Regarding the RX 480 AOTS benchmark at Computex

Fulgrim
16 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:
  • neither of those numbers match what AMD showed
  • the runs were on different game versions
  • the diff between the RX and GTX is barely worth mentioning - not even close to what AMD showed

to put it simple: those are not the runs AMD used

amd-premium-directx-12-performance-slide

17 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I'm still generally not a fan of multi-GPU solutions. As I said before, I'm going to wait until average Joe can get their hands on cards.

And at this point in time, Dx12 benchmarks mean very little to me, since I'm still running Win7. And don't plan to switch for a good time.

Me neither, I've been disappointed with past SLi/Crossfire setups.  I edited my comment, it was really meant just to point that it's more likely that they used the 8GB cards. This would just cut the price gap down to $140 and I think once we see more benchmark results that $140 will probably be justified.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:
  • neither of those numbers match what AMD showed
  • the runs were on different game versions
  • the diff between the RX and GTX is barely worth mentioning - not even close to what AMD showed

to put it simple: those are not the runs AMD used

amd-premium-directx-12-performance-slide

Computex demo = 1080p

I linked you 1440p benchmarks, which are irrefutable. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

7 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Computex demo = 1080p

I linked you 1440p benchmarks, which are irrefutable. 

irrefutable in what case? 

GTX1080 at 1140p crazy gets 58FPS avg (normal batches)

and you're telling me 2x RX480 result was at 1080p ?!?! because otherwise, I sincerely do not understand

32 minutes ago, Notree said:

Nvidia fan?  ...

yep

Every one in this thread is thinking of multi gpu all wrong, for instance i have crossfire R7 360, 360+360=720, so obviously i have the power of an nVidia Geforce Gt720, meanwhile 480+480=960 so obviously the 1080 is still faster, and to my justify my earlier point that Fermi is the best nVidia architecture because of it's async hardware support 580+580=1160, 1160>1080, confirmed on LTT forums that SLI GTX 580s is the best 4k gaming setup /thread.

16 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Dumb. How is number of people who play it relevant to testing the dx 12 support of cards? Would number of people playing it change the benchmark scores? If you think this is an outlier, you are welcome to go test Hitman, Quantum Break and Total War: Warhammer to see whether Nvidia sucks or not at asynchronous compute. People said Aots was one game and we should wait. We got 3 more and people are still saying wait. Don't worry we have Deus Ex, BF1, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlezone and Watch Dogs 2 still coming up. How many more exactly do you need again?

None of the games you mentioned have been tested on the RX 480, so I'll wait and see. Given the 1080 runs 81fps in Hitman & 80fps In Total War in 1440p that's not too shabby. Quantum Break is poorly optimized at best, no one even uses it for benchmarks I can find.

I'll wait till the other games you mentioned are even released before using them as proof in an argument.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

2 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Every one in this thread is thinking of multi gpu all wrong, for instance i have crossfire R7 360, 360+360=720, so obviously i have the power of an nVidia Geforce Gt720, meanwhile 480+480=960 so obviously the 1080 is still faster, and to my justify my earlier point that Fermi is the best nVidia architecture because of it's async hardware support 580+580=1160, 1160>1080, confirmed on LTT forums that SLI GTX 580s is the best 4k gaming setup /thread.

hahaahaahahah, good one)))) 

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

irrefutable in what case? 

GTX1080 at 1140p crazy get 58FPS avg (normal batches)

and you're telling me 2x RX480 result was at 1080p ?!?! because otherwise, I sincerely do not understand

Irrefutable in the sense that they are benchmarks done within the game, and uploaded directly to AOTS servers. You can see the game settings, as well as the framerates for batch types etc.

Are you suggesting they are refutable? And if so, please explain how.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

8 minutes ago, No Nrg said:

None of the games you mentioned have been tested on the RX 480, so I'll wait and see. Given the 1080 runs 81fps in Hitman & 80fps In Total War in 1440p that's not too shabby. Quantum Break is poorly optimized at best, no one even uses it for benchmarks I can find.

I'll wait till the other games you mentioned are even released before using them as proof in an argument.

holy crap RIP gtx 960 in that total war bench.

3 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Are you suggesting they are refutable? And if so, please explain how.

I explained in my original post

Saw this, and it definitely is interesting.

Still waiting for actual benchmarks for more games. Afterall, most games are still DX11.

I don't care too much, since I'm going Vega anyways (unless the 1080ti absolutely murders Vega. I have a freesync monitor so I'm willing to take, say, a Fury X over the 980 ti, so if Vega is 10% worse than GP102/100 I'll still go Vega).

WHY DO WE ALWAYS HAVE TO WAIT I JUST WANT STUEPID BENCHMARKS!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

WHY DO WE ALWAYS HAVE TO WAIT I JUST WANT STUEPID BENCHMARKS!!!!!!!!!!

Because they want to build the hype.

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I know.... :(

Well, it sure ain't working on me. I'm just getting annoyed instead of hyped lol

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I explained in my original post

OK, so they aren't the EXACT ones from the show, but they're both at Crazy 1440p settings in a standardised benchmark showing the RX 480 CF matching up to the GTX 1080. It's all there in black and white.

Now that's a single game that we know AMD generally performs well in compared to nVidia, but the fact is these RX 480's are no slouch at their price point. I'm waiting for more benchmarks in different games, but even so I doubt I'll be disappointed. These cards weren't ever meant to take on the GTX 1080, they're entry level cards for crying out loud, but at least the scalability is there to seriously push some pixels if you want it after you've put together your budget build. What I find amazing is that for ~£200 I can pick up a card that will destroy any game at 1080p Ultra and run VR. That'll suit me until I can afford to go 4K with a flagship card and a new screen.

8 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

aaa... you know, people... want hate... yep

@Fulgrim Thank you for the Clarification, this was much needed.

As for some educated guessing on the 480's performance in mainstream / DX11 titles:

A single Fury X is 18% faster than a single 980 Ti in Ashes of the Singularity 1440p.

A single 980 Ti is 17% faster than a single Fury X in Battlefield 4 1440p. 

A single 1080 is 61% faster than a single 480 in Ashes of the Singularity 1440p.

That gives Ashes of the Singularity a 35% bias towards AMD. If you do some napkin math, 

A 1080 should be 61% faster + 35% lost in Ashes of the Singularity = 96% faster.

A 1080 gets 105 FPS in Battlefield 4 1440p.

Divide 105 FPS by 1.96, and you get 54 FPS.

That means the $200 480 is 96% slower than a $600 1080 for 300% less cost.

Conclusion: The 480 is half as fast as a 1080 for one third of the price, even in DX11.

If messed up my calculations somewhere, I haven't taken statistics and this is just an approximation. A very rough approximation, but still a very telling result.

Sources:

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

7 minutes ago, Daiyus said:

These cards weren't ever meant to take on the GTX 1080

no? interesting because AMD showed on stage that two of thier RX480s can beat a GTX1080

while the actual results show barely a 0.1 FPS diff in average - normal batches

plus the difference in scene quality on AMD's RX runs

---

I do not have the game not do I intend to purchase it - can anyone confirm without any doubt that the bench run can't be modified and would show differently on-line?

do you see the core clocks these video cards ran at?

there are 1440p crazy runs of GTX1080 that show way higher avg FPS than AMD's run - and keep in mind, that linked GTX1080 run was on a older version of the game

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no? interesting because AMD showed on stage that two of thier RX480s can beat a GTX1080

---

I do not have the game not do I intend to purchase it - can anyone confirm without any doubt that the bench run can't be modified and would show differently on-line?

there are 1440p crazy runs of GTX1080 that show way higher avg FPS than AMD's run - and keep in mind, that linked GTX1080 run was on a older version of the game

The reason why there is a difference between the GTX 1080 & RX 480 CF benches are explained in the OP, you tit. You're trying to dismiss the official statement from AMD, as well as the two AOTS 1440p benchmarks i linked you, as a comparison between the two GPU setups (albeit not the specific ones used in the computex livesteam), that are using reference models of either card.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

---

Here are 2 Perfectly Identical Benchmarks of the 480 and 1080:

(2x) 480 Benchmark - 60 FPS - Extreme 1440p

1080 Benchmark - 64 FPS - Extreme 1440p

Every setting and between these 2 benchmarks are perfectly identical. So you are correct, (2x) 480 cannot beat a single 1080, but it comes damn close and for a lot cheaper.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

---

Dude, we're on PC's; anything can be tampered with if you want to. I'd say official benchmarks from the databanks of the developers of the game are about as official as you'd get from anywhere outside benching it yourself. Argue about the on-stage demo's all you want, but in a standard benchmark independent of the show with identical settings we're seeing the parity.

This is where my opinion comes in; I believe they decided to show off the scalability of their new cards merely to show off how cheaply you can get similar performance to a flagship card. They're effectively calling nVidia out on their ridiculous pricing as well as saying "hey, you can build a kick ass system on a budget, but you can then buy another card cheap and see similar performance to a flagship card".

If I were new to the game and didn't know much about SLI/Crossfire and I was planning my first budget build that'd certainly make me sit up and listen; why should I cough up £620 now just for a GPU when I can build a complete system for that and throw £200 more at it later to get comparable performance?

Sure, for enthusiasts that are already on flagship cards then the RX 480 is irrelevant, they're already happy to splurge that cash on a flagship card as it's something they're confident in, just like car junkies don't think twice about a £1000 exhaust system, but for entry level users it's a nice upgrade path to have the option of. 

6 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

Here are 2 Perfectly Identical Benchmarks of the 480 and 1080:

(2x) 480 Benchmark - 60 FPS - Extreme 1440p

1080 Benchmark - 64 FPS - Extreme 1440p

Every setting and between these 2 benchmarks are perfectly identical. So you are correct, (2x) 480 cannot beat a single 1080, but it comes damn close and for a lot cheaper.

~$140 price difference.  May be a deal breaker for certain budgets, but IMO justifies a single card setup.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

The reason why there is a difference between the GTX 1080 & RX 480 CF benches are explained in the OP, you tit. You're trying to dismiss the official statement from AMD, as well as the two AOTS 1440p benchmarks i linked you, as a comparison between the two setups, that are using reference models of either card.

watch your language buddy

oh yes, I'm dismissing outright Robert's BS excuse with the snow

like I said in the other thread, it doesn't explain the difference in the mountain ridges details - they are flatter and muddier on the RX run

the excuse of YT compression doesn't hold either since the source is exactly the same

don't you find it funny that RX480 NDA lift and release date is on the exact same day?! just like it happened with R9 390(X) when it was shown to be just a rebadge with more VRAM

but don't you worry, on the 29th you'll know the truth

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

~$140

Part of me is asking why they didn't try to use a 1070 and tell everyone "our $400 solution is better than their $400 solution".

But I guess it sounds better when you compare it to the 1080.