Worth Water cooling a 7870?

Epikas

Hey, I got a Asus HD7870 Direct CU2 graphics card, and was wondering if it is worth cooling with a water block

This is the card I have, and the block I was going to purchase.

This will be hooked up to my Swifttech H220.

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=73627&vpn=HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1377

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16421/ex-blc-1164/EK_Radeon_7870_GTX_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Nickel_CSQ_EK-FC7870_-_Nickel.html?tl=g30c309s1705

Cpu: Intel i5 3570k @4.3Ghz *cooled by Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme* | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy-M | Motherbord: Asus P8Z77-M Ram: Patriot Viper 3 8gb @1600mhz | Video Card: Asus HD7870 @1180/1300 |

Power Supply: Corsair HX650 Monitor: LG 22EN43 | KeyBord: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid  | Mouse: Corsair M60 | Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Z|Headset : Audio Techinca ATH-M50 |

Storage : Sandisk Extreme 120gb and 1tb Seagate Barracuda |

The Asus DCU2 Isn't reference therefore you need a universal block. Then you need RAM and MOSFET heatsinks and it's just not worth it.

for performance not really. but if you have cash laying around and are looking to pimp your system go ahead..

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Not worth it. Getting a second 7870 would be better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So maybe the new r9 290x with a waterblock?

Cpu: Intel i5 3570k @4.3Ghz *cooled by Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme* | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy-M | Motherbord: Asus P8Z77-M Ram: Patriot Viper 3 8gb @1600mhz | Video Card: Asus HD7870 @1180/1300 |

Power Supply: Corsair HX650 Monitor: LG 22EN43 | KeyBord: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid  | Mouse: Corsair M60 | Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Z|Headset : Audio Techinca ATH-M50 |

Yeah but only one 240mm rad isn't enough for a custom loop like that. I'd much rather save some extra cash and get a good loop.

If you're going to watercool a 7xxx series card, you'd be better off buying a 7950 / 7970 and putting a Swiftech Komodo series full cover waterblock on it. However, these cards have to be reference (unfortunately) so good luck trying to hunt those down. If you don't want the looks, you'd still be better off finding a 79xx card from another vendor and watercooling that. With GPU14 over, the prices are already starting to fluctuate so keep your eyes peeled.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Swiftech Komodo series full cover waterblock on it.

Why so specific? There are a lot of other great waterblocks out there.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Why so specific? There are a lot of other great waterblocks out there.

I know. I just chose to recognize that one because of it's aesthetic appeal. I'm aware that there are other great options out there, with the likes of EK, Aquacomputer and Heatkiller.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I know. I just chose to recognize that one because of it's aesthetic appeal. I'm aware that there are other great options out there, with the likes of EK, Aquacomputer and Heatkiller.

Some people prefer different things. ;)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I'll go one even better.

Dare I say the ASUS R9 290x Poseidon?  B)

Maybe wishful thinking?  ;)

So would a custom loop, with 1x 360mm rad and 1x 120 thick rad be good for a 4770k and one of those new amd cpu's comming out?

I'll go one even better.

Dare I say the ASUS R9 290x Poseidon?  B)

Maybe wishful thinking?  ;)

That will leave a very deep hole in my wallet :P

That will leave a very deep hole in my wallet :P

For that card?  I would just have to eat cereal for 3 squares a day for awhile.

No power, no phone, no heat, no TV..........It would be worth it. 

For that card?  I would just have to eat cereal for 3 squares a day for awhile.

No power, no phone, no heat, no TV..........It would be worth it. 

You would also have to be very lucky. They only make a limited quantity of those cards~

I think it be easier to get hit by lighting than affording/buying one of those amazing cards

You would also have to be very lucky. They only make a limited quantity of those cards~

I think it be easier to get hit by lighting than affording/buying one of those amazing cards

They are "Going" to make?

Or are you saying they are "Already" available for purchase?

short answer: no

long answer: No.

Edited by Windspeed36

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I wouldn't do it. Sell it, get an R7950 and watercool that. You will be better off.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

ive got 2 watercooled hd 7870s full cover waterblock + backplates it looks awesome

• 3 weeks later...

The Asus DCU2 Isn't reference therefore you need a universal block. Then you need RAM and MOSFET heatsinks and it's just not worth it.

According to this site. It claims that I do in fact have a reference PCB.

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_gpus=666

According to this site. It claims that I do in fact have a reference PCB.

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_gpus=666

Then it is proably correct. If in doubt contact the watercooling retailer you are purchasing the WB from. If they say "Yes" and it doesn't fit they will probably accept returns.

short answer: no

long answer: No.

Please do not make ridiculously long irrelevant posts.