When does the GTX Titan Throttle

Silentghost14
Go to solution Solved by Silentghost14,
4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I guess that pretty much confirms it to be credible. Thanks to everyone who has posted I really appreciated your help.

My friend is having issues with his GTX Titan and I think hes is thermal throttling at 87c. I cant seem to find a direct answer searching forums about were his temps should be at. I was wondering if anyone else has experience dealing with GTX Titan cards could help clarify when it should start to thermal throttle. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

My friend is having issues with his GTX Titan and I think hes is thermal throttling at 87c. I cant seem to find a direct answer searching forums about were his temps should be at. I was wondering if anyone else has experience dealing with GTX Titan cards could help clarify when it should start to thermal throttle. Thanks.

Increase the fan speed GPU.

Add more fans to the case for better airflow.

It throttles when it it set to throttle.  Would you rather have a broken Titan X?

thats normal, titan Xs thermal throttle

increase the fan speed or buy a better cooler so it doesnt throttle

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Increase the fan speed GPU.

Add more fans to the case for better airflow.

It throttles when it it set to throttle.  Would you rather have a broken Titan X?

I can tell when a GPU is throttling. The problem I am having it my friend does not know much about computers and all I have to go on is the bits of information he give me. I know different GPU's have different tolerances for how much heat they can handle. "Increase the fan speed GPU. Add more fans to the case for better airflow." I understand this and I have already conveyed this message to my friend. I suspect hes throttling but I do not know whats normal operating temperature for a GTX Titan is. I am more a AMD expert.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thats normal, titan Xs thermal throttle

increase the fan speed or buy a better cooler so it doesnt throttle

Its not a GTX Titan X its a regular GTX Titan.

3 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

I can tell when a GPU is throttling. The problem I am having it my friend does not know much about computers and all I have to go on is the bits of information he give me. I know different GPU's have different tolerances for how much heat they can handle. "Increase the fan speed GPU. Add more fans to the case for better airflow." I understand this and I have already conveyed this message to my friend. I suspect hes throttling but I do not know whats normal operating temperature for a GTX Titan is. I am more a AMD expert.

Tell him to dust it out, clean it.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Tell him to dust it out, clean it.

Knowing him he probably needs to clean it out anyway so I will have to ask him when the last time he cleaned it. I still have no way of clarifying if it actually is throttling because I do not know what the normal temperature range of operation is.

4 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

Knowing him he probably needs to clean it out anyway so I will have to ask him when the last time he cleaned it. I still have no way of clarifying if it actually is throttling because I do not know what the normal temperature range of operation is.

You can search tolerances for the Titan X or grab some monitoring software like MSI after burner to log the GPU's performance in game.  It will create graphs to show you where/if throttling occurs.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You can search tolerances for the Titan X or grab some monitoring software like MSI after burner to log the GPU's performance in game.  It will create graphs to show you where/if throttling occurs.

But are the tolerances the same between the Titan X and the normal Titan? I thought the Titan X was a different architecture.

24 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

But are the tolerances the same between the Titan X and the normal Titan? I thought the Titan X was a different architecture.

I think everyone can't read/has forgotten about the regular Titan and are auto-appending an X.

Max temp for that card is 95C. Card was designed to run about 80C normally. Harder you push it more than likely the lifespan will be shorter. It's entering at your own risk past stock. How long it will last is anyone's guess. My Gigabyte GTX 680 is quite a bit overclocked but runs tops of 60C so I'm less worried about failure than what I'd be in your shoes pushing 90C.

Pulled from the Nvidia forums. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

29 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

Shit, I saw GTX Titan and thought I saw Titan X... sorry.

Same thing, just find the tolerances for the GPU.

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I think everyone can't read/has forgotten about the regular Titan and are auto-appending an X.

Pulled from the Nvidia forums. 

Ya I saw that post as well. The problem I have with it was it seemed to be the only post I could that had the information about what the operation temps of the GTX Titan. So Im not sure how credible the information is or even were the original poster even got it from. So that's why i posted on here to get a second opinion or if someone know more information.

2 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

Ya I saw that post as well. The problem I have with it was it seemed to be the only post I could that had the information about what the operation temps of the GTX Titan. So Im not sure how credible the information is or even were the original poster even got it from. So that's why i posted on here to get a second opinion or if someone know more information.

Pulled from the official Nvidia website:

Maximum GPU temperature (in C)           95 C

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Pulled from the official Nvidia website:

Ya I also saw that on their website but maximum temperature does not necessarily mean the temperature at which it starts throttling. 

12 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

Ya I also saw that on their website but maximum temperature does not necessarily mean the temperature at which it starts throttling. 

wdmfiber wrote:

A GTX Titan will actually try to run at 80 degrees C. As GPU boost 2.0 is temp sensitive/controlled. The card will overclock till 80 degrees C, unless it reaches 106% of TDP first, which would be a 265 watt electrical draw.

From here:  http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1633285/gtx-titan-temperatures.html

I got to here:  http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/30.html

@Silentghost14The Titan will lower it's boost clock at 80 degrees and throttle at 94.

8 minutes ago, Silentghost14 said:

I'd take that guy's word for it then, he got the max temperature right and usually it does mean throttling as my 290 has a max temp of 94 and throttles at that.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I guess that pretty much confirms it to be credible. Thanks to everyone who has posted I really appreciated your help.