Super budget high end rig

KSores

Bet you he could find a 5820k used and meet that budget fairly easier

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, KSores said:

the problem is that the 6800k isnt a good overclocker at the moment. we will need wait for the price to come down maybe intel will give us better quality chips then too. also you have to wait for the 3rd party gtx 1080's too.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPBmGf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPBmGf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($49.90 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.22 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Antec Green 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: gtx 1080 ($599.00)
Total: $1461.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-08 12:55 EDT-0400

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

as a game dev is he doing 3d modeling/rendering? cos I don't see why a dev needs a beast like this otherwise.

Is there something specific he needs the 6 core/12 thread muscle in x99?

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Hey, thanks ksores for posting :) So I am "the friend", so I would like to quickly add some thing :)

So I am currently also working on content production, mainly in premiere pro and after effects. So I will use it for rendering, for the rest unreal engine (which is what I am using) is very heavy, so I have heard 32GB ram or 64GB would be good to have from other developers/unreal users, currently maxing out my pagefile(which is over 10GB), ram(8GB) and everything on this system, which makes for atleast 18GB of memory usage and that is due to it maxing out, so 32GB is more than 18GB but 16 is under. For the rest the 1080 is mainly for gaming as that will also be a purpose, although perhaps not the main purpose. So summed up the main uses would be Game Developing in unreal, Content Creation (quite a lot of that about unreal, so recording with unreal etc will lagg even more than just running it) and gaming. For the rest I thought (not sure tho, and this was not the main reason) cores help a lot when compiling. I am also working with some 3d programs, but as i am mainly a coder/general unreal user it should hopefully not be my main concirn, however in content creation I will sometimes be using objects in a 3d space!

2 hours ago, ImLolly said:

Hey, thanks ksores for posting :) So I am "the friend", so I would like to quickly add some thing :)

So I am currently also working on content production, mainly in premiere pro and after effects. So I will use it for rendering, for the rest unreal engine (which is what I am using) is very heavy, so I have heard 32GB ram or 64GB would be good to have from other developers/unreal users, currently maxing out my pagefile(which is over 10GB), ram(8GB) and everything on this system, which makes for atleast 18GB of memory usage and that is due to it maxing out, so 32GB is more than 18GB but 16 is under. For the rest the 1080 is mainly for gaming as that will also be a purpose, although perhaps not the main purpose. So summed up the main uses would be Game Developing in unreal, Content Creation (quite a lot of that about unreal, so recording with unreal etc will lagg even more than just running it) and gaming. For the rest I thought (not sure tho, and this was not the main reason) cores help a lot when compiling. I am also working with some 3d programs, but as i am mainly a coder/general unreal user it should hopefully not be my main concirn, however in content creation I will sometimes be using objects in a 3d space!

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zzPsYr

I'd recommend something like this, 32gb should be fine for unreal development and recording. Things like after affects definitely benefits from 32gb. I'd also recommend atleast two monitors, ips preferably for better color production if you're going to be working with graphics. 

With compiling the thing that it benefits from the most is fast storage, an ssd would definitely be the best option or even a m.2 drive if you're willing to pay for one. A

Anyways another thing I'd highly recommend is the two disk drives i've included and putting them into a RAID 1 so that you can have a secure backup and storage for all of your assets you use. 

A gtx 1080 might not totally fit into the budget, but if you really want one then you're probably going to need to shell out some extra cash.

4 cores should be fine, you can even overclock the i5 pretty well using the h60.

I dunno if this will help at all but this is my basic game development PC and I'm constantly working in photoshop, after affects, and the unity engine. Anyways, good luck.

6 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zzPsYr

I'd recommend something like this, 32gb should be fine for unreal development and recording. Things like after affects definitely benefits from 32gb. I'd also recommend atleast two monitors, ips preferably for better color production if you're going to be working with graphics. 

With compiling the thing that it benefits from the most is fast storage, an ssd would definitely be the best option or even a m.2 drive if you're willing to pay for one. A

Anyways another thing I'd highly recommend is the two disk drives i've included and putting them into a RAID 1 so that you can have a secure backup and storage for all of your assets you use. 

A gtx 1080 might not totally fit into the budget, but if you really want one then you're probably going to need to shell out some extra cash.

4 cores should be fine, you can even overclock the i5 pretty well using the h60.

I dunno if this will help at all but this is my basic game development PC and I'm constantly working in photoshop, after affects, and the unity engine. Anyways, good luck.

Thanks for all the info

Thanks sooo much for your reply @RangerLunis :) I currently have 1 ultrawide monitor (ips) as I could only get 1 monitor, I am looking into replacing it with dual monitor. For asset storage, I think I will mostly use my server to backup a spare copy, as then its outside of my pc for if desaster does strike. So I have descovered that I can just as well rip out my current SSD, getting me an SSD till I have more money. So I have come up with the following:

still 6800k based: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6w299W and http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPBmGf (by chriscross) or the build RangerLunis suggested(minus the monitors). Which of the 3 would be the best to choose? (I cant make up my mind) Thanks all for your help :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2016 at 1:50 AM, ImLolly said:

Thanks sooo much for your reply @RangerLunis :) I currently have 1 ultrawide monitor (ips) as I could only get 1 monitor, I am looking into replacing it with dual monitor. For asset storage, I think I will mostly use my server to backup a spare copy, as then its outside of my pc for if desaster does strike. So I have descovered that I can just as well rip out my current SSD, getting me an SSD till I have more money. So I have come up with the following:

still 6800k based: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6w299W and http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPBmGf (by chriscross) or the build RangerLunis suggested(minus the monitors). Which of the 3 would be the best to choose? (I cant make up my mind) Thanks all for your help :)

Sorry for the late reply, but your welcome for everything :D I might go instead for the I7-5820k as it also features 6-cores, and you can always overclock it if you desire higher clock speeds. Good luck!