AMD Radeon RX 480

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I guess... roman for R10? :P

lol maybe 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, iPolymer said:

I'm surprised that the price is that low amd maybe it can compete with the 1080 in normal games. When could we see benchmarks. 

well according to the demo two of them competes with a 1080, not a single one

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Good thing I haven't pulled the trigger for that R9 380. I'll wait until some of the partner OEMs release their own versions of the 480.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well according to the demo two of them competes with a 1080, not a single one

At 50% GPU usage i'm thinking the 480 will be just under a GTX 1070, though i am only going off that benchmark they used which focuses on AMD's great compute performance in DX12, actual gaming across the board though i am unsure.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I want to know where this card is going to fall in the lineup

so do I.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, iPolymer said:

I'm surprised that the price is that low amd maybe it can compete with the 1080 in normal games. When could we see benchmarks. 

It's a replacement for the 380/960 tier. It's going to be about equivalent to a 390/970. Looking at it in this lens, it's around $20 more expensive than than the 380 was. It's not actually that good value at all. It just looks it because everyone is still thinking of it as a 390 for $199, rather than a new generation of product in the x80 tier.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Well in a line up perspective, no, but in terms of what it is supposed to do, its probably not too shabby at all IMO.

It's not any more powerful than you should have expected. It's pretty standard that each product jumps a tier in performance each generation. Anything else and it would have been a disaster for AMD.

What does this mean is it better than like what r9 380 series by what margin I want reviews NOW!! Also good on LTT for the scoop everyone is going to have to reference him.

Oh boy. Now I'm getting all excited. Better than or equal performance as the R9 390x for $200? That's a winning combination right there.

"If you always say no, you'll never say yes."

1 minute ago, iop90 said:

Oh boy. Now I'm getting all excited. Better than or equal performance as the R9 390x for $200? That's a winning combination right there.

At some benchies, out benchmarking GTX 980 in 3dmark FS.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, iop90 said:

Really that makes my plans a whole lot cheaper I can do 1440p gaming without upgrading everything I think/hope.

3 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

What does this mean is it better than like what r9 380 series by what margin I want reviews NOW!! Also good on LTT for the scoop everyone is going to have to reference him.

Considering they announced it in the stream before LTT got their video up ( :( ) probably not

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well in a line up perspective, no, but in terms of what it is supposed to do, its probably not too shabby at all IMO.

Unfortunately it's not quite what I want as it's a bit too low end unless I wanted to go 1080p but I almost kind of feel that an i5 6600K is then a bit overkill for 1080p 60hz. So yeah, I think I might go GTX 1070 if I build before Vega drops.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

It's not any more powerful than you should have expected. It's pretty standard that each product jumps a tier in performance each generation. Anything else and it would have been a disaster for AMD.

Even if it had been more equivalent to the GTX 1070? Which I know the R9 (well RX now)  80(X) line isn't meant to compete with the GTX (x)x70 line but considering that seems to be all they're releasing right now is the lower end stuff (pretty much no mid range stuff) it is a little disappointing. But for those on super low budgets or gaming at 1080p, it'll be a great card.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I think you're being a bit biased and pessimistic. I'm aware at the jumping a tick idea, but I think it would be a wise idea to be a bit more open minded with this coming generation. Hopefully AMD overdelivers once the benchmarks come out.

I'm being neither. I just find it hard to get excited over really low end stuff for this reason. It's just last generations's performance, but down a price point. That's all the 1060 will be too.

No way I am not upgrading to an intel build if thats the case I wanted to use my cpu along a bit longer anyways until there is a game changer in the cpu market.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

I'm being neither. I just find it hard to get excited over really low end stuff for this reason. It's just last generations's performance, but down a price point. That's all the 1060 will be too.

Please tell everyone here how this is REALLY LOW END?

Do you game at 4K or something? for 1080P the 480 will be a serious pixel cruncher.

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Even if it had been more equivalent to the GTX 1070? Which I know the R9 (well RX now)  80(X) line isn't meant to compete with the GTX (x)x70 line but considering that seems to be all they're releasing right now is the lower end stuff (pretty much no mid range stuff) it is a little disappointing. But for those on super low budgets or gaming at 1080p, it'll be a great card.

Maybe. On the other hand, the 390X is the same exact product as the 290X, and you can get used 290Xs for dirt cheap second hand. In all likelihood, half the price as the 480 or something that is in raw performance terms the same. The 480 comes with a warranty, and much lower power and heat and everything, but otherwise there's no difference. I'm sure the 490 and 490X are coming, and they are quite exciting.

2 minutes ago, hex4 said:

Please tell everyone here how this is REALLY LOW END?

Do you game at 4K or something? for 1080P the 480 will be a serious pixel cruncher.

Well since you mention it, yes actually, I do game at 4K, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's the replacement for the 380/960. It's low end. It's not more a "serious pixel cruncher" than the 970 or 390, only this time it's a bit cheaper, but still more expensive than you could get a  290X for.

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Idk man, Crossfire Polaris could mean a  low price 14nm process setup w/ comparable performance to the new Nvidia cards. That seems pretty attractive to me.

2 minutes ago, iop90 said:

Idk man, Crossfire Polaris could mean a  low price 14nm process setup w/ comparable performance to the new Nvidia cards. That seems pretty attractive to me.

You've always been able to do that. 760 SLi was more powerful than a 780 for the same price, 960 SLI was more powerful than a 980 for less, same goes for the 380, 270X. In fact the 270X was an extreme case of that, dual 270Xs was ridiculously cheap compared to a 290X a couple of years ago.

It does, however, excite me as a direction to move in. If AMD force multi-GPU onto the consoles, and devs are forced to write for it then multi-GPU on PC gets a lot more interesting.

Just watched Linus' video. The DROP!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

You've always been able to do that. 760 SLi was more powerful than a 780 for the same price, 960 SLI was more powerful than a 980 for less, same goes for the 380, 270X. In fact the 270X was an extreme case of that, dual 270Xs was ridiculously cheap compared to a 290X a couple of years ago.

It does, however, excite me as a direction to move in. If AMD force multi-GPU onto the consoles, and devs are forced to write for it then multi-GPU on PC gets a lot more interesting.

It may be wishful thinking, but what if multi-GPU is the new multi-core CPU

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GETTING A NEW CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RX 480 HYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402