I just purchaed a Intel 6900k

So as above I have purchased a new Intel 6900K and MSI x99 gaming pro carbon motherboard, 64GB of furyx 2666mhz ram and a samsung 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. The graphics card will be updated later down the track when AMD release the RX490 and Nvidia release the GTX 1080ti. I'm running the red team ATM.

The upgrade is from a I7 950 with a gigabyte x58ud3r motherboard and 12GB of ram built in 2010. I have been saving the money for the upgrade for almost 5 years.

The question is do you think I was stupid to upgrade considering Intels crazy pricing at the moment? I plan on keeping the rig for at least 5 years. 

2 minutes ago, G9x001 said:

So as above I have purchased a new Intel 6900K and MSI x99 gaming pro carbon motherboard, 64GB of furyx 2666mhz ram and a samsung 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. The graphics card will be updated later down the track when AMD release the RX490 and Nvidia release the GTX 1080ti. I'm running the red team ATM.

The upgrade is from a I7 950 with a gigabyte x58ud3r motherboard and 12GB of ram built in 2010. I have been saving the money for the upgrade for almost 5 years.

The question is do you think I was stupid to upgrade considering Intels crazy pricing at the moment? I plan on keeping the rig for at least 5 years. 

well you were rocking a first gen i7 so i wouldnt call you 100% stupid.  

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

what do you use it for? 64gb is pretty much,even for hobby video editing/ 3d stuff

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

You might've been able to wait and see if they would do a price drop, but yeah I agree with @glitchmaster0001.

i still rock 2 x5650s in my rig still going strong there! :) 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i still rock 2 x5650s in my rig still going strong there! :) 

Oh. Yeah. I've been on an i5 2430M before I spilled water on the keyboard and disassembled that laptop about a year (or so ago) so I've been "borrowing" my mom's Lenovo G50 with an A8 6410. Hopefully I get a job here soon so I can build a couple new PCs (one for my grandma since her's still runs Vista and is either 10 years old or getting close to 10 years and one for me).

I'm probably going to go with an i5 6600K for my build and then the build I'm going to do for my grandma will either have an i3 6100 or Pentium G4400. I'm thinking I'll likely go with the i3 6100.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Oh. Yeah. I've been on an i5 2430M before I spilled water on the keyboard and disassembled that laptop about a year (or so ago) so I've been "borrowing" my mom's Lenovo G50 with an A8 6410. Hopefully I get a job here soon so I can build a couple new PCs (one for my grandma since her's still runs Vista and is either 10 years old or getting close to 10 years and one for me).

I'm probably going to go with an i5 6600K for my build and then the build I'm going to do for my grandma will either have an i3 6100 or Pentium G4400. I'm thinking I'll likely go with the i3 6100.

i dont have the money to bite the bullet and buy New PC parts, so i have to go used and find the best value for money stuff like the x5650

i dont have the money to bite the bullet and buy New PC parts, so i have to go used and find the best value for money stuff like the x5650

I was thinking about maybe going with an Ivy i5 since it seems like the performance difference between the i5 3570K and i5 6600K isn't too huge, but finding Z77 mobos seems to be really hit or miss. But going with an Ivy i5 would save me a couple hundred dollars, but I like the idea of getting something new and will make getting something new work.

20 minutes ago, G9x001 said:

That depends. What are you doing with the PC? If the answer is "gaming", then yes, you are stupid. If it's for CS:GO, then please just take the rest of your money and send it to me. I'll PM you my Paypal information.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I was thinking about maybe going with an Ivy i5 since it seems like the performance difference between the i5 3570K and i5 6600K isn't too huge, but finding Z77 mobos seems to be really hit or miss. But going with an Ivy i5 would save me a couple hundred dollars, but I like the idea of getting something new and will make getting something new work.

there are risks to buying used but when you are in my boat, getting money is difficult so i have no other choice since biting the bullet isn't an option for me 

there are risks to buying used but when you are in my boat, getting money is difficult so i have no other choice since biting the bullet isn't an option for me 

True, there are risks involved when buying used. But sometimes the savings on used parts is really nice. But yeah, as long as I get a job here soon I should be able to afford the two computers and my class trip to France.

I guess I have the fortune of still being in High School and not having to financially support myself yet. But I don't know.

I really hope this isn't a gaming build. You could have had a better gaming system with an i7-6700k, a Z170 board, and an 850 EVO for a third of the price. Then instead of holding onto it for five years build a new system in 2.5 years to eclipse the 6700k / Z170 combo with a bigger SSD for another third of the price.

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

True, there are risks involved when buying used. But sometimes the savings on used parts is really nice. But yeah, as long as I get a job here soon I should be able to afford the two computers and my class trip to France.

I guess I have the fortune of still being in High School and not having to financially support myself yet. But I don't know.

im still in high school too, money is tight in my family so i dont get much, i have to do the same thing as my sister and pay for my own college when i graduate high school 

im still in high school too, money is tight in my family so i dont get much, i have to do the same thing as my sister and pay for my own college when i graduate high school 

Oh. Money is pretty tight for us too, but I'm an only child so I guess it isn't so bad I just need to get a job so I can do/buy some of the stuff I was interested in buying and doing. I'm not sure I want to go to college or even for what. I'll probably go to a State University if anything, though shockingly the University of Minnesota is pretty cheap, but it is more selective in terms of requiring higher ACT/SAT scores.

42 minutes ago, McHox said:

what do you use it for? 64gb is pretty much,even for hobby video editing/ 3d stuff

It's mainly a gaming rig. I also do a bit of video editing using Adobe premiere. But mainly gaming I will also be running either Crossfire or SLI cards when the RX490 or 1080ti release. 

3 minutes ago, G9x001 said:

It's mainly a gaming rig. I also do a bit of video editing using Adobe premiere. But mainly gaming I will also be running either Crossfire or SLI cards when the RX490 or 1080ti release. 

too bad you bought the ram before consulting us... then i wouldve recommended you 32GB 

too bad you bought the ram before consulting us... then i wouldve recommended you 32GB 

Eh he can just be a tab pirate in chrome with a few windows open.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Eh he can just be a tab pirate in chrome with a few windows open.

true true, or he could just make a RAMDisk to load the stuff he needs to quickly access. 

54 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

you just wasted your money on the carbon, RVE shits on it mate.

I couldn't afford the extra $300 I live in Australia so the prices are really stupid here. And i was going with a Blue build.

19 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

true true, or he could just make a RAMDisk to load the stuff he needs to quickly access. 

I was going to make a ram disk for BF4 and then use it for BF1 when it is released. MSI have very simple to use ram disk software. I have never used a ram disk before but I hope it works. It does look pretty easy on the MSI tutorial video.   

1 minute ago, G9x001 said:

I was going to make a ram disk for BF4 and then use it for BF1 when it is released. MSI have very simple to use ram disk software. I have never used a ram disk before but I hope it works. It does look pretty easy on the MSI tutorial video.   

wait MSI has a ram disk software? i have 24GB of DDR3 memory so id like to make one as well. what is the software called? 

2 minutes ago, G9x001 said:

BF4 takes 60GB of total space with all the DLCs and you have 64GB of total ram. so your PC would only have 4GB of ram useable for the game and windows 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

wait MSI has a ram disk software? i have 24GB of DDR3 memory so id like to make one as well. what is the software called? 

It's part of the MSI command center software.

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

BF4 takes 60GB of total space with all the DLCs and you have 64GB of total ram. so your PC would only have 4GB of ram useable for the game and windows 

I only have BF4 Final stand DLC installed. I don't really play the other maps.