Difference between 4-way SLI and Quad-GPU SLI?

I was looking through Asus' motherboards and I see that you have the option to select 4-way SLI and Quad-GPU SLI...

I though they were the same thing..No?

I'm confused.

SLI what..JPG

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 minutes ago, Hodor said:

quad gpu probably refers to using two dual gpu cards such as 7990 or gtx 690

This is correct

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just to add Make sure you graphics cards are compatible with  2 way or 4 way SLI because some model graphics cards don't SLI or Crossfire.    

I'd presume that a dual-GPU card would support SLI or CF, even if only 2-way so the two on-board GPUs would work.

But, what about when installing said card on a board that doesn't support SLI/CF, like an H110 chipset board?  Would both GPUs work as normal, or would only 1 of the GPUs work?

Also if someone was doing a "multi-users, 1 PC" build, for example using the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS board and 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4s, would it be possible to have 14 simultaneous users on that 1 PC?  (My theory is that all 7 slots would be populated with watercooled 6990s, GTX 690s or Radeon Pro Duos.  Each user would get their own GPU, with 2 users being assigned to a single card.)  *braces for shots fired at me for giving Linus more ideas at getting crazier with those builds...*

Another idea would be for Linus to do a video comparison ... which is better bang for the buck when you need to set up multiple users?  Build one kick-gluteusmaximus PC like that and do 14 users 1 PC, or build 14 PCs whose performance and specs is equivalent to the VMs running on the 1st scenario?  (One example scenario I was thinking of for something like this was at a public library or internet terminal.)