life span of desktops

Devin92

Hello all,

I just built a rig a year ago. I am wondering how often do you need to upgrade your component? What I mean is how long will it take a desktop to show it is slowing down and reinstall windows wont help?

Want to know how old are all your pcs and how are they performing compare to when they are new?

Thanks. :P

Just now, Devin92 said:

Hello all,

I just built a rig a year ago. I am wondering how often do you need to upgrade your component? What I mean is how long will it take a desktop to show it is slowing down and reinstall windows wont help?

Want to know how old are all your pcs and how are they performing compare to when they are new?

mostly the problem lies with the hard disk...the biggest bottleneck in a desktop (usually). Switching to a SSD and flashing a new copy of windows will do wonders most of the time...

Post your build here and people can check for anything that can possibly need upgrading in the future

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

mostly the problem lies with the hard disk...the biggest bottleneck in a desktop (usually). Switching to a SSD and flashing a new copy of windows will do wonders most of the time...

Post your build here and people can check for anything that can possibly need upgrading in the future

Thanks for the reply,

I have i5-4690, Asrock H97-pro, Sumsung 120GB 840EVO, WD blue 1TB, XFX R9 280 and Cosair RM550x.

Not looking forward to upgrade it soon but just wondering normally how long will a desktop last.

2 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Thanks for the reply,

I have i5-4690, Asrock H97-pro, Sumsung 120GB 840EVO, WD blue 1TB, XFX R9 280 and Cosair RM550x.

Not looking forward to upgrade it soon but just wondering normally how long will a desktop last.

Have you updated the firmware on  that 840 evo? they had a problem but it was fixed with a firmware update thru samsung magician.

Well with ur current setup. i would guess ull get atleast 2 good years more. haswell is a solid platform. just missing stuff like usb type c and such.

Just now, Devin92 said:

Thanks for the reply,

3-4 years...you may start yearning for a new GPU before that though...not a complete new desktop

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

1 minute ago, rafazafar said:

Have you updated the firmware on  that 840 evo? they had a problem but it was fixed with a firmware update thru samsung magician.

No, never upgraded my SSD, but I do experience some issue with this rig recently, and I suspect its the SSD. I will look into this!

Thank you very much!

3 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

No, never upgraded my SSD, but I do experience some issue with this rig recently, and I suspect its the SSD. I will look into this!

Thank you very much!

Sure thing, i was using a 840 evo too. the firmware update and advanced optimization made feel brand new.

2 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

3-4 years...you may start yearning for a new GPU before that though...not a complete new desktop

I see. Of course, we always looking at new GPU with more horse power arent we.

So desktop wont have issue as a laptop that will inevitably be slower and slower after 2-3 years? (This is with my experience with laptop tho. Dont know if this is true for all Laptops)

21 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Hello all,

Depends on what price range components you are buying.

If right now I would buy the best of the best most high end components (that new 10 core i7, 2 GTX 1080's for example), it will last me for 5 years likely. Somewhere close to that.

If I bought mid end (lets say i5 6600K and GTX 1070, which would be mid end in this scenario), it will likely last me 4 years before I would want to upgrade.

If I bought lower end (i3 6100, R9 380 for example), it would last me less time.

Of course this depends on what you will be doing, but that is something you can keep in mind.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

I see. Of course, we always looking at new GPU with more horse power arent we.

So desktop wont have issue as a laptop that will inevitably be slower and slower after 2-3 years? (This is with my experience with laptop tho. Dont know if this is true for all Laptops)

laptops slow down due to HDD as well sadly. swapping the HDD with an SSD and stuffing the original HDD into the CD/DVD drive instead is usually the go to method of making it lighning fast again.
I once upgraded an old compaq to SSD and it booted faster than my brand new nvme drive, just because the bios was so simple and booted up straight away.

2 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

laptops slow down due to HDD as well sadly. swapping the HDD with an SSD and stuffing the original HDD into the CD/DVD drive instead is usually the go to method of making it lighning fast again.
I once upgraded an old compaq to SSD and it booted faster than my brand new nvme drive, just because the bios was so simple and booted up straight away.

HDD slowing down PC, that I know, But what i experienced it this:

I play League of legend on a sony laptop with iGPU on a i5 2nd gen. Originally I can have 60ish fps and now I only get 15 fps (after 3 years), and the fans are spinning like crazy. I change the CPU fans several times and it wont help. What do you think cause this performance drop? Is it that they make league of legend more demanding? And do you think things like this will happen to desktop over time?

8 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

I play League of legend on a sony laptop with iGPU on a i5 2nd gen. Originally I can have 60ish fps and now I only get 15 fps (after 3 years), and the fans are spinning like crazy. I change the CPU fans several times and it wont help. What do you think cause this performance drop? Is it that they make league of legend more demanding? And do you think things like this will happen to desktop over time?

Nah league barely changed performance wise, eventho they upgraded the looks.
I think its time for a disassembly and new thermal paste for both the CPU and GPU(if there is one).
The thermal pastes in Laptops tend to dry up super quick (1.5-2 years).
And while you are at it, might be a good idea to clean up the fans and such.

Desktops will have the same issue, but takes longer. 
The problems you described are not the hardware being left behind, its just not maintained well

Edit: you can use HWinfo64 to check and log the sensors easily. its a simple and light program with ALOT of details. from there you can catch such issues.

7 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Open MSI Afterburner some time while playing and after playing check the temperatures on the CPU and also the clock speed (GHz) on it. I feel like it might just be overheating and throttling.

Have you ever taken off the cooler and applied some new thermal paste?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

Nah league barely changed performance wise, eventho they upgraded the looks.
I think its time for a disassembly and new thermal paste for both the CPU and GPU(if there is one).
The thermal pastes in Laptops tend to dry up super quick (1.5-2 years).
And while you are at it, might be a good idea to clean up the fans and such.

Desktops will have the same issue, but takes longer. 
The problems you described are not the hardware being left behind, its just not maintained well

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Open MSI Afterburner some time while playing and after playing check the temperatures on the CPU and also the clock speed (GHz) on it. I feel like it might just be overheating and throttling.

Have you ever taken off the cooler and applied some new thermal paste?

I opened it up a few times when I am switching cpu fans, and I believe that the heat spreader (copper pipes) is soldered on the CPU sockets and I cant get it off. I will double check this and if I can I will reapply some thermal paste and see what happens. Thanks for the kindly reply!

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

I opened it up a few times when I am switching cpu fans, and I believe that the heat spreader (copper pipes) is soldered on the CPU sockets and I cant get it off. I will double check this and if I can I will reapply some thermal paste and see what happens. Thanks for the kindly reply!

I havent seen a single i5 Laptop that has a soldered heatsink to it. Aside from really unique hardwares.
Might just need a twist to set it loose. prying it off can be hard at times :)

Good luck.

12 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Oooh, it's a laptop.. Sorry, didn't catch that :P

Cooler usually are harder to take off indeed.. Have you ever kinda cleaned out the laptop (fans) though?

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Oooh, it's a laptop.. Sorry, didn't catch that :P

Cooler usually are harder to take off indeed.. Have you ever kinda cleaned out the laptop (fans) though?

Ya I did clean the air outtake grills and I switch to new fans 2 times. The first time helps a bit and 2nd time no luck at all. Its probly the thermal paste is dry out.