles with a convex face, Home button is a fairly flat dome, Thumbsticks have a convex surface.

DS4: Triggers are shaped to have an inwards angle on the outside edge whilst the 'face' curves away from the body, D-Pad buttons are large with a smooth texture and a dip at the points in the centre for the thumb to rest in, Shoulders are semi-circles with the curved edge along the top, Home button is a fairly flat dome, Thumbsticks have a shallow convex surface with a 'ring' around the outside edge.

Rock Candy: Triggers are squared-off along the sides with a curve bottom edge like the DS3 but with an outward curve on the 'face' like the DS4, D-Pad is a solid piece with a concave face to rest the thumb in, Shoulders are square-edged rectangles with an angled ("two-face") face where the 'peak' sits just below the first joint of the finger after the nail, Home button is a fully convex dome, Thumbsticks have a concave surface.

PS4 controller is a much better shape for adult hands, has better analog sticks, triggers, and d-pad, touch pad can emulate mouse, and drivers are way simpler to set up. The DS4 is 100% the way to go.

Git Gud.

7 hours ago, Minibois said:

No they are not the same, the PS3 D-Pad is much stiffer, slippier and smaller. The PS4 one also has a place to actually rest your thumb comfortably in.

The triggers (that's L2 and R2 right?) are better on the PS4 controllers, but that is not saying much because the PS3 ones were terrible

I might go for the ps4 and for the analog sticks, I might put some kontrol freeks on it :)

One nice thing with the DS4 in a PC is that the touch pad also works like a normal touchpad from a laptop, you can use only the controller without having to reach for your mouse.

Mystery is the source of all true science.