1070 or Duel 480?

Yoo Song Won
1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

Not how that works. If you want something proven you let outside testing happen. AMD won't allow any outside testing... Wonder why...

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Vega is coming :D The RX 480 is competition for pascal, just not for the higher end ones like the 1070 and 1080, it is for the 1060 and if we look at the former couple of gens it has been AMD that has had best price to performance up untill the really high end (1080ti/titan something). It also seems like AMD first drivers for their new cards are shit, but get better and better and better over time, it is good that they get better, but it is bad that they a lot ot the times start badly out, Nvidia is typically better at making better first drivers for new cards. I hope that we see something insane from both companies, so I can get the most for my money :D.

If the 1080ti is the best card this gen in 70-80% of things I will get that, but if not I am going with AMD because of DX12 and I am pretty sure that I will need the better DX12 support in a year.

Nividia is heavily involved with the development of DX12. DX12=/=Async, no matter how hard AMD's marketing department tries. xD 

I actually hope we don't see a 1060 or lower, give AMD some breathing room and see what they do with it. Competition has given us a market that's segregated and more interested as to which card performs better than the game itself.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Nividia is heavily involved with the development of DX12. DX12=/=Async, no matter how hard AMD's marketing department tries. xD 

I actually hope we don't see a 1060 or lower, give AMD some breathing room and see what they do with it. Competition has given us a market that's segregated and more interested as to which card performs better than the game itself.

Nvidia will probably do it after the general (gamer) public realise they might not be getting one and go insane.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Yeah I know that DX12=/=Async, but right now AMD has the better DX12 support. From what I have read Nvidia will not be able to get the same kind of DX12 support as AMD has this gen.

Nah if this is going to be like the 900 and 300/fury series AMD is going to have the better cards up until the 1080ti.

The thing I hope most for this year is not something that is dicretly linked to GPUs, it is ultrawide 1440p HDR screens. :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Nvidia will probably do it after the general (gamer) public realise they might not be getting one and go insane.

My guess is the Titan 10 and 1080ti in early November. As for the 1060 and lower I wouldn't be surprised if it's a year, or E3. With how crazy things have been literally nothing could surprise me xD 

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah I know that DX12=/=Async, but right now AMD has the better DX12 support. From what I have read Nvidia will not be able to get the same kind of DX12 support as AMD has this gen.

Nah if this is going to be like the 900 and 300/fury series AMD is going to have the better cards up until the 1080ti.

The thing I hope most for this year is not something that is dicretly linked to GPUs, it is ultrawide 1440p HDR screens. :D 

xD Name the feature? Nvidia has the money, they wouldn't release an entire line of graphics cards that wouldn't be able to compete. Why we haven't seen the 490 launched with the 480 like it was supposed to or the 1060ti that was set to launch with the Pascal launch which is a desktop version of the 1070m. I have never seen as much smoke and mirrors as we have right now. It's tough to even comment because everyone is so disoriented.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

xD Name the feature? Nvidia has the money, they wouldn't release an entire line of graphics cards that wouldn't be able to compete. Why we haven't seen the 490 launched with the 480 like it was supposed to or the 1060ti that was set to launch with the Pascal launch which is a desktop version of the 1070m. I have never seen as much smoke and mirrors as we have right now. It's tough to even comment because everyone is so disoriented.

I am pretty sure that the 490 is vega since AMD sees the 390 as a high end card and polaris is said to be mid end and low end.

The feature is just plain better DX12 support and well they should support HDR screens, but so should Nvidia.

Have you looked at the 900 and 300 series performance? AMD beats Nvidia from the 960 to the 980 and those are all of the cards that sell the most, but from what I have seen many people are a little Nvidia fanboys or think of AMD as a second tier brand.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I am pretty sure that the 490 is vega since AMD sees the 390 as a high end card and polaris is said to be mid end and low end.

The feature is just plain better DX12 support and well they should support HDR screens, but so should Nvidia.

Have you looked at the 900 and 300 series performance? AMD beats Nvidia from the 960 to the 980 and those are all of the cards that sell the most, but from what I have seen many people are a little Nvidia fanboys or think of AMD as a second tier brand.

Fanboys gotta fan. The best built graphics card I have ever owned was my Vapor-X 290. Still the high water mark. My 980ti isn't built anywhere close to as brick shit house as that card.

APIs come and go, each is going to change the world and years later no one cares. In a year no one will be talking about it, it will just be XYZ game. The thing to watch is how AMD supports it's older cards. For years AMD has aged better because their cards were rebrands, so the drivers went back and forth. Own a few and know the 300 series worked just the same on the 200. Now AMD is in Nvidia's shoes. To offer support to the older cards it means separate drivers. So what do they do? Cut support like Nvidia but pretend? Or actually spend the money? That has me the most curious and will guide my future purchases.

Wait until the card comes out, multi-gpu configs have been awful lately so hopefully crossfire works good with the 480.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Fanboys gotta fan. The best built graphics card I have ever owned was my Vapor-X 290. Still the high water mark. My 980ti isn't built anywhere close to as brick shit house as that card.

APIs come and go, each is going to change the world and years later no one cares. In a year no one will be talking about it, it will just be XYZ game. The thing to watch is how AMD supports it's older cards. For years AMD has aged better because their cards were rebrands, so the drivers went back and forth. Own a few and know the 300 series worked just the same on the 200. Now AMD is in Nvidia's shoes. To offer support to the older cards it means separate drivers. So what do they do? Cut support like Nvidia but pretend? Or actually spend the money? That has me the most curious and will guide my future purchases.

Yeah it is going to be very interesting to see what AMD is going to do with the 200 and 300 series cards. Yeah the Vapor-x cards are really well build.

On 6/1/2016 at 2:52 PM, App4that said:

No, this has been covered in other topics. AMD used different graphics setting between the two. And crossfire only works some of the time while the 1080 is a 1080 all of the time.

That is incorrect the both used 1080p Crazy Settings with x8 Msaa. The reason the 1080 has those big brown lines is because they are failing to execute the snow shaders properly giving this unnatural look. Its suppose to be white not big brown blotches. This actually gave the 1080 a slight advantage because it doesnt have to process the shaders. 

13 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

I can tell you are a fanboy. Freesync and G sync do the same exact thing. Both are identical except Nvidia charges way to much for a proprietary module that is not needed.

Although they are somewhat the exact same thing freesync is a much cheaper solution for manufacturers as they already have most of the hardware for it in the monitors. Gsync on the other hand is a module they have to buy from Nvidia at a large premium usually adding over 200 dollars to the monitor. The only drawback with the Freesync solution is they all are not created equal. they have a wide array of ranges where freesync stops working so you have to educate yourself on each monitors Hz range where freesync is effective. this is available on AMD's website on the freesync page. 

2x480 will give you spectacular performance for $400(4GB)-$500(8GB) USD surpassing the 1070($379(8gb)). Notice the 1070 will cost less then 2 480 8gbs this is worth noting because in the future he would have a greater potential for future upgrades if he purchased the 1070.

Crossfire isnt bad at all and the scaling is superior to SLI. There is tons of profiles available and i havnt found one that doesnt work great. I even use the crysis 3 profile for star citizen and it works fine. The 480 is gonna be a great solution for people that were in the 960 and 380/380X market as it will give 390+/970+ performance for $199-230 USD with giving you the option of crossfiring later to really give you a considerable upgrade. I did this myself as i Got a 380X for christmas and I was amazed at the performance/fps value i was getting. So when my birthday came around you can guess what i wanted lol I couldnt have been much happier with the results i saw scaling as high as 1.85 the framerates i was having before crossfiring. 

Dont be afraid of crossfire or sli but i would get a 1070 if your in the market for a gpu and you have 400 usd simply because in the future you could sli the 1070 to get some pretty amazing performance. Im guessing the new sli bridge may have equaled or beat the crossfire scaling but i havnt seen any tests of that just the last gen. if you were on a tighter budget it would be the RX 480 without a doubt. If you have any questions about crossfiring or anything else feel free to ask. 

5 hours ago, App4that said:

They dont have dedicated Async hardware like amd does. They use a half hardware half software solution which isnt as good. this is proven on any game with Async compute. Even on AoS they only see a 3-5 percent boost from async compute as opposed to amd where they saw as much as a 40% improvement. If you look into vulkan development for doom you can actually see twitter posts from developers praising AMD's dedicated async compute. They especially like it for Console giving them performance never seen before. 

4 hours ago, JimmyTheHeadcrab said:

Wait until the card comes out, multi-gpu configs have been awful lately so hopefully crossfire works good with the 480.

it works amazing on my CF 380X get 1.85 scaling in alot of games. Locked at 144 fps at 1440p with AA off in bf4 (64 player server). i also get performance surpassing the titan x on ashes. Crossfire scaling is alot better then SLI. 
Multi GPU Technology Analysis – Nvidia SLI and AMD CrossFire Scaling, Frame-Time and Value Comparison

4 hours ago, CurryCalgs said:

That is incorrect the both used 1080p Crazy Settings with x8 Msaa. The reason the 1080 has those big brown lines is because they are failing to execute the snow shaders properly giving this unnatural look. Its suppose to be white not big brown blotches. This actually gave the 1080 a slight advantage because it doesnt have to process the shaders. 

they were running at 1440p and not 1080p, I have linked the benchmark earlier here in this topic, I think it is one page 2.

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they were running at 1440p and not 1080p, I have linked the benchmark earlier here in this topic, I think it is one page 2.

thats incorrect. The fps numbers were for 1080P crazy settings with x8 msaa. I benchmark on AoS that was just a demo showing the performance it wasn't the actually test taking place but an example of what the actually game looks like between the 2 cards. They had 2 computers with the exact same config running side by side live in that Video. The fps numbers weren't the live test results being shown but a average of 10 tests on each system. If you knew how demanding those settings were youd understand why it simply cant be done. there's not a single card on the market that can get over 60 fps with max overclocks at 1440p crazy settings x8 msaa.  to be honest there isnt even a card on the market that can get over 60 fps at those settings at 1080p with stock clocks. the 1080 comes the closest with that 58.7 fps. People keep jumping to conclusion before doing any research. Youll notice most of the benchmarks your looking at aren't those settings or on the AoS version shown below. this is Head of global marketing for amd responding on reddit the day after computex. 

Spoiler

3q6IpVt.png

9 minutes ago, CurryCalgs said:

thats incorrect. The fps numbers were for 1080P crazy settings with x8 msaa. I benchmark on AoS that was just a demo showing the performance it wasn't the actually test taking place but an example of what the actually game looks like between the 2 cards. They had 2 computers with the exact same config running side by side live in that Video. The fps numbers weren't the live test results being shown but a average of 10 tests on each system. If you knew how demanding those settings were youd understand why it simply cant be done. there's not a single card on the market that can get over 60 fps with max overclocks at 1440p crazy settings x8 msaa.  to be honest there isnt even a card on the market that can get over 60 fps at those settings at 1080p with stock clocks. the 1080 comes the closest with that 58.7 fps. People keep jumping to conclusion before doing any research. Youll notice most of the benchmarks your looking at aren't those settings or on the AoS version shown below. this is Head of global marketing for amd responding on reddit the day after computex. 

Hide contents

3q6IpVt.png

Well the benchmarks I linked to was done by AMD. I can't remember the setting, but they might have turned them a bit down in the 1440p version I have found.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Well the benchmarks I linked to was done by AMD. I can't remember the setting, but they might have turned them a bit down in the 1440p version I have found.

if you read what he said they kept the settings the same and had the same performance delta. Those arnt the bench they used for the results. 

try to read my whole post before responding. The settings they are running wouldn't put it in the crazy settings ranking on the AoS leaderboard because it is classified as Other. So you wouldnt be able to find the test systems enless they gave you the username which isnt Radeondemo. 

9 hours ago, App4that said:

Not how that works. If you want something proven you let outside testing happen. AMD won't allow any outside testing... Wonder why...

theres people gonna release benchmarks in the next few days... they have sent out shit tons of RX 480's to reviewers. Not everyone signed a NDA. 

I think that powerful single gpu always is better than SLI/Crossfire because of support and poor optimization in some games.

10 hours ago, CurryCalgs said:

try to read my whole post before responding. The settings they are running wouldn't put it in the crazy settings ranking on the AoS leaderboard because it is classified as Other. So you wouldnt be able to find the test systems enless they gave you the username which isnt Radeondemo. 

Going to quote you once but respond as a whole.

No, AMD rigged that benchmark. All you have to do is look at the independent benchmarks done to see that, where the 1080 had no issues with the game and performed better.

Async is not the magic bullet you think it is. Not by any measure. It's one feature that only one game has made use of (as the other games take away as may fps as they give on AMD hardware) because of AotS being written to be a point of contention. It relies on the number of AI units to offer an advantage. In a year Async will be the new Tessellation.

The biggest and most AMD biased reviewers don't have retail copies of the RX 480. Anything you see is smoke and mirrors. It will be the end of the month before the benchmarks hit, by design. It's constructed by AMD's marketing team to have you forget about the claims made in the press conference.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Going to quote you once but respond as a whole.

No, AMD rigged that benchmark. All you have to do is look at the independent benchmarks done to see that, where the 1080 had no issues with the game and performed better.

Async is not the magic bullet you think it is. Not by any measure. It's one feature that only one game has made use of (as the other games take away as may fps as they give on AMD hardware) because of AotS being written to be a point of contention. It relies on the number of AI units to offer an advantage. In a year Async will be the new Tessellation.

The biggest and most AMD biased reviewers don't have retail copies of the RX 480. Anything you see is smoke and mirrors. It will be the end of the month before the benchmarks hit, by design. It's constructed by AMD's marketing team to have you forget about the claims made in the press conference.

wheres these benchmarks? ive never seen one on crazy settings at stock clocks. thers not a single 1080 above 68 fps on the leaderboard. thats overclocked mind you. You dont know what your talking about im sorry. 

The 480s will probably be faster in games that support crossfire, but get the 1070, as not all games support crossfire.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

2 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

The 480s will probably be faster in games that support crossfire, but get the 1070, as not all games support crossfire.

almost every game does. I can name 4 AAA titles that do support it for every 1 that doesnt. have you even had cards in crossfire before? 

1 minute ago, CurryCalgs said:

almost every game does. I can name 4 AAA titles that do support it for every 1 that doesnt. have you even had cards in crossfire before? 

I haven't, but some dude from before posted benchmarks of crappy crossfire scaling. So....

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?