4K down to 1080p

TubsAlwaysWins
Go to solution Solved by mikat,

yes

Is it possible to use a 4K display but play games on it at 1080p or 2K (for higher framerate or longer battery life)

Breaking things 1 day at a time

23 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Is it possible to use a 4K display but play games on it at 1080p or 2K (for higher framerate or longer battery life)

it is possible of course......but what do you mean by battery life? Battery for what?

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

23 hours ago, I am an SSD said:

it is possible of course......but what do you mean by battery life? Battery for what?

oh i realised you may be talking about a notebook...silly me....in that case, yes you might as well game at 1080p because i doubt you can do much with 4k on a portable device

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, I am an SSD said:

I'd guess for a laptop.. IMO, a 4K display on a typical laptop screen (~15 inches) isn't really worth it. Considering the tradeoffs in gaming performance and battery life, I'd just stick with a 1080 display.

yes

if the game doesnt let you adjust the resolution you can always change the windows resolution

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

Battery on a laptop with a 4K display 

the battery life should not change, since it will still power all the pixels.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I'd guess for a laptop.. IMO, a 4K display on a typical laptop screen (~15 inches) isn't really worth it. Considering the tradeoffs in gaming performance and battery life, I'd just stick with a 1080 display.

As far as I know it's the only option 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yes

if the game doesnt let you adjust the resolution you can always change the windows resolution

let me correct that: if the game doesnt let you adjust the resolution you need to hit the dev in the back of the head with a baseball bat.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

but the laptop doesnt need to work as hard to render stuff. if you vsync the game at 1080p60, the kind of laptop that would ship with a 4K display would surely not run 100% load.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Ok. But still easier load is a important thing 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but the laptop doesnt need to work as hard to render stuff. if you vsync the game at 1080p60, the kind of laptop that would ship with a 4K display would surely not run 100% load.

Depends on if he turns his settings up, if he pushes his laptop to the max it can do in all games it will not make a difference.

When he plays 4k games it will push the hardware to the max, but so can 1080p do, so there should not be a difference.

You can get a laptop with a 4k screen and intel HD so that "the kind of laptop that would ship with a 4K display would surely not run 100% load" is BS, they put 4k screen on everything they can.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

and even with Vsync the hardware will give everything it got, the only way for it not to do that is to get one of those programs where you can set the FPS to be X, so if you play a easy game the GPU will run at the speed where it just can get X fps and nothing more.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

and even with Vsync the hardware will give everything it got, the only way for it not to do that is to get one of those programs where you can set the FPS to be X, so if you play a easy game the GPU will run at the speed where it just can get X fps and nothing more.

isnt that exactly what vsync does? i mean... i use vsync to keep my games at 60fps, and set my game to use about 80-90% gpu load at 60fps.

isnt that exactly what vsync does? i mean... i use vsync to keep my games at 60fps, and set my game to use about 80-90% gpu load at 60fps.

Vsync syncs frames up and does so the game gets a 60fps cap and that is it. It will also add a delay. From what I have seen it will not help anything with how fast the GPU runs.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Vsync syncs frames up and does so the game gets a 60fps cap and that is it. It will also add a delay. From what I have seen it will not help anything with how fast the GPU runs.

it pretty much just tells the game to not render frames faster than every 16.6 milliseconds (60Hz) meaning the gpu can slow down, using less energy and running cooler.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it pretty much just tells the game to not render frames faster than every 16.6 milliseconds (60Hz) meaning the gpu can slow down, using less energy and running cooler.

I have never seen the GPU slow down when you put Vsync on, but even if it happened some of the other software (cannot remember the name) will be better since the delay Vsync adds can be life or death in FPS games.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I have never seen the GPU slow down when you put Vsync on, but even if it happened some of the other software (cannot remember the name) will be better since the delay Vsync adds can be life or death in FPS games.

if you actually want an example...

my poor little samsung RC530 ran a PSX emulator at 640x480 (instead of its 1366x768 desktop resolution) at a locked framerate (as in, what vsync does) for 20% longer on battery than it lasted just staring at a blank desktop.

and if you're playing games where every single frame can be a matter of life or death you shouldnt be doing it on battery on a laptop, since performance will be hurting either way ;)

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you actually want an example...

my poor little samsung RC530 ran a PSX emulator at 640x480 (instead of its 1366x768 desktop resolution) at a locked framerate (as in, what vsync does) for 20% longer on battery than it lasted just staring at a blank desktop.

and if you're playing games where every single frame can be a matter of life or death you shouldnt be doing it on battery on a laptop, since performance will be hurting either way ;)

It is not that every frame matter it is just that a delay in frames can really be life or death in FPS games.

huh good to know.

It is not that every frame matter it is just that a delay in frames can really be life or death in FPS games.

huh good to know.

also, thats why CS:GO has triple buffering, which basicly caps the game at 240FPS instead of 60, and double buffering that caps the game at 120FPS. (and offcourse by default source engine doesnt go past 300FPS.)

also, thats why CS:GO has triple buffering, which basicly caps the game at 240FPS instead of 60, and double buffering that caps the game at 120FPS. (and offcourse by default source engine doesnt go past 300FPS.)

lol Fraps has shown 600fps in CSGO with my 780ti :D 

lol Fraps has shown 600fps in CSGO with my 780ti :D 

you can turn that cap off, i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up doing that for CS:GO ;)

you can turn that cap off, i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up doing that for CS:GO ;)

They were like: Okay guys games like high refresh rate, (guy1) this engine can do 300fps, gamers don't need anything more than that. (guy2) Fuck that shit let us bump it up to 600fps, why? because we can! 

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

They were like: Okay guys games like high refresh rate, (guy1) this engine can do 300fps, gamers don't need anything more than that. (guy2) Fuck that shit let us bump it up to 600fps, why? because we can! 

i actually had to turn off that cap to see how well my system could do in HL2:lost coast benchmark.