Merging SSD ?

Go to solution Solved by liquidmagma,
6 minutes ago, Abdullatif said:

Hello guys,

i have a 120GB kingston SSD and it almost full now i wanted to buy Sumsange 850 Evo 250GB or 500GB but i'm worry about Formatting my C drive because my SSD has My windows installed in it ii thinked about merging mt new ssd with the old one without losing any data is that possible ? please help me guys because i really need it.

buy new ssd and then clone the old one to the new one. and nothing will be lost!

Hello guys,

i have a 120GB kingston SSD and it almost full now i wanted to buy Sumsange 850 Evo 250GB or 500GB but i'm worry about Formatting my C drive because my SSD has My windows installed in it ii thinked about merging mt new ssd with the old one without losing any data is that possible ? please help me guys because i really need it.

Can't you just clone your 120 gb drive to your new drive? Should have plenty of space... After that, you can format your small SSD, and sell (give?) it to me.

6 minutes ago, Abdullatif said:

Hello guys,

buy new ssd and then clone the old one to the new one. and nothing will be lost!

I wouldn't get a Samsung tbh...

You can't update the firmware of your ssd unless you allow samsung to do data collection on your pc. 

I would get a crucial, they are a prefect alternative and they don't require your data if you want to update the firmware.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/samsung-magician-software-refuses-firmware-update-without-data-collection.222528/

(can't find a news article about it atm, but they are out there)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

thanks guys for all your replays i think i will go for the new ssd and clone my old one as you guys said :)

20 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I wouldn't get a Samsung tbh...

You can't update the firmware of your ssd unless you allow samsung to do data collection on your pc. 

I would get a crucial, they are a prefect alternative and they don't require your data if you want to update the firmware.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/samsung-magician-software-refuses-firmware-update-without-data-collection.222528/

(can't find a news article about it atm, but they are out there)

You shouldn't update your firmware anyway unless it's absolutely needed.

34 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You shouldn't update your firmware anyway unless it's absolutely needed.

Well that's true for most things, but for SSD's almost every firmware update improved performance and/or reliability so in most cases it is recommended to update the firmware of an ssd if you can.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Well that's true for most things, but for SSD's almost every firmware update improved performance and/or reliability so in most cases it is recommended to update the firmware of an ssd if you can.

Performance can't really be improved when you're already saturating the bus.

Reliability maybe, but unless the drive was terrible out of the box, I don't think you should be concerned about that "better chance at getting hit by lightning twice" odds. Besides, this isn't 2012. You're either good out of the box, or you suck and everyone's going to raise hell about it.

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I disagree. You can improve consistency, and a single sata SSD isn't saturating the bus yet. Getting close? Yes. There? No. And that's assuming that the drive is operating at the peak speed.

Still probably nothing that a user will notice though.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I disagree. You can improve consistency, and a single sata SSD isn't saturating the bus yet. Getting close? Yes. There? No. And that's assuming that the drive is operating at the peak speed.

Still probably nothing that a user will notice though.

Well I guess 550MB/s technically isn't saturating a bus with a theoretical limit of 600MB/s.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

SATA is 6Gbps with 8/10b encoding. Your maximum throughput period is around 600MB/s.

Ah you're right, my bad!