2 480 or 1070…?

Go to solution Solved by Sebbydo,
2 minutes ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

As I've said before on other threads, there's no point in asking this right now, we haven't seen real world benchmarks and tests for both,  nor have we seen thermals (I'm pretty sure), so be patient and your question will be answered. However, I still think the question can be solved in different situations. Ie, if you have some money now, and some later, then buy a 480 and another one later. But if you have a lot of money now, by the 1070 etc.

Ok cheers I will keep that in mind 

Hey guys I m just wondering if I should get a 1070 now or wait a bit and get to Rx 480s.also I'm just wondering if my mobo supports sli, I know it does crossfire but not sure about sli. It is asrock fatality h 170 performance.

A single GPU will produce less heat and noise, and use less power. But 2x 480 will likely significantly dominate a 1070 in performance, according to the most recent leaked benchmarks we have.

Also, there can be problems with multi-GPU setups, but a lot of multi-GPU system owners don't experience any, or experience only small ones.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Sebbydo said:

Hey guys I m just wondering if I should get a 1070 now or wait a bit and get to Rx 480s.also I'm just wondering if my mobo supports sli, I know it does crossfire but not sure about sli. It is asrock fatality h 170 performance.

We can't recommend either until we have numbers on the RX 480's performance. Right now we only have leaks and some suggest very different performance levels for the card.

Also most motherboards can do Crossfire because it's easier to support than SLI, which requires a very specific chip in the PCI Bus.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

A single GPU will produce less heat and noise, and use less power. But 2x 480 will likely significantly dominate a 1070 in performance, according to the most recent leaked benchmarks we have.

Also, there can be problems with multi-GPU setups, but a lot of multi-GPU system owners don't experience any, or experience only small ones.

Ok thanks I will just wait for the 480 to come out. I'm not afraid of multiple GPUs.??

As I've said before on other threads, there's no point in asking this right now, we haven't seen real world benchmarks and tests for both,  nor have we seen thermals (I'm pretty sure), so be patient and your question will be answered. However, I still think the question can be solved in different situations. Ie, if you have some money now, and some later, then buy a 480 and another one later. But if you have a lot of money now, by the 1070 etc.

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

We can't recommend either until we have numbers on the RX 480's performance. Right now we only have leaks and some suggest very different performance levels for the card.

Also most motherboards can do Crossfire because it's easier to support than SLI, which requires a very specific chip in the PCI Bus.

Sweet I will just wait until the 480 is out or proper benchmarks are released 

2 minutes ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

Ok cheers I will keep that in mind 

Yeah. 480.

According to benchmarks its roughly the same as a 980, where the 1070 is slightly under a 980ti. Odds are the CF 480 will do much better.

- snip-

32 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yeah. 480.

According to benchmarks its roughly the same as a 980, where the 1070 is slightly under a 980ti. Odds are the CF 480 will do much better.

Ok so I will just wait and get one. Then a bit later get another one