Best PWM 140mm chassis fan?

crystal6tak

Hey all! Got a Define R5, and this is my setup so far:

wA0Tqzr.jpg

Thinking of moving the two stock fans to the front for intake, then buy a beefy 140mm for the back as exhaust.

Main issue I'm having is the GPU is starving for air during load. Hits 75C with case closed. Keeping it open drops it down to 67C. Hopefully adding an extra fan as intake would help.

Before anyone recommends a fan, is there really no other option other than Noctua NF-A14? (Also, thoughts on NF-A14 vs NF-A15?)

Some criteria for the fan:

-Moves lots of air (obviously)

-PWM

-Able to run pretty much silently (when idling)

-I don't mind it making noise at higher RPM, the GPU on load will drown it out.

-Price isn't an issue. (Don't want two fans for exhaust, nowhere to put it. I don't want to open up any dampeners)

-Aesthetic isn't an issue. (It can be hot pink for all I care)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Holy mother of gpu-sag batman!

With that out of the way, for a case fan, the nf-a14 is a solid contender. The be quiet silent wings 2 140mm is also a very solid fan.

Note: I am a bit of a be Quiet! fanboy, but how can I not be? Their fans are excellent, I'm in love with the base 800, and their dark rock pro is a great cpu cooler. Quality German engineering I tell ye.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I've got same case but white windowed version currently with corsair 110i v2 (can't stand pump noise) which I'm planning to replace with NH-D15. I have the same idea of moving stock rear fan to the front for the intake and get NF-A14 for rear exhaust. 

What memory modules are you using? I'm worried my corsair vengeance lpx might be too tall.

What CPU are using? Overclock? I would like run my i6700k with 4.5-4.6 using NH-D15

53 minutes ago, kobazik said:

I've got same case but white windowed version currently with corsair 110i v2 (can't stand pump noise) which I'm planning to replace with NH-D15. I have the same idea of moving stock rear fan to the front for the intake and get NF-A14 for rear exhaust. 

What memory modules are you using? I'm worried my corsair vengeance lpx might be too tall.

What CPU are using? Overclock? I would like run my i6700k with 4.5-4.6 using NH-D15

Check my profile for full rig. NH-D15 has cut out for RAM. You just have to level the fan accordingly.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=262

4790K at 4.7 ghz with 1.3V. Using extremely low fan curve (I hate noise). Spikes to 84C during sudden load. Levels off to 75C once the fans start ramping up. I think I did a bad paste job, not sure. What I do know is, the default fan curve by the motherboard is WAY louder than the custom one I set.

In other words, you'll be fine. The NH-D15 is one of the best cooler you can get. Only significantly beaten by 360 rad AIO's.

As for the rear exhaust fan, I have my eye on the nf-a14 industrialppc-2000 pwm. Looks like the one to get for exhaust. I found this thread, it's a good read, especially since you have R4. 

The intake is not the place to skimp and use stock fans.  Not only are they pulling air in through those little side vents, they are also pulling it through a filter.  You want good SP fans there.

Fractal Venturi, Phantek SP or XP, or Bitfenix Spectre Pros are all good choices

The rear vent, being largely unobstructed, is the place to put an inexpensive AF type fan.

But, given that " Using extremely low fan curve" on the CPU cooler the problem may not be solved by improved case flow.

2 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

The intake is not the place to skimp and use stock fans.  Not only are they pulling air in through those little side vents, they are also pulling it through a filter.  You want good SP fans there.

Fractal Venturi, Phantek SP or XP, or Bitfenix Spectre Pros are all good choices

The rear vent, being largely unobstructed, is the place to put an inexpensive AF type fan.

I got a couple gentle typhoon 120mm 1850 at my home country (abroad right now for college) which I'll be flying back to get this summer. I'll be using two of them for front intake.

BTW, which one would be better for rear exhaust, NF-A15 iPPC 2000 140mm or Gentle Typhoon 1850 120mm?

16 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

I got a couple gentle typhoon 120mm 1850 at my home country (abroad right now for college) which I'll be flying back to get this summer. I'll be using two of them for front intake.

BTW, which one would be better for rear exhaust, NF-A15 iPPC 2000 140mm or Gentle Typhoon 1850 120mm?

The Noctua should move more air.  Those Gentle Typhoons are low SP airflow type fans.  they may be quiet, but they won't do much in the front of that case.

24 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

The Noctua should move more air.  Those Gentle Typhoons are low SP airflow type fans.  they may be quiet, but they won't do much in the front of that case.

One more unrelated question :P Which do you think would work better for front intake. NF-F12 (regular poop brown) or Gentle Typhoon 1850? (I have both)

I was set on using the Gentle Typhoons, after a few google searches, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

3 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

One more unrelated question :P Which do you think would work better for front intake. NF-F12 (regular poop brown) or Gentle Typhoon 1850? (I have both)

I was set on using the Gentle Typhoons, after a few google searches, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

The Noctuas by far.