What's the point of a fan controller?

TheSuspect
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
4 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

I guess to reduce/increase the strength of certain fans, but what's the point of them? How do they even work? I'm a bit ignorant with fan controllers, there's probably a use for them. Enlighten me please

They restrict or allow certain voltage to a fan if plugged in. If you want them to be extra quiet the fan controller severely limits the voltage it sends to the fan. If you want it to run faster to keep your system cooler then it will allow for more voltage. Some fans are not fond of fan controlling however so that's just something to keep in mind.

I guess to reduce/increase the strength of certain fans, but what's the point of them? How do they even work? I'm a bit ignorant with fan controllers, there's probably a use for them. Enlighten me please

Nothing.

It allows you to control your fans at will individually.

You can set up custom profiles so that at certain temps fan speed will increase/decrease.

Basically you have more control over how loud and how hot your system is.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

They give less or more electricity to the fans to speed them up/down.

They give you an option to silence your PC during light use like web browsing and ramp them up when gaming.

They also fill me with joy.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Its like a USB hub but for fans - lets you hook all your fans up to a control unit so set various fan speeds/temp controls

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

To adjust the speed of the fan.

I lower the speeds when I record audio for videos :)

They restrict or allow certain voltage to a fan if plugged in. If you want them to be extra quiet the fan controller severely limits the voltage it sends to the fan. If you want it to run faster to keep your system cooler then it will allow for more voltage. Some fans are not fond of fan controlling however so that's just something to keep in mind.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My computer is over clocked and there's no control over the fan speeds. So it's constantly loud. Even when just surfing the web or dicking around. At these times I wish I had a controller to lower the speed of my fans to bring the noise down. I just bought a NZXT? Sentry 2 to take care of this issue.

I got an NZXT Sentry 3 somewhat recently for my secondary computer and I love it. Idk if it's the Corsair 88R case being smaller that makes the noise from the fans more noticeable or if I'm just using loud fans but it seems a bit too loud for my liking if the fans are at full speed. (2 Blue LED 120mm Cougar fans and 2 Corsair Quiet Edition AF120 non-LED 120MM fans)  The Sentry 3 fixed all that and now if I don't need the fans full speed I can lower them to as low as 40% speed which makes the case really quiet.  I'm using a Pentium G3258 at 4GHz with the stock cooler and a GTX 960 neither of which I think get all that hot (If I'm wrong someone please tell me so I learn.  ?) so I'm pretty sure I could leave the fans at no more than 60-70% even when gaming on it and still have a decent interior case temperature.

i got the Sentry 3 instead of the 2 because I liked the colors of the 3 better and for those that this matters to I'm pretty sure the 3 allows for higher wattage fans to be used or overall is a higher watt limit fan controller.  (One or both things.)

So the point of a fan controller is to give the user more control over case fan speeds to allow for relatively more specific control over when the fans run at higher speeds which translates to a quieter system at times when the fans can safely run slower.

For people like myself who have a low white noise tolerance having a fan controller in even 1 of my 2 desktop PCs is doing a lot to keep me sane and happy when I'm using my secondary desktop.  ?