How long do you typically hold onto your GPU?

hex4

Well for me this is the first time i have gone so long with 1 GPU, my 580 was highly overkill back when it released, even fighting off 1440P on maxed settings n 98% of games back then, it's now a decent contender for GTX 900 series mid range cards when overclocked, so i am happy i stayed with it, so almost 6 years.

RX 480 for me.

what about you?

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

Pretty much as long as it can still play modern games.  I know I've got a 980m which is half decent, I may consider doing a build with Vega when it comes out.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I use a card until it can't do what I want it to do. I usually keep my cards even after they become obsolete, just as back ups. I still have a Gigabyte 6850 being used in another build.

However, my R9 290 is being replaced with a GTX 1070 due to it dying on me.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

1 minute ago, Brandonsr said:

I use a card until it can't do what I want it to do. I usually keep my cards even after they are obsolete as back ups. I still have a Gigabyte 6850 being used in another build.

My R9 290 is being replaced with a GTX 1070 due to it dying on me.

Still got a 512MB 9800GTX and 512MB Radeon 4870 :)

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

Until next gen for me :P My first actual self-bought GPU is a GTX 660, but at that time I know barely anything about hardware and someone else choose that GPU for me. next one I got was a reference 780, which last quite well until the 9xx series come out, at which point I also upgrade the whole PC from an i5 first gen or so to the i7 4770k, so I took the chance and also get a MSI 970 to fit the color scheme and everything. And I'm about to sold my 970 to get a 1070 soon so... pretty much every gen.

Ofc I dont need to upgrade every gen, but I like it and I cant help doing that xD Plus I usually buy/sell stuff second hand (my 970 is secondhand which I bought around December of 2014) so upgrading dont cost all that much more to me.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

The only reason I'm upgrading from GTX 275 to GTX 1070 is that I got a new monitor and it only has HDMI and Display Port. Other than that, I think I would have lived fine with the GTX 275 for another year or so. But as I learned, upgrading every 3 years if you can is better than holding on to old components like I did. Unless there comes a time which you stopped gaming like you used to. 

I stopped gaming in 2012 and I'm back now, so probably that is also a factor why I'm upgrading. So I guess 3 years is a good amount for holding on to components because sometimes, not every new generation is a worthy upgrade from the previous one. But in my case :D I think I'd be getting at least 700% performance increase in GPU power.

My way of life: "Think differently, act modestly."

Internet dweller love to write and read about almost everything.

I like to be part of productive and positive communities. 

How people are killing their graphic cards are beyond me.. something tells me they are doing it wrong :P
But I usually swap graphic cards around ever second generation.

Main rig:
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme3 | CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz with Noctua NH-D14 | RAM: HyperX Fury DD4 2133MHz 16GB (4x4GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition | PSU: Corsair AX760i | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (White) | Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Toshiba 3TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Displays: BenQ XL2410T (120Hz) + 1xBenQ G2420HD (60Hz) | Keyboard: CM Storm Rapid I (Brown switches) | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

To be honest I'm that guy that spends way to much money every time a new generation of GPU' s is released, just because I want the best available...

It's better to buy a mid-high level card and use it the full 3-4 years rather than buy a low-mid level and regret it and having to buy the next incremental rebrand just a year later.

Yea, pretty much I upgrade when the card dies, or... when the games I like run below 45 fps. Lucky enough for me the 970 is still a great card and 1080p gaming is still great on it.

Would I perhaps like a 1070... of course.... but... I don't really think it's 100% necessary right now.

The RX 480 looks interesting because it should be "above" the 970 in every game but for cheaper. I could technically sell this and get that at no loss in money. Not sure if I will until I see real gaming benchmarks.

I haven't had a GPU die on me before, but I upgrade when there's value in doing so. I'm running an R9 280x OC right now, and before the 1070 / 1080 / 480, I haven't seen value in upgrading, due to the meager performance improvements that have been presented by Nvidia and AMD over the previous many years. I'm still debating holding out for Vega.

Nvidia and AMD would have gotten more money from me if they'd been making meaningful performance increases to their GPU hardware throughout the last 5 years, instead of rehashing the same tech and performance. No one should think the slow pace of GPU performance over the recent years was natural - Nvidia and AMD turn their performance increases up and down like a tap to coincide with market influences, like the PS3 and 360 consoles bring game graphics progression to a near halt for 5 years, and like Nvidia making large strides once VR, 2k / 4k / 144 Mhz frequency monitors come out. Sure, they spend time and money developing new tech, but any time they want to make a leap in graphics performance, they already know how to go about accomplishing it, and it'll take them only as long as they feel will best allow them to capitalize on it.

Nvidia and AMD should be pushing graphics development in games, IMO, by funding the development and inclusion of envelope-pushing technologies, as an additional upper layer to a game's graphics. That in turn would push graphics card sales, while not alienating the more mainstream market audience, and while not costing the developer time and money for low-return endeavors. The GPU manufacturers would see the benefits in their own sales, and the developer would be paid for their work by the GPU manufacturers.

This would be the opposite approach to capitalizing on GPU hardware as the one which Nvidia and AMD have been engaging in... which has been to slow down their performance gains across hardware generations to keep a release-pace that doesn't get ahead of games' slow-progressing graphics standards, which, themselves, have been slowed in order to keep pace with consoles - although, game graphics progression seem to me to be less restrained by the Xb1 and PS4 consoles than they were by the PS3 / 360 consoles.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

depending on the rig i keep mine for 4-5 years, as long as it can take the high settings i want or mediocre settings

but another important thing to think about is the display, if you change from 1920x1080 TN 60hz to 3440x1440 IPS 60hz i had to go for a stronger gpu

or swapping the display for a higher hz

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

approx 4 years, never had a card die how do you even manage that?, next upgrade around Christmas when I'm sure how Polaris and Pascal are doing from 660 Ti's in SLI!

Until the incessant swearing at the screen starts. Or approximately ~4 years depending on the tier. Remember children, buying super cheap (unless you really really have no other option) means you'll have to upgrade sooner. So ~$500 card for 5 years f.ex may sound like a huge wad of cash for a component, but divide it up over the course of 5 or 6 years and it basically costs you <$100 per year. Whereas a $200 card that's obsolete within a couple of years (depending on what you do with it) may cost you about the same, if not more over the course of time.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

15 minutes ago, LordZanshin said:

approx 4 years, never had a card die how do you even manage that?, next upgrade around Christmas when I'm sure how Polaris and Pascal are doing from 660 Ti's in SLI!

After a long time I'm pretty sure card will just die on its own or due to dust or many other reason. I have 1 die on my because the heatsink of the RAM somehow fall off the card, so the RAM burned. I have to bring it to the shop and get a new one.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

20 minutes ago, Megazero said:

After a long time I'm pretty sure card will just die on its own or due to dust or many other reason. I have 1 die on my because the heatsink of the RAM somehow fall off the card, so the RAM burned. I have to bring it to the shop and get a new one.

Perhaps I'm just lucky;) I must admit I always overclock them, but never too much.

I usually get a new one every second generation. So like going from a 980ti to like a 1180ti type of thing. My old ones i give to my brother or pass them on to friends.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

for as long as it takes me to install it and then I stop holding onto it

Until I can't get FPS above 60 FPS at max settings... xD

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold