From working at Microsoft to working in the Video Games Industry?

Hi everyone. I'm working for Microsoft in the marketing department, directly with the regional CMO (Chief Marketing Officer).

It has been a pretty great experience so far but would love to join a more consumer/entertainment focused vertical, such as the video games industry!

What I wanted to discuss was, how do you think game developement companies would react to someone from Marketing in Microsoft? Where I live there are very few video games companies, nothing "famous".

Have any of you heard where the marketing staff from very succesful video game companies come from? (Blizzard/Valve/EA etc.)

Thanks a ton!

It will probably look nice on your resume, but the companies will probably want some examples of what you have done too. Generally smaller game developers either want to do the marketing themselves or outsource it when they need the marketing. What I mean is that any small game company does not release 12 games per year. They maybe release 1 or 2 at the very most, thus they only need marketing people these 1 or 2 times per year.

You have to present yourself as someone who can help in the company all year long or show that you have some other attributes in the team possibly.

Hope some of this info helped you :) Awesome to hear you want to get into the gaming industry!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 6/10/2016 at 9:31 AM, Minibois said:

It will probably look nice on your resume, but the companies will probably want some examples of what you have done too. Generally smaller game developers either want to do the marketing themselves or outsource it when they need the marketing. What I mean is that any small game company does not release 12 games per year. They maybe release 1 or 2 at the very most, thus they only need marketing people these 1 or 2 times per year.

You have to present yourself as someone who can help in the company all year long or show that you have some other attributes in the team possibly.

Hope some of this info helped you :) Awesome to hear you want to get into the gaming industry!

I would be applying for marketing positions/producer/project manager for mayor VG companies.

I don't love the IT industry but hey, it is Microsoft after all. And it is in the tech industry along with VGs.

I am just wondering where the marketing staff of Blizzard/Riot/Naughty Dog etc etc come from, when it is not from the video games industry itself.

Also, along with Microsoft and some other internships in asvertising and PR firms, I am developing an app (along with my own company) and my BA has 2 minors in Business Admin!

7 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

I would be applying for marketing positions/producer/project manager for mayor VG companies.

I don't love the IT industry but hey, it is Microsoft after all. And it is in the tech industry along with VGs.

I am just wondering where the marketing staff of Blizzard/Riot/Naughty Dog etc etc come from, when it is not from the video games industry itself.

They come from a marketing school I guess :P That's as far as my guess for that goes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 6/10/2016 at 4:56 PM, OptimisticRealist said:

Go to their websites and look up some of the LinkedIns of the marketing guys, it will give you the info you need and who knows you may just figure out one of them is in your network somehow and use it as an in.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, Centurius said:

Go to their websites and look up some of the LinkedIns of the marketing guys, it will give you the info you need and who knows you may just figure out one of them is in your network somehow and use it as an in.

Thanks!

Maybe see if there's someway of connecting with the Xbox/Microsoft Studios divisions?

A lot of people seem to disagree with them and the MS store. I frankly like the layout of the MS Store but don't like how as of last I checked it is limited but that was for a limited time.

The biggest thing is that downloading the games on the MS store requires you to update Windows EVEN if you are on a version of Windows 10. People are like fap fap STEAM LORD GABEN fap fap but I honestly hate Steam and MS makes more money putting it on their store.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Mircosoft? they're ok, I guess... I'm satisfied with windows and pc gaming, but I don't really like the Xbone at all. Maybe it's just because #pcmaterrace, maybe it's because I hate the naming scheme so far lol (xbox 360 - xbox 1???). Maybe it's because I also prefer PS4 for a console. I don't really know lol. In my books though, PC>PS4>Wii>Xbone

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

i feel like MS is "trying to do the right thing"

now, questions offcourse are "why are they trying?" and "are they actually doing the right thing?"

at least they seem to somewhat care, which is at least more than "some other companies" (which i'm gonna leave WAY open for interpretation.)

15 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

- SNIP -

My biggest issue with the MS Store for gamers is that games are often large downloads and installs. Therefore, we should be able to choose where they install, a separate hard drive for instance, instead of our OS drive.

i'm more so neutral towards Microsoft, which is a better opinion then every other company alive except maybe AMD

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Microsoft should scrap the Xbox and just make a dedicated gaming PC. Unify Xbox and PC development. After all an Xbone is just a PC and is basically running W10. It seems like everything they do on the PC side is not to step on Xbox's toes; which only hinders support among the PC gaming community. I personally don't feel one way or another about M$ in relation to gaming; but their unnecessary data collection, sketchy W10 upgrade methods and other similar activities make me wish Linux had better gaming support. Because fuck you guys for data mining.