Which do you prefer? 1080? 480?

cabzkingtech

Guy's This is very confusing, I'm shown these two products that are very very best quality in terms of VR.

So for you guys? which do you prefer? from the budget? or the quality?

1080? or 480?

And also the leaked the 480x which has the VRAM is 4GB into 8GB????

***[_CaBzkInG_Tech_Solutions_]***

It depends entirely on your intended workload. Assuming I wanted VR, and if I was going for a budget PC, the 480 would be my choice. If the budget didn't matter, I'd grab a 1080. Nvidia's cards have some technologies that will improve more than VR though, one example being multiple monitor gaming. In VR, the 1080 also has some optimizations that the 480 doesn't.

1080. I used to like AMD but I gave up on theme when problems started to occur on multiple cards. I don't intend to start a war but I personally only choose Nvidia even if it costs more.

Also note that I do think what AMD is doing GPU wise is very cool and I do look forward to seeing benchmarks.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

You really can't compare the two (at least in my opinion). Top-tier card will always have worse price to performance ratios.

One is a mid-tier card, with a base MSRP of $200.

Where as the other is a top-tier card with a base MSRP of $600.

And they only really compared it with the 1080 because that is the newest Nvidia card that they have to compare it against. Would much rather see it compared to GTX 1070, since pricing will be much more similar.

But even then, you'd have a multi-GPU setup compared to a single-GPU setup. And the single GPU will be an overall better experience.

But that's not to say that the RX 480 can't be a good card, I'm sure that it will. It just can't be a top-tier card.

7 minutes ago, cabzkingtech said:

Guy's This is very confusing, I'm shown these two products that are very very best quality in terms of VR.

So for you guys? which do you prefer? from the budget? or the quality?

1080? or 480?

I'd like to point out that we havent seen any non bias performance numbers from the 480. Before this question can be answered we need performance numbers from people other than AMD

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

I prefer 3lb. Bags of Haribos. Best price / performance out there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/kCjG3C/haribo-food-gummibears3lbbag4pack

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

480 certainly has the better chip in terms of price/performance and performance/watt but is fairly weak in comparison. 

Whichever one has the best bang for buck ratio. There aren't many enthusiasts out there that are smart with their money.

well i would prefer to have 100fps rather than 50fps, so I would buy a 1080

the 480 is half as powerful in the AMD-biased benchmark of AOTS, so in regular games it will be even worse

of course you cant expect anything realistic from AMD benchmarks, you have to wait for real reviews before you know how bad the 480 really is

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The companies aren't competing with each other at this point. The 480 is a mainstream card and the 1070/1080 are Nvidia's upper mainstream cards. The 480 is coming in performance wise somewhere in current cards, presumably 390-390X levels based on its specs whereas the 1070 is around the 980 ti and the 1080 is 30% faster than anything else.

At some point Nvidia will release a 1060 and AMD will release a 490 and maybe then we will see a bit of competition kick in at the higher end and in the mainstream cards but for now at least it entire depends on what you are looking for.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well i would prefer to have 100fps rather than 50fps, so I would buy a 1080

the 480 is half as powerful in the AMD-biased benchmark of AOTS, so in regular games it will be even worse

of course you cant expect anything realistic from AMD benchmarks, you have to wait for real reviews before you know how bad the 480 really is

As much as I've been shitting on AMD for using AotS to show off the 480, that's a bit of a pessimistic way to look at the card.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The AMD presentation made a point that the 2x480 setup running AOTS at higher FPS than a 1080 was only running at 51% utilization.

Without knowing exactly what that 2x480 setup can do, there seems to have been the intention from AMD to express that those cards can actually achieve greater performance than they were during that particular demo. Why they wouldn't have been running at full utilization, I don't know... maybe the drivers weren't ready, or maybe AMD only wanted to match (or slightly exceed) the 1080's FPS while making a point of how much more headroom the 2x480 setup still had left over.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

39 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

As much as I've been shitting on AMD for using AotS to show off the 480, that's a bit of a pessimistic way to look at the card.

25 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The AMD presentation made a point that the 2x480 setup running AOTS at higher FPS than a 1080 was only running at 51% utilization.

Without knowing exactly what that 2x480 setup can do, there seems to have been the intention from AMD to express that those cards can actually achieve greater performance than they were during that particular demo. Why they wouldn't have been running at full utilization, I don't know... maybe the drivers weren't ready, or maybe AMD only wanted to match (or slightly exceed) the 1080's FPS while making a point of how much more headroom the 2x480 setup still had left over.

Everyone knows AOTS performs like crap on nvidia

literally every other DX12 game that exists performs well on both AMD and nvidia

Using AOTS to compare nvidia and AMD is like using unigine heaven to show how much better nvidia is than AMD

AOTS is a AMD biased benchmark, and just like Heaven, should not be used to compare the two

games are made to perform well no matter what brand of GPU you use

obviously AOTS is an exception because they dont know how to code a game properly so it can also perform great too on an nvidia card

Let's wait for real benchmarks on realistic games to come out before thinking that the 480 is so great

and by "realistic" i mean a game that is well coded and runs fine no matter what GPU you have (because yes, there are MANY DX12 games that perform well on both)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

literally every other DX12 game that exists performs well on both AMD and nvidia

Using AOTS to compare nvidia and AMD is like using unigine heaven to show how much better nvidia is than AMD

AOTS is a AMD biased benchmark, and just like Heaven, should not be used to compare the two

obviously AOTS is an exception because they dont know how to code a game properly so it can also perform great too on an nvidia card

Let's wait for real benchmarks on realistic games to come out before thinking that the 480 is so great

and by "realistic" i mean a game that is well coded and runs fine no matter what GPU you have (because yes, there are MANY DX12 games that perform well on both)

Well there aren't so many DX12 games acctually.

So I prefer DX11 benchmarks, since most games are still using that :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

No, Nvidia performs poorly in any dx 12 game that users async compute, including hitman, quantum break and total war : warhammer.

Quantum break might be broken, but the fact that most people test that game with only Nvidia cards makes it look more broken than it actually is. The 980 ti is slower than a 390 in that game. 

Nvidia cards not having async shaders =/= oxide is bad at coding. You're blaming the wrong people. Nvidia already tried what you are doing by blaming oxide, and oxide ripped them a new one. You keep saying this game is AMD biased, but oxide had spent more time working with Nvidia on this game than AMD, just so their performance doesn't stuck even worse than it does now. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

• 1 month later...

Up this topics...

***[_CaBzkInG_Tech_Solutions_]***