Noctua Fan rant?

OsuMasterz
1 minute ago, OsuMasterz said:

I was researching and I found that there is a fan that is the same in performance as the NF-F12's for cooling through a radiator, but is the same level of noise for half the price. (Phanteks F120MP). I do have to agree that the NF-S12A's are really quiet but, there maybe a fan out there that is the same level of noise while being cheaper as well.

The NF-S12A is arguably the best quiet airflow/noise fan and it's my favorite fan for that reason. TrueQuiets can get nearly as quiet but don't push as much air.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

As a headphone user, I care a lot about silence, probably more than if I had a big speaker system. Noise cancelling can help, but it's annoying when I can hear my computer over background sound.

I'm not gonna recommend any new fans because they've been mentioned before, but I swear by the eloops, they look damn cool and are very quiet.

Most of the time I play games with a lot of noise, a lot of effects and attacks and such that overcomes my computer noise, so it just works for me. My volume isn't that loud either, having over-ear headphones block it out itself.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NF-S12A is arguably the best quiet airflow/noise fan and it's my favorite fan for that reason. TrueQuiets can get nearly as quiet but don't push as much air.

Fair enough

4 hours ago, OsuMasterz said:

Most of the time I play games with a lot of noise, a lot of effects and attacks and such that overcomes my computer noise, so it just works for me. My volume isn't that loud either, having over-ear headphones block it out itself.

"If it works for you" is kind of a mantra for me. In the grand scheme of computer building, fans are a trivial piece of the puzzle. At the end of the day, a $5 fan that pushes 50 CFM and sounds like a 737 is really doing about the same job as a $20 Noctua that pushes the same 50 CFM but is barely audible. Warranty coverage is the main difference there, but you could very successfully make the argument to me that it's a $5 fan; who cares if it lasts 6 years or 6 months? 

I'd always encourage someone on a tight budget to focus their money elsewhere than on high end, near-silent fans unless their use case really demands Noctuas or beQuiets. A little part of me screams in agony when I see a build posted here that uses four NF-F12 fans and a $20 500W Logisys arson box. 

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

"If it works for you" is kind of a mantra for me. In the grand scheme of computer building, fans are a trivial piece of the puzzle. At the end of the day, a $5 fan that pushes 50 CFM and sounds like a 737 is really doing about the same job as a $20 Noctua that pushes the same 50 CFM but is barely audible. Warranty coverage is the main difference there, but you could very successfully make the argument to me that it's a $5 fan; who cares if it lasts 6 years or 6 months? 

I'd always encourage someone on a tight budget to focus their money elsewhere than on high end, near-silent fans unless their use case really demands Noctuas or beQuiets. A little part of me screams in agony when I see a build posted here that uses four NF-F12 fans and a $20 500W Logisys arson box. 

Few things: what does mantra mean (im not american)

I don't get the reference of a 737

Too much exaggeration on the $5 fan thing, I don't think there is a static pressure fan on the market that costs $5.. and I don't think it could even spin that fast

9 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

Few things: what does mantra mean (im not american)

I don't get the reference of a 737

Too much exaggeration on the $5 fan thing, I don't think there is a static pressure fan on the market that costs $5.. and I don't think it could even spin that fast

A mantra is a saying you find helpful and use to understand or justify your actions. A 737 is a jet plane. 

Also, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006C1HWWU/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1466599045&sr=1-22&refinements=p_36%3A1253503011&pi=SL140_CR0,0,140,140_QL70&keywords=120mm+static+pressure+fan

I wouldn't buy it, but it does exist. 

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

4 hours ago, OsuMasterz said:

Close enough: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/yD9KHx/silverstone-case-fan-ap122

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

That actually isn't a bad fan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Don't Prolimatech fans have motor noise issues? 

It's not very quiet and doesn't like being in a horizontal position but it's still not a bad fan--especially when most led fans suck.

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

A mantra is a saying you find helpful and use to understand or justify your actions. A 737 is a jet plane. 

Also, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006C1HWWU/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1466599045&sr=1-22&refinements=p_36%3A1253503011&pi=SL140_CR0,0,140,140_QL70&keywords=120mm+static+pressure+fan

I wouldn't buy it, but it does exist. 

Isn't a mantra a word of small phrase that you repeat multiple times to enter meditation? :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 21.6.2016 at 0:58 PM, Heesleemer said:

Can other fans be just as good? yes, but they are louder, take corsair for instance, In my experience, even the quiet version makes a god awful clicking sound at low RPM.

That clicking sound is normal? I was able to RMA those fans. The sad thing is they sent me 2 fans, the first one was grinding, the second one grinding and buzzing. Sounds especially painful when booting the system.

Although I had a very positive experience with the Corsair support, I found the NF-A140 iPPC and ordered 2 of them right away because I am tired of poorly manufactured components. On top they offer slightly more while being ~10dB quieter. If the plan succeeds I pay once and won't have to deal with them as long as warranty lasts.

2 minutes ago, Karmek said:

That clicking sound is normal? I was able to RMA those fans. The sad thing is they sent me 2 fans, the first one was grinding, the second one grinding and buzzing. Sounds especially painful when booting the system.

Clicking is present in most pwm fans. Noctua's fans are some of the few that don't have this issue due to how they gradually apply the pulse.

8 minutes ago, Karmek said:

Although I had a very positive experience with the Corsair support, I found the NF-A140 iPPC and ordered 2 of them right away because I am tired of poorly manufactured components. On top they offer slightly more while being ~10dB quieter. If the plan succeeds I pay once and won't have to deal with them as long as warranty lasts.

not sure, what I do know is I don't get clicking on my PWM noctuas or bequiet fans. 

I honestly stick with Noctua (among other things) due to their customer service 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

On June 21, 2016 at 3:08 AM, SSL said:

Are they made of the same damn plastic?

On June 21, 2016 at 1:35 PM, WoodenMarker said:

I doubt it.

If your wondering what they are made from it's a glass fiber or glass ball reinforced plastic same as what they use in the plastic bodies of good quality power tools, makes it extremely durable and strong to regular non-reinforced plastic. If you want to see for yourself dragging a knife across the surface gives a very gritty texture which are the glass fibers. 

am i the only one in the world who doesn't think they are ugly?, I'm completely serious about that. My computer box, use to be close, so I don't really care about his colour, but is not so ugly...

18 hours ago, xeo100 said:

am i the only one in the world who doesn't think they are ugly?, I'm completely serious about that. My computer box, use to be close, so I don't really care about his colour, but is not so ugly...

Eh, I don't particularly have a problem with them, but I could see how someone who went out of their way to get white components and a white case for their build might not want a bunch of turd-colored fans in there.

On 6/23/2016 at 10:38 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

OEM Dell Optiplex fans work astonishingly well. Just turn the speed WAY down. Also they are thicker.

Alright, im going to order about 10 of these, what do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Processor-Chassis-GM1206PKVX-/dp/B0115XAMSK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467183924&sr=8-4&keywords=oem+dell+fans

What about Fractal Design Venturi fans? They have 2-5% less airflow and pressure than Noctuas but 1-2 dB less noise at the same RPM which is quite significant. There is  YouTube channel that does a lot of testing with PC fans using their own standard methods so that all fans are tested equally. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoS5JlAslu0xvKRkxMO3Bkg 

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

5 hours ago, OsuMasterz said:

2 star average review.

Seems like a great idea.

Also, it's not a standard 3/4 pin header.

5 hours ago, OsuMasterz said:

Those are for a low form factor PC. As in not 120mm. There are PROBABLY (as in very likely) much better alternatives, unless you can get them for free (optiplex towers are a dime a dozen here, not even joking) so finding enough to fill my PC without really spending anything is actually possible. They ARE PWM, but they draw a LOT of power at full speed and would require custom wiring.

5 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

What about Fractal Design Venturi fans? They have 2-5% less airflow and pressure than Noctuas but 1-2 dB less noise at the same RPM which is quite significant. There is  YouTube channel that does a lot of testing with PC fans using their own standard methods so that all fans are tested equally. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoS5JlAslu0xvKRkxMO3Bkg 

RPM is arbitrary. Compare performance to noise instead.

God this thread is so pointless now. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

On 6/21/2016 at 8:01 AM, OsuMasterz said:

Ok, so I know im going to get a lot of haters on this thread, but this is my opinion.

So I always get recommendations on getting the best performing static pressure fan for my radiator (Noctua NF-F12's)

Look :  Here's the thing, my system does not look good with the Brown/White colors in my system (My system is Black and red) so there's that.

Price:   Only ONE fan that is Black with Brown corners is $22, I need two of these fans for my radiator, so now it's at $44, I know you can buy different colored corners (or at least that's what I've heard)

Let's say I get the corners, now we are probably at around $50

WTF

I know these are the best performing fans on the market, but they are not made of freaking gold (exaggeration). They are made of the same damn plastic as any other fan.

The Corsair SP120's High Performance editions come with Interchangeable rings for different colors and cost around $20 for TWO fans. 

Now if you are on the Noctua side, in you're head you must be thinking, "well it's not for poor ppl m8"

I can definitely afford these fans, but where I am in this country tells us to be conservative and not to throw money for shit all the time.

Just how I was raised

Noise: In terms of noise, honestly I don't give a shit because I wear headphones all day, and I got 9 fans running in my case on the highest speed and I can barely hear them, even without headphones. (or i'm deaf )    (:))

Conclusion, do whatever that fuck you guys want, just don't tell me to buy these fans.

Redux FTW

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

RPM is arbitrary. Compare performance to noise instead.

Hmm, in that case Venturi fans (HP-14) delivers more airflow and pressure than the Noctua A14 at the same dB level.

I am looking at the 71 - 73 CFM and 1.1 mmH20 pressure range, Venturi is 1 - 2 dB quieter.

The Venturi can only go up to 1300RPM using DC, with PWM it can reach its stated max speed of 1500RPM, I can confirm this since I got one to test with.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.