Regarding the RX 480 AOTS benchmark at Computex

Fulgrim
2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

It's the other way around, heavy batches mean more drawcalls, more CPU intensive.

I suppose but the point is: the cards do more work. The benchmark is CPU-bottlenecked with the "normal" batches. An extension of my comment regarding how the CPU is doing more work to feed the two cards over a single card.

3 minutes ago, Pardeep01 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but may I know what is AOTS?

Ashes of the singularity.

A game designed to show what async compute (which nvidia doesn't handle well) can do and a game that basically no one plays and isn't consistent for shit between runs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, Pardeep01 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but may I know what is AOTS?

Ashes of the Singularity.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

a game basically no one plays and isn't consistent for shit between runs.

The problem is its the best example of full DX12 support.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

a game basically no one plays and isn't consistent for shit between runs.

Oh. All right then.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

-snip-

How exactly do you know how many people play it? Oh, and they were intending to create a new game anyway. They added Async because it looked fun.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

14 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

How exactly do you know how many people play it? Oh, and they were intending to create a new game anyway. They added Async because it looked fun.

You can make a forum post and ask, or go to the steam forums, or check out  http://steamspy.com/app/228880 .

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

52 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

And believing an Intel representative isn't?

When discussing the competition, no company representative is trustworthy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Interesting maths, might I ask how did you arrive at that?  I assume you meant to say $240 since 700-230-230 =/= 140

The GTX 1080 is not $700, the founders edition is an option that costs $700.

MSi Aero GTX 1080 is $600, there's also a few other options within $10 of $600.

The 8GB RX 480 will be $230

We were comparing the cheapest high end solutions from pascal and polaris.

The two 8GB RX 480's will total $460

The cheapest GTX 1080 will total $600

600 - 460 = 140

(American Pricing)

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

11 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The GTX 1080 is not $700, the founders edition is an option that costs $700.

MSi Aero GTX 1080 is $600, there's also a few other options within $10 of $600.

The 8GB RX 480 will be $230

We were comparing the cheapest high end solutions from pascal and polaris.

The two 8GB RX 480's will total $460

The cheapest GTX 1080 will total $600

600 - 460 = 140

(American Pricing)

the big thing is that the RX 480 might just be the sweet spot for a lot of people if it can perform around a 980s performance. people won't need much more than that unless they plan on 4k which is still in the minority though climbing. 

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

1 minute ago, Cryptonite said:

the big thing is that the RX 480 might just be the sweet spot for a lot of people if it can perform around a 980s performance. people won't need much more than that unless they plan on 4k which is still in the minority though climbing. 

I'm sure it is.  I'm not out to bash the RX 480, I don't see any thing wrong with it.  I honestly prefer a single card after a few lackluster experiences with SLi/Crossfire.  For my situation I think the extra $140 for the GTX 1080 is justifiable, and I also honestly think that the two RX 480 solution will not end up being comparable to the 1080(though I could be wrong).

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

28 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

When discussing the competition, no company representative is trustworthy.

Of course but I'd say even if untrustworthy, they've been more forthcoming in how the results have been achieved and why there can be discrepancies (assuming it's correct obviously). In either case: we're less a month away from a full NDA lift (apparently reviewers get samples June 10th and reviews might come earlier), so everything will be revealed sooner or later.

6 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

I love how peeps were going with SLI 970s before but CF Rx 480 is a big no no. 

Give yourselves some applause. 

You're comment really is pointless, I guess it's you're misguided allusion that I'm willing to have SLi but not crossfire. My last setup was an X58 with 7870's in crossfire.  If anything your comment just points out that I have past experience with dual card setups, which gives me a basis for judgement.

My choice of the 1080 over 2 RX 480s has little to do with my preference for a single card solution, and more to do with the fact that the 1080 is just plain better and I'm willing to spend the extra $140 to buy it.

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

You're comment really is pointless, I guess it's you're misguided allusion that I'm willing to have SLi but not crossfire. My last setup was an X58 with 7870's in crossfire.  If anything your comment just points out that I have past experience with dual card setups, which gives me a basis for judgement.

My choice of the 1080 over 2 RX 480s has little to do with my preference for a single card solution, and more to do with the fact that the 1080 is just plain better and I'm willing to spend the extra $140 to buy it.

His comment is not pointless. A lot of people on this forum have been recommending/supporting SLI GTX 970's for 1440p, or 4k gaming for the past few months. And now that a new AMD card has come out which when crossfired has the potential to throw punches at Nvidia's current high-end GPU, and people are freaking out, shrugging off the mere suggestion of crossfiring two RX 480's.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I fail to see how you think I am directing my comment towards you. 

I've even pointed out very specifically SLI 970. Unless you too thought SLI 970 was okay and not for CF Rx 480. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

8 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

In what way is the 1080 better? The 480 and 1080 is hardly comparable. So vastly different and not in the same segment.

21 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

His comment is not pointless. A lot of people on this forum have been recommending/supporting SLI GTX 970's for 1440p, or 4k gaming for the past few months. And now that a new AMD card has come out which when crossfired has the potential to throw punches at Nvidia's current high-end GPU, and people are freaking out, shrugging off the mere suggestion of crossfiring two RX 480's.

18 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

I fail to see how you think I am directing my comment towards you. 

I've even pointed out very specifically SLI 970. Unless you too thought SLI 970 was okay and not for CF Rx 480. 

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but you posted that after I had just been discussing how having a single card solution for me, is part of the justification of buying a GTX 1080 and my signature still has GTX 970 SLi right in the top middle.  I hadn't seen anyone in this thread make any mention of the GTX 970 SLi and in the context it seems like you're directly criticizing me. 

If you were, I retain my stance.  If not I'll subtract a point from myself and award you one point.

29 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

In what way is the 1080 better? The 480 and 1080 is hardly comparable. So vastly different and not in the same segment.

We're talking about two 480's vs one 1080. That whole ashes comparison has people in the mindset that two 480's are really better than the 1080 in terms of overall performance.  I honestly think that's an unreasonable way to look at it and that AMD just used this to showcase how powerful their budget solution can be, which gives you a slight preview of how powerful of a polaris card they could release for $500.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but you posted that after I had just been discussing how having a single card solution for me, is part of the justification of buying a GTX 1080 and my signature still has GTX 970 SLi right in the top middle.  I hadn't seen anyone in this thread make any mention of the GTX 970 SLi and in the context it seems like you're directly criticizing me. 

If you were, I retain my stance.  If not I'll subtract a point from myself and award you one point.

Now I see why you were so aggressive. Rest assured, I did not give a shit about your specs. Nor your sig. 

There wouldn't be any mention of SLI 970 because bringing that up would make the argument against CF 480 a lil bit useless. 

No points for me either. My comment points to many people who approve only SLI 970 but not for CF 480. I know many add on a 970 after sometime, those I do not care.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

We're talking about two 480's vs one 1080. That whole ashes comparison has people in the mindset that two 480's are really better than the 1080 in terms of overall performance.  I honestly think that's an unreasonable way to look at it and that AMD just used this to showcase how powerful their budget solution can be, which gives you a slight preview of how powerful of a polaris card they could release for $500.

It's more a case of dual RX 480's (providing the intended scenario benefits from crossfire) being a more cost effective option.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

8 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Looking at the lack of snow on the path/dirt road for the comparison during AMDs event lends credit to it being broken on the 1080.  I expected more from you than the level of pettiness that statement makes.

I'm sorry. Do I know you? And you have expectations of me?

I was clearly cracking a joke. Given, it was one of those "funny because it's true" bits...

And you can argue all you want, but pretty much everyone who saw the video agreed that the benchmark running on the 1080 looked better... So if AMD cards are doing something extra that causes a performance hit, and the game to not look as good... Is that really something you want your GPU to be doing? I'd say that's not 'petty' but pretty basic common sense.

Looks like we have another AMD fanboy confirmed.

30 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Ahh, I misread your comment. My apologies.

If mGPU could be fixed, it could really stir up some interesting scenarios. Alas, you're correct that a single card is currently preferable. I think the take-away here is that 2 x 480s could beat a single 1080 in ideal scenarios but the whole mGPU situation is very... Well, words fail me, but it's so inconsistent and introduces lots of issues (or enhances existing ones) and both DX11 and DX12 have their share of issues in regards to mGPU support and that's not even including latencies and frame timings.

So yes, a powerful single card is always preferable to purchasing dual cards right off the bat. However, the 480 is an incredible value on its own and adding a second card later could be a decent solution.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm sure it is.  I'm not out to bash the RX 480, I don't see any thing wrong with it.  I honestly prefer a single card after a few lackluster experiences with SLi/Crossfire.  For my situation I think the extra $140 for the GTX 1080 is justifiable, and I also honestly think that the two RX 480 solution will not end up being comparable to the 1080(though I could be wrong).

Okay. Im as big a amd die hard as the next guy, but you are right. 140$ is worth not dealing with the hassle multi-gpu. 

CF is a poor comparrison to go by if someones gaming. Most games have terrible if any CF or sli support these days. And by the time they do the game becomes irrelevant. I used to do CF but in the last two years its not been viable for gaming. 

So unless amd plans to force devs to fully support CF going forward, this bench is kind of useless in a real world setting. 

TLDR: Single card thats more is worth not dealing with multi-gpu.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I suppose but the point is: the cards do more work. The benchmark is CPU-bottlenecked with the "normal" batches. An extension of my comment regarding how the CPU is doing more work to feed the two cards over a single card.

Normal batches mean less draw calls mean less work for the CPU to feed the GPUs so i don't understand why you think Normal batches become "CPU" bottleneck instead of GPU bottleneck.

Anyway this thread go derailed pretty fast since it's clearly the 1080 is at fault here. xD

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |