Want a no Bottleneck Motherboard for 5930k or 5960X i7 processor.

11 minutes ago, stconquest said:

DPC?  Data per channel?  RAM right?

nop

DPC - Deferred Procedure Call, basically how Windows handles drivers 

it ties in with interrupt service routine (ISR), a callback function in microcontroller firmware

On 6/12/2016 at 4:24 AM, zMeul said:

nop

DPC - Deferred Procedure Call, basically how Windows handles drivers 

it ties in with  interrupt service routine (ISR), a callback function in microcontroller firmware

Just started reading through.

@zMeul  " ...less than 500 microseconds usually gets the green light, but the lower the better. "  While the worst board (AsRock Z87 Extreme 6AC) does the task in 314 MS.  :P

On 6/12/2016 at 4:15 AM, mhamrin said:

This is a pretty insane deal! Love it!

And...yes. I need 32gb ram. Tom's had some good things to say about the trident z. Thoughts?

TridentZ are $20-$30 more than this set... went Black/Red for this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Newegg)  <<Can switch the fans or paint the housing from white to black
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $996.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-12 05:35 EDT-0400

37 minutes ago, stconquest said:

" ...less than 500 microseconds usually gets the green light, but the lower the better. "  While the worst board (AsRock Z87 Extreme 6AC) does the task in 314 MS.  :P

well yeah ... but if does it with multiple HW, your experience will get shitty

and then you have the Windows' TDR who'll restart your graphics driver if it "lags" out

53 minutes ago, stconquest said:

DPC?  Data per channel?  RAM right?

I know the Gigabyte X99 SOC has shorter buss lengths to the CPU for the DIMM slots which has proven to be marginally effective for pro overclockers.  So what is the performance translation to real world use cases?

I know this is way outdated, but humor me.

it's deferred procedure call - that's driver level stuff, basically how fast does a driver respond and if there are any abnormal time periods where kernel is waiting on a driver response, that would indicate problems like inability to cleanly play back movies or audio on that system

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 hours ago, mhamrin said:

I don't need a lot of extras I just want to maximize the 5930k processor and also want to be compatible if i decide to upgrade to 5960x later...but i'm on a budget now.

I looked up the word budget in the dictionary and there was no 5930k or 5960x. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 6/12/2016 at 3:38 AM, stconquest said:

To a degree, but not really.  The silicon chip determines the max overclock more than the cooling.  That is why people get different results with different chips (the same model) when they push a CPU to a great degree using LN2 (liquid nitrogen).  The cooling just let's you push farther no matter the CPU.

The 5390K is just throwing money away.

That's going to save me $200. Thanks!

On 6/12/2016 at 3:40 AM, stconquest said:

Gimme a budget and let me whip up a build, then you can compare and we can discuss more.

@mhamrin  The GTX 980 is dead.  We have $200-$250 cards that will close in on it's performance while using less voltage.

Can you help me out on this one. Very interested in this! More graphics processing power...lower volt...lower temps. Sign me up!

What are the options?

On 6/12/2016 at 4:06 AM, GlassBomb said:

You can also change the motherboard to the newer revision if you feel like it, it's only another $10 for it. Asus X99-A II

But that's more or less what I would have gone for as well.

Nice. Thanks! I see this new version mobo just came out. I've got a few q's but I'm leaning towards this one now.

1. given this new revision has anyone noticed any issues with it?

2. I'm not understanding the big price diff between this and the deluxe x99 a II. Any thoughts.

3. Longevity is very important. are there any stats on manufacturer reliability over long term? Asrock, msi, asus etc.

Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, mhamrin said:

Nice. Thanks! I see this new version mobo just came out. I've got a few q's but I'm leaning towards this one now.

2. I'm not understanding the big price diff between this and the deluxe x99 a II. Any thoughts.

3. Longevity is very important. are there any stats on manufacturer reliability over long term? Asrock, msi, asus etc.

Thanks!!!

Version 2 can do 3 way sli with 5820k and 6800k. The old one can't.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Can you help me out on this one. Very interested in this! More graphics processing power...lower volt...lower temps. Sign me up!

What are the options?

You have three options for GPUs right now, I know it sounds weird.  This is the way it is.

Top of the line is the GTX 1080.  Avoid the FE versions.  FE stands for Founder's Edition or reference design.  They are hot and loud.  The GTX 1080 may be the best right now, but you will definitely pay for it.  $700 USD.

The GTX 1070 launched on June 10th.  It is the second best choice and will run around $400.  Again, avoid the FE version.  You would have to wait a bit for better 1070 coolers to hit the market.

The RX 480 is mostly a mystery.  Early showcases and a few leaks (leaks never to be fully trusted) indicate it will be performing around R9 390X/GTX 980 levels.  The RX 480 is released on the 29th of this month.  ...and yet again, wait for open air coolers avoiding the reference design when possible.

Thanks!!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nW4NnQ/asus-motherboard-x99aii

asus-a-ii-preview00.jpg

It ( Asus X99-A II ) has more features, newer features.  Definitely worth paying $10 more for.  The new one has a fancier I/O shroud and even RGB lighting.  =D

The Deluxe is a higher end model.  They add value with a more robust build quality and extras that most people do not use.  It is all about features as the core performance is 99% the same as other models.

As far as longevity goes, any board "should"  last well over 10 years.  Of course, you never know.  There is no way to guarantee a motherboard won't have issues no matter how much you spend.  Plenty of people have problems with $500 motherboards.

25 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Version 2 can do 3 way sli with 5820k and 6800k. The old one can't.

All the ASUS X99 A boards support 3 way SLI.

Some people in this topic obviously dont understand that a motherboard is exaly one of the most important parts of a system.

You can buy the best components like CPU, SSD´s and a GTX1080.

But in the end its all pluged into the motherboard.

I dont say that you should buy the most expensive motherboard you could buy.

You should buy a motherboard based on what you need.

But people say that a motherboard doesnt matter, have obviously no clue what they are talking about.

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Some people in this topic obviously dont understand that a motherboard is exaly one of the most important parts of a system.

You can buy the best components like CPU, SSD´s and a GTX1080.

But in the end its all pluged into the motherboard.

I dont say that you should buy the most expensive motherboard you could buy.

You should buy a motherboard based on what you need.

But people say that a motherboard doesnt matter, have obviously no clue what they are talking about.

Please elaborate.  Tell us the benefits of a more expensive motherboard.

10 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Please elaborate.  Tell us the benefits of a more expensive motherboard.

Better VRM implementation, which can result in better overclocking potential, and better performance, better overall stability and reliability etc etc.

But yeah allot of haters love the cheap Msi X99 boards to the bone, without having a single clue about how badly Msi is cheaping out on the VRM cirquitry.

Also i dont speak about a "more" expensive motherboard persee.

But mainly a better motherboard with better VRM implementation.

The Asus X99-A II is a board with a decent VRM implementation.

Like i said in his other topic, the Msi X99S Sli krait is a pile of crap.

But yeah most people that dont understand VRM cirquitry like i do.

Will allways make comments like a motherboard doesnt matter etc bla bla.

And that is realy hurting my head.

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Better VRM implementation, which can result in better overclocking potential, and better performance, better overall stability and reliability etc etc.

But yeah allot of haters love the cheap Msi X99 boards to the bone, without having a single clue about how badly Msi is cheaping out on the VRM cirquitry.

We covered this information here already.  Including MSI's questionable VRM designs.  Not to great detail I must admit.

16 minutes ago, stconquest said:

We covered this information here already.  Including MSI's questionable VRM designs.  Not to great detail I must admit.

Thats exactly the key.

I have not seen any correct detailed information about those particular Msi X99 boards covered in this topic.

To me, on a powerhungry platform that X99 basicly is.

A decent VRM implementation is important, since most people will try to overclock their chips.

But that of course doesnt mean that you should buy the most expensive board on the planet.

But my point is that there are better boards then those cheaper Msi´s kraits and raiders etc.

Motherboards that are cheap, are cheap for a reason.

As far as the motherboard you spoke about above the Asus X99-A II

That is exaly a great board with 8 true phases for cpu vcore, comming from a fully digital controlled pwm from IR.

16 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Thats exactly the key.

I have not seen any correct detailed information about those particular Msi X99 boards covered in this topic.

To me, on a powerhungry platform that X99 basicly is.

A decent VRM implementation is important, since most people will try to overclock their chips.

But that of course doesnt mean that you should buy the most expensive board on the planet.

But my point is that there are better boards then those cheaper Msi´s kraits and raiders etc.

Motherboards that are cheap, are cheap for a reason.

As far as the motherboard you spoke about above the Asus X99-A II

That is exaly a great board with 8 true phases for cpu vcore, comming from a fully digital controlled pwm from IR.

This is because it is wholly unnecessary until now.  No build here recommended a Krait or Raider board.  A non-issue.

The buyer in this thread is very much learning about all available components and their "real" value when the scope of the retail market comes into play.

Instead of running in here to yell at everyone to call them stupid, share your information objectively.

Can you prove that the Krait and Raider boards will buckle under the load of voltage a highly overclocked 5820K will need? 

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

You have three options for GPUs right now, I know it sounds weird.  This is the way it is.

Top of the line is the GTX 1080.  Avoid the FE versions.  FE stands for Founder's Edition or reference design.  They are hot and loud.  The GTX 1080 may be the best right now, but you will definitely pay for it.  $700 USD.

The GTX 1070 launched on June 10th.  It is the second best choice and will run around $400.  Again, avoid the FE version.  You would have to wait a bit for better 1070 coolers to hit the market.

The RX 480 is mostly a mystery.  Early showcases and a few leaks (leaks never to be fully trusted) indicate it will be performing around R9 390X/GTX 980 levels.  The RX 480 is released on the 29th of this month.  ...and yet again, wait for open air coolers avoiding the reference design when possible.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nW4NnQ/asus-motherboard-x99aii

asus-a-ii-preview00.jpg

It ( Asus X99-A II ) has more features, newer features.  Definitely worth paying $10 more for.  The new one has a fancier I/O shroud and even RGB lighting.  =D

The Deluxe is a higher end model.  They add value with a more robust build quality and extras that most people do not use.  It is all about features as the core performance is 99% the same as other models.

As far as longevity goes, any board "should"  last well over 10 years.  Of course, you never know.  There is no way to guarantee a motherboard won't have issues no matter how much you spend.  Plenty of people have problems with $500 motherboards.

Good stuff! I was looking at a $520 GTX 980. N.Egg has a referb of this same one for 399. In some cases referbs can be better because common issues can get ironed out. Not sure if that applies in this case though. I would rather pull the trigger on the GTX 1070 for the same price. Extremely helpful!!!

The mobo discussion, although a bit heated here, has been very helpful from all parties. I really am just trying to get up to speed on the info. I've spent days at tom's hardware. Although got some good info there, I got more data here in a much shorter time. Yall are gurus and that's why I came here.

I feel pretty confident on the above MB. Only thing I still don't understand is what are the " extra features" that the other mentioned. Wonder if it has to do with bios interface options.

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

Does bios have anything to do with added features of the board? Can't remember which MB it was but there was on that had a very nice GUI that seemed to be set up for overclocking config.

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

Just checked pcpartpicker.com the gtx1070 seem to only be available in founders edition for $449. Wonder if the others are just out of stock. Any idea when it'll be available? I'd pre-order if that was an option somewhere.

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

Instead of running in here to yell at everyone to call them stupid, share your information objectively.

I didnt call anyone stupid, as far as i´m concerned.

43 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

I didnt call anyone stupid, as far as i´m concerned.

I am so glad you pointed that out...

How about being a little more useful and answering the questioning that OP asked of you... np I will.

1 hour ago, mhamrin said:

Does bios have anything to do with added features of the board? Can't remember which MB it was but there was on that had a very nice GUI that seemed to be set up for overclocking config.

All of them have "nice" GUIs.  All of them are setup for overclocking configurations.  Even before GUIs, or UEFIs, overclocking using the BIOS was a snap.  Easy as pie.

Just checked pcpartpicker.com the gtx1070 seem to only be available in founders edition for $449. Wonder if the others are just out of stock. Any idea when it'll be available? I'd pre-order if that was an option somewhere.

Patience will be rewarded.  You have to wait on open air coolers for the GTX 1070 and the RX 480.  Even the GTX 1080 has supply issues.  Do not impulse buy or pre-order.  Wait for stock to be available.

The card was just released last week. Wait a bit longer for third party coolers to come around in the near future.

4 hours ago, stconquest said:

40 cpus lanes yes, 28 cpus lanes no. Look at my sig on it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

30 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

40 cpus lanes yes, 28 cpus lanes no. Look at my sig on it.

So x8/x8/x8 won't work on older X99 boards equipped with a 5820K?  Interesting, I did not know that.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

I am so glad you pointed that out...

How about being a little more useful and answering the questioning that OP asked of you... np I will.

All of them have "nice" GUIs.  All of them are setup for overclocking configurations.  Even before GUIs, or UEFIs, overclocking using the BIOS was a snap.  Easy as pie.

Patience will be rewarded.  You have to wait on open air coolers for the GTX 1070 and the RX 480.  Even the GTX 1080 has supply issues.  Do not impulse buy or pre-order.  Wait for stock to be available.

Good to know about MB! I'm pullin that trigger!! 

about gtx 1070" hmmm. OUCH. How long you thing?

1 minute ago, mhamrin said:

Good to know about MB! I'm pullin that trigger!! 

about gtx 1070" hmmm. OUCH. How long you thing?

Could be any day now.  I have no idea.