What is the best Aftermarket 1080?

Krazykaram

Which is the best?

im kinda leaning towards the EVGA FTW

whats your opinion?

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor | Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD 82.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Mobo: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory | GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card | Storage: 1x Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + 2x Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200P 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB ATX Full Tower Case | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch-2 | Mouse: Logitech G903

Best in what category?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

cooling and overall performance

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor | Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD 82.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Mobo: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory | GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card | Storage: 1x Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + 2x Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200P 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB ATX Full Tower Case | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch-2 | Mouse: Logitech G903

As of now its this one : 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just take a 1080, rip the cooler off and replace it with a waterblock and overclock it yourself

all of the top cards are pretty close to each other. any answer you get could be as much fanboying as actual fact. Then there's the silicon lottery. even IF one of them was slightly better (lets say EVGA classified) than another (lets say Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming) an unlucky "Classified" card would still lose to an "Xtreme Gaming" card.

Disclaimer: No, i'm not saying the Classified is better than Xtreme Gaming. I'm not saying its not. I'm just using those 2 names as an example.

If you're not going to overclock, you can largely just pick whichever looks the best and is the most affordable. Again, they will all be pretty close to each other, and silicon lottery will affect the chips ability to self boost as much as any stat will. Beyond that look for whichever one sports the highest boost clock.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cards to look for (in no particular order) are:

EVGA Classified (Or kingpin if they end up doing a 1080 kingpin)
Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming
Galax Hall of Fame (usually a bit more expensive depending on where you live)

Asus  Strix/ROG Matrix

Zotac AMP! Extreme
MSI Lighning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those listed above are the top tier of each of those companies (as far as I'm aware). If you're interested in the max possible overclocking, those are typically the cards you're after (although you will pay a premium for most of them). If you just want the best possible out of the box gaming experience, and don't want to spend quite as much, then look at their cards not listed above (such as Gigabyte G1 Gaming or EVGA FTW) and their rated boost clocks and go from there.

But to answer your question, yes, EVGA FTW is a very decent card. much better than reference/founders edition

44 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

all of the top cards are pretty close to each other. any answer you get could be as much fanboying as actual fact. Then there's the silicon lottery. even IF one of them was slightly better (lets say EVGA classified) than another (lets say Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming) an unlucky "Classified" card would still lose to an "Xtreme Gaming" card.

There may not be an objective best, but there are certainly ones to avoid.

The Gigabyte Gaming G1, for example. It irks me the way Gigabyte are taking what was their premium, top version (the G1 Gaming) and making this the low tier this time around. It's unnecessarily confusing and will only make people think they are buying something that they aren't. Aside from this, its single 8-pin connector will give it a definite disadvantage compared to similarly priced cards that have both a 6 and 8 pin connector, regardless of the silicon lottery.

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

Aside from this, its single 8-pin connector will give it a definite disadvantage compared to similarly priced cards that have both a 6 and 8 pin connector, regardless of the silicon lottery.

You don't know what you're talking about. you needn't watch the entire thing, but watch the tail end of it. last 30% or so. those power pins make ALOT less difference than people think (unless you're into crazy overclocks and hacked bios etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

20 hours ago, Zyndo said:

You don't know what you're talking about. you needn't watch the entire thing, but watch the tail end of it. last 30% or so. those power pins make ALOT less difference than people think (unless you're into crazy overclocks and hacked bios etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

He's not a valid source, he seriously doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time.

Edit: I will say though in this case his conclusion is the same as mine. All this video proved is that he lost the silicon lottery pretty hard with that MSI card -- especially compared with his Founders Edition. It's not unheard of for one GPU to overclock better than another one and use less power doing it. It also looks like GPUboost 3.0 is artificially limiting the voltage you can use at the moment. I'm sure custom firmwares will be released to get around that at some point.

I'm not saying hes the best. But he does a fairly good job of the scientific formula. making solid irrefutable experiments to back up any claims he makes, regardless of how controversial those claims are. I'm just saying that you claimed:

22 hours ago, othertomperson said:

Aside from this, its single 8-pin connector will give it a definite disadvantage compared to similarly priced cards that have both a 6 and 8 pin connector, regardless of the silicon lottery.

And now you're saying silicon lottery makes a difference..... Not trying to be picky here, but when it comes to GPU's, tons of people just look at the power pins to judge how good it will be based upon how much power you can give it; ESPECIALLY with all the flaming about the founder's 1080 having only the one power pin. It just doesn't make that much difference. (again, unless you're into really crazy overclocks). Feeding a card extra voltage does not equal a directly proportional MHz result. the higher your frequency gets, the exponentially more difficult it becomes for you to keep up in voltage.

The G1 doesn't suddenly become a bad card because there's only an 8-pin on it. Its also not Gigabyte's bottom level card. they have non G1 variations of all sorts of cards. Sure the "top of the line" has been replaced with their "Xtreme Gaming" series, but its not some sort of scam or trick lol. G1's are still going to be very formidable cards.

All I'm trying to say is don't buy into all the rage of "It doesn't have enough power pins". that's right up there with the ignorance of "will this cpu bottleneck my gpu?" 9 times out of 10 its something that doesn't make a lick of difference

Any 1070/1080 with a single 8pin or less is a piece of shit.

It's not a fucking magical coincidence that every 900 series card with more pins always have higher overclocking potential and destroy leaderboards on things like 3DMark.

What is this retardation lately with people thinking the extra power connectors are just for show?

14 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Any 1070/1080 with a single 8pin or less is a piece of shit.

It's not a fucking magical coincidence that every 900 series card with more pins always have higher overclocking potential and destroy leaderboards on things like 3DMark.

What is this retardation lately with people thinking the extra power connectors are just for show?

I don't think it's that people don't believe that more power = more likelyhood of better performance, but it is far more dependent on the silicon lottery than anything else.  JayztwoCents recently made a video where he overclocked the MSI Gaming X 1080, (which has 8+6 power connectors) but couldn't push it as far as his founder's edition.    

Honestly, don't base your purchase on which one has more power ports.  They will only matter for heavy overclocking, which most don't do.  The silicon lottery has a far bigger impact on the overclocking headroom of your chip.

That said, cards like the Lightning, Classified, and Hall of Fame are all binned higher, so they are the ones you want if you really plan on overclocking heavily.

System:  i7-6700k @ 4.5 GHz Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 ITX 

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU Seagate 2TB HDD, 1TB SSHD | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Boot DriveSilverstone ML08B-H |

5 minutes ago, Autoimmunity said:

That said, cards like the Lightning, Classified, and Hall of Fame are all binned higher, so they are the ones you want if you really plan on overclocking heavily.

Yes, and I bet my life every one of those will have more than a single 8-pin as well so they can actually take advantage of being binned higher.

38 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Yes, and I bet my life every one of those will have more than a single 8-pin as well so they can actually take advantage of being binned higher.

Oh absolutely.  Those cards are made with overclocking in mind though.  The lower-end models with only one 8-pin are not, but neither are the lower-end models with more than one power connector.  

All I'm saying is that the silicon lottery will play a much bigger role than the number of pins on a non-binned card.

System:  i7-6700k @ 4.5 GHz Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 ITX 

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU Seagate 2TB HDD, 1TB SSHD | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Boot DriveSilverstone ML08B-H |

1 hour ago, Autoimmunity said:

I don't think it's that people don't believe that more power = more likelyhood of better performance, but it is far more dependent on the silicon lottery than anything else.  JayztwoCents recently made a video where he overclocked the MSI Gaming X 1080, (which has 8+6 power connectors) but couldn't push it as far as his founder's edition.    

Honestly, don't base your purchase on which one has more power ports.  They will only matter for heavy overclocking, which most don't do.  The silicon lottery has a far bigger impact on the overclocking headroom of your chip.

It not just about being single 8 pin or more. The power delivery on reference design is absolute dog shit. 

Aftermarket cards also offer a better power delivery design and higher quality components. 

Even if someone offered a reference card that can clock higher, i wouldn't want a loud, thermal throttling, power throttling peice of shit.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

45 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

It not just about being single 8 pin or more. The power delivery on reference design is absolute dog shit. 

Aftermarket cards also offer a better power delivery design and higher quality components. 

Even if someone offered a reference card that can clock higher, i wouldn't want a loud, thermal throttling, power throttling peice of shit.

Your reading comprehension needs some practice.  The argument was never that Reference cards are just as good as aftermarket ones.  On the contrary, aftermarket cards are 10x better at cooling and noise.

The post was about the silicon lottery, and how a reference card may be able to clock higher than a card with extra power connectors, as demonstrated in JayzTwoCents' video.  This is why when choosing between AFTERMARKET cards, you should not make your decision based on how many power connectors the card has.  IE, don't buy the red MSI card if it doesn't fit with your build just to get extra power delivery, because it most likely won't make a huge difference.  Only the top-end cards that are binned better for overclocking absolutely need extra power delivery.

2 hours ago, Autoimmunity said:

Your reading comprehension needs some practice.  The argument was never that Reference cards are just as good as aftermarket ones.  On the contrary, aftermarket cards are 10x better at cooling and noise.

The post was about the silicon lottery, and how a reference card may be able to clock higher than a card with extra power connectors, as demonstrated in JayzTwoCents' video.  This is why when choosing between AFTERMARKET cards, you should not make your decision based on how many power connectors the card has.  IE, don't buy the red MSI card if it doesn't fit with your build just to get extra power delivery, because it most likely won't make a huge difference.  Only the top-end cards that are binned better for overclocking absolutely need extra power delivery.

Yes yes, before you start taking everything personally. I'd suggest you re-read your own post. 

Your arguement here is that aftermarket designs(ones with 8+8/6 pin) do not matter unless one is planning to do heavy overclocking. 

I refute that aftermarket cards offer a better power delivery design  with higher quality compenents as compared to the reference. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case