Multiple Ethernet lines from one computer?

Sir_Awesome

I am a bit of a networking noob so any insight here would be appreciated. Will running two Ethernet lines from a computer to a switch benefit performance? My guess would be that it would make it more stable to transfer say files around my home network machines also connected to the switch while also still being able to say download files from the internet over the other line at the same time but I have no idea so let me know

Just waiting for that next upgrade 

Current Build: 

CPU: Intel i5-3750

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK

Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 FTW

Case: Thermaltake Chase MK-1

Storage: Intel 480GB 535 Series SSD, Seagate 1TB

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Other Systems:

Dell Poweredge 840/2800 A.K.A Frankenedge or Frank for short 

Coming Soon....

If the ports support teaming and you have other systems in your LAN that are also teamed and you are transferring files between them sure.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Awesome said:

I am a bit of a networking noob so any insight here would be appreciated. Will running two Ethernet lines from a computer to a switch benefit performance? My guess would be that it would make it more stable to transfer say files around my home network machines also connected to the switch while also still being able to say download files from the internet over the other line at the same time but I have no idea so let me know

You can add a second network card to your computer to obtain more than one ethernet port, and "team" these interfaces together to increase your network bandwidth with various pieces of software. This type of setup is more geared towards servers though, and can be somewhat difficult to setup for a novice. 

Futhermore if you are running microsoft, they removed the feature to actually team the nics together.. Very stupid, and a problem i have been dealing with a lot. Currently not possible if you are running the newest windows 10.

15 minutes ago, henrikfraannk said:

Futhermore if you are running microsoft, they removed the feature to actually team the nics together.. Very stupid, and a problem i have been dealing with a lot. Currently not possible if you are running the newest windows 10.

I literally just did it in Windows 10 to see if you were right. It worked lol.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I literally just did it in Windows 10 to see if you were right. It worked lol.

I would like to know how you did then?

7 minutes ago, henrikfraannk said:

I would like to know how you did then?

Are you referring to Microsoft's own NIC teaming like in Server 2012? Or software-based teaming like in software from BroadCom?

7 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

Are you referring to Microsoft's own NIC teaming like in Server 2012? Or software-based teaming like in software from BroadCom?

I am refering to Microsoft's own NIC teaming, which as you can read in this thread has been removed in 10: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/66166918-5b67-4754-89e5-a2572b1888a2/nic-teaming-failed-build-10568-windows-10?forum=win10itpronetworking

I havent been able to create a NIC team from windows. Also i cant use intels own software to team my nics, as this feature relies on the windows functionality. As i install the software, it simply says it is not possible to use this feature, as windows has removed the feature.

I am not sure it will work with software from broadcom, as i have intel hardware.

On the other hand, i know i can BRIDGE the two connections, which is NOT the same as TEAMING nics. Quote from overclockers.net: " Bridging is usually used when you wish to combine two network connections, but not necessarily have them doing the same task (an example is if you want a VM to appear as a real machine on your network). You can bridge the VM's software NIC (if it has one) with a physical card giving it direct access to then LAN (rather than doing NAT)

It does make the computer see them as 1, but they'll only have one connection to the LAN/Internet.

Now on to teaming.

Teaming is quite different than bridging in the fact that the two network cards will be performing the same task. It is used for increasing LAN bandwidth, usually on servers. "

If i am missing something, i would like to know how to TEAM my nics, but i dont think i do. I have really studied this topic a lot! :)

no

unless you have gigabit ethernet and want to use one cable for ethernet and one to connect to your other PCs, the two cables will just be redundant connection

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I might ask myself in your situation if even trying this is worth it.  Do you transfer a lot of large files around all the time?  Because gigabit ethernet should already get you a good 100 to 125 MB/s transfer speed.  Is doubling that going to really matter to you?  Consider that if you do double it, you will likely exceed the read and write speeds of the HDD on one or both sides of the transfer, making that a new bottleneck in the setup.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

NIC teaming isn't as helpful to make your connection faster as much as it's better in allowing multiple connections to said PC, which is why you don't see it much on client PC's but see it a lot on servers.  Plus the switches that support it are expensive and usually are loud corporate DC models.