How can it be possible for a router from 2016 to not have gigabit ports?

Mr.Meerkat

Okay, this is going to be a rant post but it's about networking so here it goes.

Background story:

As some of you know I got my internet upgraded from ADSL to FTTC fiber 2 months ago (from 6mbps to 70~mbps so yay). This involved a new router and everything which is all dandy and fine but let's see, the router we got given from 2012 HAS gigabit ports while this new 2016 router has 10/100mbps ports...I had a 8 port gigabit switch so it's was all guld at the time.

current situation:

I just moved rooms (my sister is moving out so now I can have my PCs in my own room) and only right now have I found out that they aren't gigabit ports...my storage server has to stay in the living room as I already have a miner, my primary PC and my secondary PC in my room...so now I either get a new 4 port gigabit switch or...idk. I just don't understand how this could even be allowed...a fucking router for a fiber connection only has 100mbps ports...I may as well be using AC wifi for data transfers...(11MB/s with the 100mbps ports vs 50~MB/s with my lappy and PC using AC wifi...). This is stupid and yes I am just ranting but come on, fucking 100mbps ports on a 2016 router...

Review of this stupid non gigabit port router.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

lol...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

there are quite a number of even high end routers with out gigabit ports 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

But wait...

If your connection speed is only 70mbps, then why do you need more than the 100mbps hardware bottleneck from the megabit ports? I mean for your storage server that kinda sucks, but 11MBps is still pretty damn solid speed for data transfers. Since your router is the bottleneck here, what you can try doing is something similar to what LTT ran, and just run a a lan card out of one of your pcie slots so you can run two ethernet connections for "theoretically" double the speed. It does mean though that you'll suck down two ports on each connection on each device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

9 minutes ago, Atmos said:

But wait...

If your connection speed is only 70mbps, then why do you need more than the 100mbps hardware bottleneck from the megabit ports? I mean for your storage server that kinda sucks, but 11MBps is still pretty damn solid speed for data transfers. Since your router is the bottleneck here, what you can try doing is something similar to what LTT ran, and just run a a lan card out of one of your pcie slots so you can run two ethernet connections for "theoretically" double the speed. It does mean though that you'll suck down two ports on each connection on each device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

storage server

That's the reason :P (also, I'm not willing to pull 2 20~meter ethernet cables...)

Also, why would I only want 10% of the full speed? there's 4 1TB blues in there and they can all read and write at like 125~MB/s so...yeah

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its just a router with no modem function. So you can toss it and get your own router that doesn't suck.

Yes it does, it has full modem functionality (forgot to mention that in the OP lel)

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Then an aftermarket router in addition to better router/AP

but instead of saving no more than $5 themselves, I'm having to buy a new switch/router? Get my point :D 

35 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's the reason :P (also, I'm not willing to pull 2 20~meter ethernet cables...)

Also, why would I only want 10% of the full speed? there's 4 1TB blues in there and they can all read and write at like 125~MB/s so...yeah

Yes it does, it has full modem functionality (forgot to mention that in the OP lel)

Use your own router then.

If your converter terminates in a coax, then you'll need a moca bridge, which can be expensive, but if you want that speed, then it's what you'll have to do.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

-snip-

It is strange, but let's be honest this is a cheap ass router to begin with. At the first hint of "AC" WiFi at that price, you can expect some cut-downs.

Now let's look at the real reason, it's a VDSL2 router. VDSL has a theoretical speed of 350Mbps at very close distances like 100-200m. Everything after that, it deteriorates to 100Mbps and lower. TalkTalk offers up to 76Mbps, so nobody in their bright mind would order a batch of gigabit routers if they can't offer even 10% of that. Future upgrades? What upgrades, VDSL+ is at it's peak and especially at your location. The next step for your connection would be FTTH, which requires new equipment anyways.

I must admit that I am amazed at how ISPs market their products, especially in the UK. WOW YOU GET FIBER BROADBAND*

*jks, you still get adsl, the fiber is just a little closer...lel.

1 minute ago, dzonidev said:

It is strange, but let's be honest this is a cheap ass router to begin with. At the first hint of "AC" WiFi at that price, you can expect some cut-downs.

Now let's look at the real reason, it's a VDSL2 router. VDSL has a theoretical speed of 350Mbps at very close distances like 100-200m. Everything after that, it deteriorates to 100Mbps and lower. TalkTalk offers up to 76Mbps, so nobody in their bright mind would order a batch of gigabit routers if they can't offer even 10% of that. Future upgrades? What upgrades, VDSL+ is at it's peak and especially at your location. The next step for your connection would be FTTH, which requires new equipment anyways.

I must admit that I am amazed at how ISPs market their products, especially in the UK. WOW YOU GET FIBER BROADBAND*

*jks, you get adsl just the fiber is closer lel.

hmmm...I'm less than 50 meters away from the cabinet where the fiber ends and the copper connects to my house (alright, technically 75~m once you factored in the height as well as I'm living on the 4th floor). But come on, all of their old routers that I known HAD gigabit ports, the router/modem it replaced had gigabit ports (the one they were offering before had fucking gigabit ports)...I'm only ranting because they replaced a superior router with a shitty one (without AC, I was still able to get 45mbps~ so it was all guld for the lappys and phones and whatever) but now I'm stuck on shitty 100mbps with my storage server until I get a second gigabit switch :/.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

hmmm...I'm less than 50 meters away from the cabinet where the fiber ends and the copper connects to my house (alright, technically 75~m once you factored in the height as well as I'm living on the 4th floor). But come on, all of their old routers that I known HAD gigabit ports, the router/modem it replaced had gigabit ports (the one they were offering before had fucking gigabit ports)...I'm only ranting because they replaced a superior router with a shitty one (without AC, I was still able to get 45mbps~ so it was all guld for the lappys and phones and whatever) but now I'm stuck on shitty 100mbps with my storage server until I get a second gigabit switch :/.

It also depends on the supplier, I guarantee you they didn't pay more than $30 for that router. As for the gigabit ports on the previous models. There is also another point of view, 80-90% of their users know how to connect to WiFi and maybe connect a Ethernet cable to the modem. So in their judgement it's much better to offer good WiFi than Ethernet. Try to remember 2012, there were not many WiFi devices and AC didn't really exist.

Generally you want to avoid any kind of connections to the router except the internet link if you have a switch. Now you know why.

Do a brainstorm session, and try to figure out if you can use the 8 port switch without having to buy another one. It may be cheaper to run another Ethernet cable than buying another switch.

1 minute ago, dzonidev said:

It also depends on the supplier, I guarantee you they didn't pay more than $30 for that router. As for the gigabit ports on the previous models. There is also another point of view, 80-90% of their users know how to connect to WiFi and maybe connect a Ethernet cable to the modem. So in their judgement it's much better to offer good WiFi than Ethernet.

Generally you want to avoid any kind of connections to the router except the internet link if you have a switch. Now you know why.

Do a brainstorm session, and try to figure out if you can use the 8 port switch without having to buy another one. It may be cheaper to run another Ethernet cable than buying another switch.

but...but...that's another 25 meter cable which doesn't satisfy me :/ (the media PC only has a 120GB ssd and I've always relied on the storage server for transferring games over)

Diagrams of my current setup (no holes can be drilled through the wall and I require ethernet as the walls in my house has aluminum and other shit for insulation in it so it's enough to cut my speeds from 70 down to 20 down using the same AC wifi NIC (and on 2.4Ghz bands). Also my miner and secondary PC doesn't have wifi NICs so...yah):

Spoiler

tUiGATV.png

Complicated I know but I don't have a real choice...

I know $5 is a lot once you take consideration onto how many router's they give out but still :( 

14 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

but...but...that's another 25 meter cable which doesn't satisfy me :/ (the media PC only has a 120GB ssd and I've always relied on the storage server for transferring games over)

Diagrams of my current setup (no holes can be drilled through the wall and I require ethernet as the walls in my house has aluminum and other shit for insulation in it so it's enough to cut my speeds from 70 down to 20 down using the same AC wifi NIC (and on 2.4Ghz bands). Also my miner and secondary PC doesn't have wifi NICs so...yah):

Hide contents

tUiGATV.png

Complicated I know but I don't have a real choice...

I know $5 is a lot once you take consideration onto how many router's they give out but still :( 

Yeah.. I'm with you on the port situation. I had a similar issue, my main PC from 2012 has a 10/100 port. Don't know why...

You've got 2 choices, either move the storage server to your room for the time being or experience the blessings of a 10/100 port.

5 minutes ago, dzonidev said:

move the storage server to your room for the time being or experience the blessings of a 10/100 port.

But that still doesn't solve my Media PC only being able to transfer games at 11MB/s instead of the usual 90-110MB/s :/ 

You may just have to suck it up and run another cable and add a 5 port switch into the mix to get gigabit speeds. The ISP probably figured that people who only get 100Mb or less only need 10/100 ports and have a different router for those on faster speeds.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You may just have to suck it up and run another cable and add a 5 port switch into the mix to get gigabit speeds. The ISP probably figured that people who only get 100Mb or less only need 10/100 ports and have a different router for those on faster speeds.

Well 60-76Mbps depending on how throttled you are (not distance) is the max speed with Talktalk...they even ADDED A USB 3 PORT for you to be able to plug in a USB 3 storage device and for it to become a NAS easily, which the AC wifi would be able to take advantage of the max speed of the USB 3 storage device (was getting 60-80MB/s of my thumb drive attached to my router transferring to my lappy) while ethernet is still stuck at 11MB/s...it's so stupid...

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well 60-76Mbps depending on how throttled you are (not distance) is the max speed with Talktalk...they even ADDED A USB 3 PORT for you to be able to plug in a USB 3 storage device and for it to become a NAS easily, which the AC wifi would be able to take advantage of the max speed of the USB 3 storage device (was getting 60-80MB/s of my thumb drive attached to my router transferring to my lappy) while ethernet is still stuck at 11MB/s...it's so stupid...

So it has AC Wireless but only 100Mb ports? That is really stupid then. Sounds like they didn't want to spring for the extra dollar on PCB components, lol.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

So it has AC Wireless but only 100Mb ports? That is really stupid then. Sounds like they didn't want to spring for the extra dollar on PCB components, lol.

they revised this model and they took out the gigabit ports...FFS, before when this router/modem came out, it had gigabit ports and they took it out after a revision :/ 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

they revised this model and they took out the gigabit ports...FFS, before when this router/modem came out, it had gigabit ports and they took it out after a revision :/ 

iWKad22.jpg

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: