GTX 1080, 1070 and wait for 1080TI or see what AMD are doing?

Hi everyone, I'm building a new system but I have not yet decided on a GPU. I was originally going to go GTX 1080 but I've been told that it's performance isn't great and I'd be better waiting for the TI next year however I have no PC at the moment due to selling my previous 290X. I have no preference on AMD/Nvidia as long as it works well but I'm wondering should I get the 1070 and wait for the ti next year, wait for polaris or just get the 1080.

Because I'm building a glass watercooled PC my other concern is if I get the 1080TI next year it will be a pain to cut and redo all the tubing as it won't use the same waterblock as the 970 did with the 980ti.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

I would get a 1070 if i was only gaming at 1920x1080, 1080 if i was at 4k. 

you could also use flextube from and to the gpu so you could change that for glass if you buy your 'final' gpu.

But it al depends on how much you are willing to spend. you could also buy a (used) 970 and wait for a TI if you want to wait that long.

5 minutes ago, TechMinerUK said:

've been told that it's performance isn't great

this is bullshit. Whoever said that is comparing it to a 980TI SLI config.

Depends on resolution. You dont need a 1070 or 1080 for 1080p. 980 or 980 ti can do the trick and you can get em for 250-430 right now on ebay or other sites. 1070 for custom cooler for 370 will be the much better deal if you cant find a 980 or 980 ti for under 350 or 300 but hopefully you can.

2 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

I would get a 1070 if i was only gaming at 1920x1080, 1080 if i was at 4k. 

Thanks for the response, I currently game at 1080 but want to move to 1440/4K in the future :)

1 minute ago, JPotze said:

you could also use flextube from and to the gpu so you could change that for glass if you buy your 'final' gpu.

But it al depends on how much you are willing to spend. you could also buy a (used) 970 and wait for a TI if you want to wait that long.

this is bullshit. Whoever said that is comparing it to a 980TI SLI config.

Hi, ideally I want to have the system looking finished this year, budget stretches to about £620 including waterblock :)

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Depends on resolution. You dont need a 1070 or 1080 for 1080p. 980 or 980 ti can do the trick and you can get em for 250-430 right now on ebay or other sites.

I'm looking to move away from 1080P plus over here the 9XX generation are still retaining their value so they aren't very competitive :(

2 minutes ago, TechMinerUK said:

I'm looking to move away from 1080P plus over here the 9XX generation are still retaining their value so they aren't very competitive :(

with that budget you mentioned you can't get a 1070 or a 1080 with waterblock. you need more budget. as a reference, a 1080 waterblock from ekwb would cost 100 bucks ex tax and shipping.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

1440p will be 1080 for 144 hz gaming, or 1070 for 60-100 hz (some tweaks can be made for 144 hz with lower settings) 1080 for 4k gaming.

So which card would be more suitable for the time being, to be honest I'm also looking to go Freesync/GSync if that makes any difference as for some reason we only have 4K IPS GSync panels and not 1440P

with that budget you mentioned you can't get a 1070 or a 1080 with waterblock. you need more budget. as a reference, a 1080 waterblock from ekwb would cost 100 bucks ex tax and shipping.

I'm in the UK so my figures were GBP :)

There is never any guarantee that Nvidia will release a Ti card. The last couple were seen as reactions to AMD's good performance, with AMD not challenging Nvidia by the looks of it there might not be a Ti card this gen.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

There is never any guarantee that Nvidia will release a Ti card. The last couple were seen as reactions to AMD's good performance, with AMD not challenging Nvidia by the looks of it there might not be a Ti card this gen.

There usually is though (Especially with the planned Vega/Polaris cards coming out soon)

1 minute ago, TechMinerUK said:

So which card would be more suitable for the time being, to be honest I'm also looking to go Freesync/GSync if that makes any difference as for some reason we only have 4K IPS GSync panels and not 1440P

i know they are GBP but that is 900 usd. the card would cost around 550+ pounds in the UK (if you are lucky) and the block would be a minimal of 70 pounds. there comes some import, shipping and tax + so it would be quickly around 90 or 100 pounds for the EKWB variant. So you need more budget.

i know they are GBP but that is 900 usd. the card would cost around 550+ pounds in the UK (if you are lucky) and the block would be a minimal of 70 pounds. there comes some import, shipping and tax + so it would be quickly around 90 or 100 pounds for the EKWB variant. So you need more budget.

GTX 1080 costs £525 with waterblock costing £80 in the UK currently (Last checked prices at OCUK)

6 minutes ago, TechMinerUK said:

if i look at amazon.co.uk i see the EVGA 1080 founders Edition for 850 pounds. So your budget is not even close.

if i look at amazon.co.uk i see the EVGA 1080 founders Edition for 850 pounds. So your budget is not even close.

Those prices are way off, just check the link (here).

4 minutes ago, TechMinerUK said:

There usually is though (Especially with the planned Vega/Polaris cards coming out soon)

Actually there normally isn't a x80Ti card, it's only the last two gens that Nvidia has done it recently and apparently only after AMD had pushed Nvidia. Given what we have learned about Polaris targeting the low end I can't see Vega being spectacular. AMD really have lost me. :(

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Actually there normally isn't a x80Ti card, it's only the last two gens that Nvidia has done it recently and apparently only after AMD had pushed Nvidia. Given what we have learned about Polaris targeting the low end I can't see Vega being spectacular. AMD really have lost me. :(

I thought they were launching Vega as the new top tier card next year, must admit this is why I'm lost as I normally go AMD but there is nothing there for me at the moment and there has been little information released (As of yet anyway)

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Depends on resolution. You dont need a 1070 or 1080 for 1080p. 980 or 980 ti can do the trick and you can get em for 250-430 right now on ebay or other sites. 1070 for custom cooler for 370 will be the much better deal if you cant find a 980 or 980 ti for under 350 or 300 but hopefully you can.

The GTX 1070 will be cheaper than a top-tier, previous generation card and more powerful to boot.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

1 minute ago, Michael McAllister said:

The GTX 1070 will be cheaper than a top-tier, previous generation card and more powerful to boot.

But would it be more worth while just going full GTX 1080 for the time being :)

2 minutes ago, TechMinerUK said:

Those prices are way off, just check the link (here).

AH. that is where the price comes from. I would personally stay away from that brand. KFA2 uses cheap VRM's. that translates into, no overclocking capability and maybe even bad compatibility with full cover waterblocks.

I thought they were launching Vega as the new top tier card next year, must admit this is why I'm lost as I normally go AMD but there is nothing there for me at the moment and there has been little information released (As of yet anyway)

It will be AMD's new top tier, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily be able to compete with Nvidia's top tier. If it does it will be great, but I'm really not hopeful.

It will be AMD's new top tier, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily be able to compete with Nvidia's top tier. If it does it will be great, but I'm really not hopeful.

This is what I'm worried as their previous offerings have been a bit of a let down (Hence why I didn't upgrade last year)

AH. that is where the price comes from. I would personally stay away from that brand. KFA2 uses cheap VRM's. that translates into, no overclocking capability and maybe even bad compatibility with full cover waterblocks.

Still though if you look on the GPU section of the site you can see the max price is £650 ish

2 minutes ago, JPotze said:

its a reference model, it would be untouched.

But would it be more worth while just going full GTX 1080 for the time being :)

If he has a 1080p 144Hz monitor, the 1070 is perfect for that.  It's also great for 1440p.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

its a reference model, it would be untouched.

it would be untouched in the form factor and design.. the brands are free to choose hardware quality as far as i know.