2 x 470 vs Single 480

FRN

Which one do you think will perform better?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you think will perform better?

• 2 x 470
    • Single 480

Just a thought. Which one do you think will perform better?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

Unreleased card X vs unreleased card Y. Until we have proper benchmarks, our input is pretty much pointless. 

Maybe the 2x 470 will be slightly better, and so you can beat a 1080 with just 4x 470s xD 

/s

I'm not going to guess since personally I think it's just a bad idea.  The 480 is already a good "reasonable" card, and a crossfire option to compete with higher end ones.  I wouldn't start trying to match 480 performance with crossfired even weaker cards.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If it's anything like previous AMD and Nvidia releases, 2x GPU performs better than 1x GPU 1-tier-up. But Scaling and SLI/xfire isn't too good and you should always get 1 better gpu over 2 worse gpus.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I think two 470's would be faster although personally I really don't want multiple cards because of past issues. I'd get a single powerful card

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe the 2x 470 will be slightly better, and so you can beat a 1080 with just 4x 470s xD 

Or go ahead and buy a 1080 since the 470 is assumed to $150. x 4 is 600. LOL.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, FRN said:

Or go ahead and buy a 1080 since the 470 is assumed to $150. x 4 is 600. LOL.

My point is that you should buy whatever level of performance you want, and then only start combining cards if you have to.  If I wanted a 1080, I would get that, not 2 480s.  If I wanted a 480, I would get that, not 2 470s.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

/s

I'm not going to guess since personally I think it's just a bad idea.  The 480 is already a good "reasonable" card, and a crossfire option to compete with higher end ones.  I wouldn't start trying to match 480 performance with crossfired even weaker cards.

IT IS TIME AMD HAS ARISEN FROM THE PITS OF SUCKISH LAND

THE AMD RX SERIES WILL DESTORY NVIDIA IN EVERY SINGLE WAY AND AMD WITH DESTROY NVIDIA FOR YEARS TO COME

on a more real note @op you should probably wait until actual benchmarks come out

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

1) wait until they exist

2) probably two 470s since they are only 1 tier below

3) multi-GPU configs are bad IMO and should not be used at all unless you already own the most powerful GPU and there isnt anything better (which in this case would be a 1080)

4) so get a 480

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My point is that you should buy whatever level of performance you want, and then only start combining cards if you have to.  If I wanted a 1080, I would get that, not 2 480s.  If I wanted a 480, I would get that, not 2 470s.

I personally would not recommend CF or SLI of 2 lower end cards to try to compete with a single higher card

CF/SLI Disadvantages :

1.Higher Wattage

2.More Heat

3.Compatibility

4.Stutters

5.Games that have HORRIBLE CF/SLI support

6.Space inside case

7.Bottlenecks

CF/SLI Advantages :

1.Performance (Only if you have a good CPU so bottlenecks would not be created,a better PSU,a bigger case

,mobo that supports 2 way CF/SLI,running games that actually support CF/SLI,running games that dont have stutters with 2 way

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.