970s or 1070?

Conzate

Hi guys!

Doing some upgrading in my system right now, currently running a 4670k and a 960. I was thinking about getting a new 1070 once it comes out, but my friend is thinking of doing the same and offered me his 970 STRIX for only £90, so I was thinking if I bought that, I could buy another and just SLI them. Is it worth it over a 1070? For 1080p gaming just now, maybe a higher res later.

It's high noon somewhere in the world.

If you're at 1080p the 970 is fine.

I'd be tempted to go with the 970 if you don't plan to upgrade your monitor soon (within a year or so)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1070. sli isnt really want you want 

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

If you're at 1080p the 970 is fine.

I'd be tempted to go with the 970 if you don't plan to upgrade your monitor soon (within a year or so)

I think the most I'd jump to is 1440p. Or more than one 1080p monitor.

2 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

Why not?

2 minutes ago, SgtRafsta said:

Agree. In addition, the 970SLI will only have 4GB VRAM, which may be too little for future games

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, Conzate said:

Why not?

sli support can be doggy at times an as @RadiatingLight said 4gb might not be enough for future games

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Agree. In addition, the 970SLI will only have 4GB VRAM, which may be too little for future games

1 minute ago, SgtRafsta said:

sli support can be doggy at times an as @RadiatingLight said 4gb might not be enough for future games

Are new games pushing 4gb? I've been finding the Division and Overwatch pretty fine on high and epic settings respectively.

Also, there isn't any "pre-order" or custom 1070s even being advertised yet, I've got this offer for the 970 in like. 2 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Conzate said:

A second 1080p monitor doesn't make a difference if you're just gaming on one.

But 1440p is too much for a single 970. Dual 970's would work, but the VRAM limit is a bit much.

If you DO get the 970, you'd probably want to sell them when you upgrade to the 1440p and also get a 1070 or something.

£90 is a great deal but if you can wait for the aftermarket 1070s, that's probably your best bet for the future.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Are new games pushing 4gb? I've been finding the Division and Overwatch pretty fine on high and epic settings respectively.

Also, there isn't any "pre-order" or custom 1070s even being advertised yet, I've got this offer for the 970 in like. 2 weeks.

games like battlefield 1 and upcoming titles will benifit from more vRam most likely but if you really dont want to wait for the 1070 release you sould just go with a single 970 until other cards get more afordable (or amd releases)

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

A second 1080p monitor doesn't make a difference if you're just gaming on one.

But 1440p is too much for a single 970. Dual 970's would work, but the VRAM limit is a bit much.

If you DO get the 970, you'd probably want to sell them when you upgrade to the 1440p and also get a 1070 or something.

£90 is a great deal but if you can wait for the aftermarket 1070s, that's probably your best bet for the future.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

I would take the 970 just on the price.  Use it to hold you over for the next big card.  For the reasons others have stated, I would skip the SLI.

1 minute ago, SgtRafsta said:

games like battlefield 1 and upcoming titles will benifit from more vRam most likely but if you really dont want to wait for the 1070 release you sould just go with a single 970 until other cards get more afordable (or amd releases)

So the general consensus is 1070 and possibly get the 970 to tide me over. Sounds like a good idea!

On another note. Will my 4670k be cool for the future?

Forget future games, a 970 isn't cutting it to max current games in 1080 all the time.  If max settings are a big thing for you, you will be supremely disappointed with a 970, and the 1070 might be a better solution for you.

If however, you don't mind running high or medium high.. a 970 is just fine.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Single GTX1070.

That card trade blows with a TitenX and GTX980Ti.

Way better then a GTX970.

Allthough a GTX970 for just 90 pounds isnt bad but yeah.

1 minute ago, givegomezthegun said:

Forget future games, a 970 isn't cutting it to max current games in 1080 all the time.  If max settings are a big thing for you, you will be supremely disappointed with a 970, and the 1070 might be a better solution for you.

I just don't want my games choppy and looking like ass, dude

2 minutes ago, Conzate said:

So the general consensus is 1070 and possibly get the 970 to tide me over. Sounds like a good idea!

On another note. Will my 4670k be cool for the future?

cpu is fine

I just don't want my games choppy and looking like ass, dude

Well, obviously.  That's where adjusting quality settings come into play.  If anybody tells you they are running witcher3, fallout4, gta5, and probably quite a few others, with a 970, and with the settings fully maxed at 60fps in 1080, they are lying to you.

But slight tweaks will provide a fluid game experience.  It just depends how willing to sacrifice bits of quality you are.  Some people are not willing at all, and therefore should not get a 970.  If you don't mind turning a setting down here or there, it's not a bad choice, especially for the price you have presented to you.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

1 hour ago, givegomezthegun said:

Well, obviously.  That's where adjusting quality settings come into play.  If anybody tells you they are running witcher3, fallout4, gta5, and probably quite a few others, with a 970, and with the settings fully maxed at 60fps in 1080, they are lying to you.

But slight tweaks will provide a fluid game experience.  It just depends how willing to sacrifice bits of quality you are.  Some people are not willing at all, and therefore should not get a 970.  If you don't mind turning a setting down here or there, it's not a bad choice, especially for the price you have presented to you.

In all honesty I've never experienced max settings 1080p on any game rofl. All my friends are console gamers or have really meh pc's, and my friend with the 970 doesn't play on max anything.

I suppose the best I've seen is 4k tv while I was in murica but it really isn't comparable

I'd take the 970 for that price if you're playing on 1080p. Then later on you can sell it and upgrade to 1440p and a Vega or 1080/1080Ti card.

8 hours ago, givegomezthegun said:

I can run triple A titles on my G1 970 near max settings. Any additional settings on top of that wouldn't be noticeable. I do have a very nice OC on my card though. High or medium settings would be for more than 60 fps which I don't need. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Go for 1070.

gtx 970 has only 3,5GB ram.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

It depends on the task these card are going to be doing. Some games are notoriously bad with SLI or crossfire. SLI still does have alot of drawbacks and there will be games, especially new releases where you will have to unplug your card because SLI optimization is something unheard of and if one single 970 can't run it at the settings you want while still maintaining 60 FPS or more depending on the monitor. Even if you go with SLI, you still would have the memory of 1 card, you won't get 8GB and 4GB for modern games is starting to become a little on the short side. Your computer will draw around the same of power with one 970 than a single 1070. With 2 it will draw more, the more power, the more heat, and it will make an impact on how long your system last, will it make a big difference, no, not at all. But still a difference. 

The 1070, will outperform a 970 easily, looking at benchmarks its twice as fast (give or take 1 - 3%). SLI doesn't double the performance either, I seem to recall a 2-way SLI, you loose 10 or 20% of the theoretical performance. Also a brand spanking new 970 is about $300 up to $350 a 1070 is rumored to cost $380. So if you are to buy a new 970, and the used one for $90 you will total at around $400. So you will pay more for something that not always work, and it still will do the same performance wise, or even worse than the 1070. A 1070 will also save some on your power bill. The numbers are not pulled out of my ass, I did a few google searches, I however cannot guarantee that they are correct, but its should be along those lines if Nvidia gives out the correct information. (Something they don't do always...) To me this question becomes a no brainer. The only reason at this point to go for 2-way SLI 970's is that it would look better than a single 1070. But the performance would be the same or even a little better with the 1070, a single GPU is much more optimized than SLI, the power consumption is better with the 1070. There is no reason other than looks that you would go for the 970's.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

970 SLI > 1070.... It's at or better than a 1080 with the 1080 having he edge on vram requirements and where sli profiles are limited. The 1070 will offer the same benefits where sli is broken. Having said that, I run doom ultra at 200 fps with my 970 sli... Ran black ops III in nvidia surround maxed out at just above 110 fps and overwatch maxed out holds 180 fps. 

Witcher, once I fixed the sli profile that's broken for it, hits 160 fps on a single monitor maxed out or around 50-70 fps when I run it in surround with hair works off. 

Just my two cents. For me id have to sli 1070 so I will wait for the 1080ti next year. 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!