Want a no Bottleneck Motherboard for 5930k or 5960X i7 processor.

Everyone, this thread was created for anyone concerned about potential bottlenecks between components. Post any processor, ram, motherboard, video card combo and let's discuss optimal, NOT compatible! 

For instance, I don't care what motherboards my processor, ram, gpu is compatible with if the full potential of these components are not available through this motherboard. Why drop serious coin on one component if this component is fractionalized or bottlenecked by another component. 

The inspiration for this thread is inspired by the below...which i still don't have good any motherboard choices. Any other bottleneck concerns are welcome in this thread.

Original question: best motherboard for 5930k?

On 4/26/2015 at 3:26 PM, asim1999 said:

Rampage V Extreme. U wont take full advantage of the 40 lanes if u go with the Deluxe 

I was looking at pulling the trigger on MSI x99 sli Krait board. to match up with i7 5930k processor. Now this got me thinking that I don't want to create a bottleneck. Just because a board is compatible doesn't mean it's optimal...correct? I don't need a lot of extras I just want to maximize the 5930k processor and also want to be compatible if i decide to upgrade to 5960x later...but i'm on a budget now.

Are there any more affordable boards that won't create the bottleneck your referring to above and are still excellent boards?.

Thanks!!!!!

I'm not entirely sure what this falls under, but it's certainly not "tech news".  Moved to CPUs & motherboards for now

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

A motherboard won't bottleneck a processor if that's what you're getting at...

BTW, the X99 SLI Krait is probably one of the more mediocre X99 motherboards.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

It depends on the budget. If the budget allows you , go with some new MOBOs , like Asus rampage V extreme edition 10 , Gigabyte Designare EX , or GA-X99-Ultra Gaming. If the budget does not allows you , go with the ROG STRIX X99 GAMING. Can ya tell me what is your budget?

7 minutes ago, Alexander1235 said:

It depends on the budget. If the budget allows you , go with some new MOBOs , like Asus rampage V extreme edition 10 , Gigabyte Designare EX , or GA-X99-Ultra Gaming. If the budget does not allows you , go with the ROG STRIX X99 GAMING. Can ya tell me what is your budget?

13 minutes ago, mhamrin said:

Everyone, this thread was created for anyone concerned about potential bottlenecks between components. Post any processor, ram, motherboard, video card combo and let's discuss optimal, NOT compatible! 

For instance, I don't care what motherboards my processor, ram, gpu is compatible with if the full potential of these components are not available through this motherboard. Why drop serious coin on one component if this component is fractionalized or bottlenecked by another component. 

The inspiration for this thread is inspired by the below...which i still don't have good any motherboard choices. Any other bottleneck concerns are welcome in this thread.

Original question: best motherboard for 5930k?

I was looking at pulling the trigger on MSI x99 sli Krait board. to match up with i7 5930k processor. Now this got me thinking that I don't want to create a bottleneck. Just because a board is compatible doesn't mean it's optimal...correct? I don't need a lot of extras I just want to maximize the 5930k processor and also want to be compatible if i decide to upgrade to 5960x later...but i'm on a budget now.

Are there any more affordable boards that won't create the bottleneck your referring to above and are still excellent boards?.

Thanks!!!!!

You do understand that the core performance difference between a $150 X99 board and expensive ones is 0% right?  Do yourself a favor and grab the cheapest one if you intend on a general use case scenario... as in:  You don't plan to custom cool the CPU to push it really hard for OC benching.

Again, there is no X99 motherboard on the market that will bottleneck anything in your PC.

If you have not bought the 5390K yet, don't.  Just grab a 5820K.  The 5390K is a waste of money.

2 minutes ago, Alexander1235 said:

Well I like the $200 - 325 price tag. 

So, If I go with the more budget friendly board you mentioned... what's the noticeable limitations that I will realize...given i'm pushing things to their max? 

4 minutes ago, mhamrin said:

Well I like the $200 - 325 price tag. 

So, If I go with the more budget friendly board you mentioned... what's the noticeable limitations that I will realize...given i'm pushing things to their max? 

VRM cooling.  X99 boards are all well built though.  I would probably avoid MSI because of the VRM. 

Then again it is X99 and MSI probably did a better job on their units here.

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You do understand that the core performance difference between a $150 X99 board and expensive ones is 0% right?  Do yourself a favor and grab the cheapest one if you intend on a general use case scenario... as in:  You don't plan to custom cool the CPU to push it really hard for OC benching.

Again, there is no X99 motherboard on the market that will bottleneck anything in your PC.

If you have not bought the 5390K yet, don't.  Just grab a 5820K.  The 5390K is a waste of money.

I agree with this.

The more expensive motherboards just come with some "perks or goodies" (Integrated WLAN, 2 network ports, better sound maybe, good looks).  One thing though is that some expensive boards will have 4 or more PCIe x16 slots, whereas the Asus x99a only has 3, and a bunch of other pcie 2.0 slots.  But that shouldn't create any bottlenecks.

Every full ATX X99 board has the same chipset, the same ram modules, same memory slots, same everything.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I have serious bottleneck with my quadcore running a backtesting software platform. When running this program all cores/threads are being used. I think the 6 core will fix the problem but if not I'll go with the 5960 8 core. Also, will be liquid cooling and gtx 980. 

2 minutes ago, mhamrin said:

I have serious bottleneck with my quadcore running a backtesting software platform. When running this program all cores/threads are being used. I think the 6 core will fix the problem but if not I'll go with the 5960 8 core. Also, will be liquid cooling and gtx 980. 

So grab a six core 5820K for much less than the 5390K.  Both are six core with hyper threading.

Why are you liquid cooling a GTX 980? 

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

So grab a six core 5820K for much less than the 5390K.  Both are six core with hyper threading.

Why are you liquid cooling a GTX 980? 

I think he said that he'll use liquid cooling on the CPU , and after he said he'll have a gtx 980.

1 minute ago, Alexander1235 said:

I think he said that he'll use liquid cooling on the CPU , and after he said he'll have a gtx 980.

Ah, you are right.  TY.

Changes nothing though... Any X99 board will be able to provide enough clean power to the CPU.

On 6/12/2016 at 3:20 AM, stconquest said:

I know my novicness is shining through but isn't the added gigahertzing of the 5930K worth the extra per core? 

On 6/12/2016 at 3:25 AM, Alexander1235 said:

yes...correct...

I think he though that he will have a sli in the future , and prob he saw a MOBO that have one x16 PCIe slot and one 8x PCIe slot. Idk.

1 minute ago, mhamrin said:

I know my novicness is shining through but isn't the added gigahertzing of the 5930K worth the extra per core? 

Not when you can punch in a few numbers and overclock the 5820K.

The fact is:  You can get a 5820K and 5390K side by side and the 5820K will overclock more and surpass the clock speed of the more expensive CPU.

3 minutes ago, xentropa said:

Fixt :P

Because my charts are also graphic intensive. Do you have another recommendation?

I think he though that he will have a sli in the future , and prob he saw a MOBO that have one x16 PCIe slot and one 8x PCIe slot. Idk.

You should not SLI GTX 980s.  The are going to be competitive with the mid range RX 480 and possibly the GTX 1060.

You will not get higher CPU performance by getting a higher end X99 motherboard. It MIGHT make a difference if you run with LN2 cooling, but I am pretty sure you won't do that. 

When you buy a motherboard you should just look at if it has the ports and features you want. Things like "do I want 1 or 2 Ethernet ports?" or "what size do I want it to be?". Performance should not be on your mind (at least not for X99). 

2 minutes ago, mhamrin said:

Because my charts are also graphic intensive. Do you have another recommendation?

Wait, you have not bought the GPU yet?

3 minutes ago, mhamrin said:

The single difference between the 5820k and the 5930k is that the 5930k have more PCI Express Lanes. 

The single difference between the 5820k and the 5930k is that the 5930k have more PCI Express Lanes. 

...and that is not a difference that translates to any performance increase in ANY dual card setup.

4 minutes ago, Alexander1235 said:

I will possibly be using sli and will have 2 and eventually up to 6 monitors in the futures. 

@mhamrin

If you give us your budget (assuming you have not bought anything yet), we (I) can give you suggestions to maximize performance.

Just tell us what applications you plan to use so we can look up any hardware advantages.