RX480 vs R9 290

c00face

There's a lot of hype going on about the Rx480 being on par or better than the R9 290 for just $200, and uses less power and produces less heat. If this is true, should I really consider selling my R9 290 and buy the RX 480?

The RX 470 is rumoured to be at the R9 290 level of performance. "5% behind a GTX 970" for 150$(?). RX 480 will be faster for sure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

the 480 will be at r9 fury/gtx 980's performance level while the the rx 470 will be at the 290's performance level. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

We don't actually know how well the 480 performs, but it's certainly better than a 290 but by how much I have no clue. Just wait for the 480 nda lift/release and compare (though the 480 will likely be the better bet imo)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

wait and be patient :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wait and see. Ignore anybody who tells you that the 480 will perform like a Nano, or a 390, or a 370 because hurr dee durr  AMD sux /s. We need to wait for benchmarks. I'm expecting a bit above 390 performance on average, but I'm not an AMD employee.

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

We don't actually know how well the 480 performs, but it's certainly better than a 290 but by how much I have no clue. Just wait for the 480 nda lift/release and compare (though the 480 will likely be the better bet imo)

I can't wait, I need to sell my R9 290 right away before price drops, so I can maximize my profits and purchase the RX 480.

20 minutes ago, Supermangik said:

I can't wait, I need to sell my R9 290 right away before price drops, so I can maximize my profits and purchase the RX 480.

It sounds like all you want is for someone to tell you it's ok to do what you've already decided to do.

It's your call if you want to roll the dice, no one else's.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

1 hour ago, incarnate said:

It sounds like all you want is for someone to tell you it's ok to do what you've already decided to do.

It's your call if you want to roll the dice, no one else's.

I'm collecting information before I make a move. Is what smart investors do.

26 minutes ago, Supermangik said:

I'm collecting information before I make a move. Is what smart investors do.

A smart investor would wait until he has all the relevant information. 

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

buy the rx 480 because it is not so power hungry as the r9 290 and the direktx 12 compatibility is mutch better on the new Polaris Cards.

Why do you people keep asking questions about unreleased hardware and expectvalid and informed answers? Even worse, why do you insult a helping member when he says something, what is in my mind reasonable?

WE. DON'T. KNOW. We all wait for the NDA to lift and to see the tests ourselves, up until then everything is up in the air.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

All of the reviews I've read showed the 480 at stock clocks, slightly ahead of the 290 at stock clocks.  We know, however, that the 290s overclock and take extra voltage extremely well.  Judging from what I've seen from previous die shrinks, they usually don't accept voltage as well as the previous gen, and thus, have a little less overclocking headroom.  

Still....I'd wait until you see some REAL benchmarks instead of the pre-release benchmarks before you make a decision.  If you're looking for an "upgrade", the 480 isn't going to be it.  You likely won't notice a difference.  If you're looking for lower power consumption, then the 480 would be a good replacement for the 290.

All that said....everything I've seen indicates the 480 won't run as well as the 290X I have sitting on a shelf in my closet.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

11 hours ago, Supermangik said:

We don't have any more information than what you already have access to. The card hasn't launched and it hasn't been reviewed yet. If you want to do this, do it, but the most reassurance we can give is that the RX 480 is likely somewhere above the R9 290.

8 hours ago, incarnate said:

A smart investor would wait until he has all the relevant information. 

A smart investor would not invest in consumer electronics.  A consumer electronics company sure, but those companies have value precisely because their products lose value so quickly.  He shouldn't look at this as an investment.  Trying to limit your costs is important, and maximizing the sale value of your current card is a good strategy if you can go without a GPU for a few weeks.  Maximize your budget, get the best upgrade for the smallest cost you can, but don't call it an investment.

1 hour ago, Geekavenger said:

A smart investor would not invest in consumer electronics.  A consumer electronics company sure, but those companies have value precisely because their products lose value so quickly.  He shouldn't look at this as an investment.  Trying to limit your costs is important, and maximizing the sale value of your current card is a good strategy if you can go without a GPU for a few weeks.  Maximize your budget, get the best upgrade for the smallest cost you can, but don't call it an investment.

I'm not the one who call it an investment, and limiting your costs on a side-grade with no information about the actual product is a dice roll. It's smart when doing it for a high end to high end upgrade, but for a mid ranged, 200.00 card?

My rig:

21 hours ago, incarnate said:

I'm not the one who call it an investment, and limiting your costs on a side-grade with no information about the actual product is a dice roll. It's smart when doing it for a high end to high end upgrade, but for a mid ranged, 200.00 card?

Agreed, sorry I just pulled the quote from you to expand on your reasoning.  And yeah I agree, for some decisions optimizing your costs for a side is just not worth the time.  If he ends up without a computer for 2 weeks so he can net $20 what's the point.  And even then, what if the RX 480 is a dud, to save $20 on something he didn't need is even sillier.

Basically the long and short of it is there is very little benefit to selling the current card now, and much higher risk.