I effed up... and I'm on my phone

BurstSMG
Go to solution Solved by Mr.Meerkat,
5 minutes ago, ZillaGames said:

It's been literally an hour and the PC is fine now. It turned itself on after I plugged it in (just my motherboard, always does that) about half an hour ago and I didn't realize till the login screen that it was even turned on. I guess it didn't touch any of the components as it really just got into the IO ports in the front of the case. I'm not going to plug anything into it for about two days anyways, so it seems like I'm back up and running. BTW I'm typing this on my PC right now :)

Fair enough :P but you never know...better to be safe than having to fork out monies for new parts :D 

I have a nice PC that has served me well for 4 years. I dare not turn it on today, however, since I, as the idiot I am, spilt half a cup of water onto the front IO, my external 1TB hard drive (which is fine), and my 200mm top fan. I currently have it tilted so any water that was on my IO ports either dry or slowly drip out so I can forget my mistakes and never put my water that close to my PC ever again. My question specifically is how long I should wait for my PC to dry to boot and if it's damaged at all. Heres the story. I quickly hard shutdown the PC and turned off the PSU, unplugging it to discharge all the power. I tilted it so that water went on the carpet instead of the PC and did what I said earlier, now Im here now eating lunch. 

GTX 1070 - Ryzen 5 3600x - Corsair H100i V2 - 32GB DDR4 3200

Spoiler

Check out my Minecraft channel here!

2 minutes ago, ZillaGames said:

I have a nice PC that has served me well for 4 years. I dare not turn it on today, however, since I, as the idiot I am, spilt half a cup of water onto the front IO, my external 1TB hard drive (which is fine), and my 200mm top fan. I currently have it tilted so any water that was on my IO ports either dry or slowly drip out so I can forget my mistakes and never put my water that close to my PC ever again. My question specifically is how long I should wait for my PC to dry to boot and if it's damaged at all. Heres the story. I quickly hard shutdown the PC and turned off the PSU, unplugging it to discharge all the power. I tilted it so that water went on the carpet instead of the PC and did what I said earlier, now Im here now eating lunch. 

Take everything out and dry it off, if you notice corrosion or water stains, using some 99% isopropyl alcohol to displace that water that may still be trapped or clean if off any bad spots you see. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Take everything out and dry it off, if you notice corrosion or water stains, using some 99% isopropyl alcohol to displace that water that may still be trapped or clean if off any bad spots you see. 

Alright I'll report back in about 8 hours

Spoiler

to add on top of W-L, leave everything for at least 24 hours in a well ventilated area so the moisture can also dry off :) (maybe even longer if the ventilation isn't great.)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

to add on top of W-L, leave everything for at least 24 hours in a well ventilated area so the moisture can also dry off :) (maybe even longer if the ventilation isn't great.)

It's been literally an hour and the PC is fine now. It turned itself on after I plugged it in (just my motherboard, always does that) about half an hour ago and I didn't realize till the login screen that it was even turned on. I guess it didn't touch any of the components as it really just got into the IO ports in the front of the case. I'm not going to plug anything into it for about two days anyways, so it seems like I'm back up and running. BTW I'm typing this on my PC right now :)

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ZillaGames said:

Fair enough :P but you never know...better to be safe than having to fork out monies for new parts :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I've had my hand right next to the power supply's switch for a few minutes already. I think it's time to relax and play some CSGO.

Spoiler