Will i5 Ivy bridge CPU bottleneck GTX1080 ?

AlCarosse

My friend wants to upgrade to GTX1080, but he afraid that his i5 3570k will bottleneck it. 

So the question is - will it ?

He also have Z77 and 16GB of RAM, but refuse to overclock the CPU.

It'll be fine.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Nope. It'll work just fine.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

depends on the game. Games like arma 3 or other cpu-heavy games, you may see some bottlenecking there, but still not the point you would drop to below 60fps, just a few fps less

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

4 minutes ago, AlCarosse said:

My friend wants to upgrade to GTX1080, but he afraid that his i5 3570k will bottleneck it. 

So the question is - will it ?

He also have Z77 and 16GB of RAM, but refuse to overclock the CPU.

If you OC it will be fine. At stock it will bottleneck

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

15 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

If you OC it will be fine. At stock it will bottleneck

With a decent overclock, it should be enough for any game, and you'll almost never see a bottleneck.

At its stock frequency, the architecture may show its age in the newest, most CPU-intense titles.

19 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

depends on the game. Games like arma 3 or other cpu-heavy games, you may see some bottlenecking there, but still not the point you would drop to below 60fps, just a few fps less

You can play Arma 3 on ULTRA with GTX 1080 or Radeon HD 5870 1GB and you will get the same FPS in 120 player server... that game is CPU and SSD heavy.. yes it needs SSD to run smoothly because HDD read speeds cant keep up in this game as the assets are frequently loaded from there resulting in stuttering.

To OP:

If he plays on 1080p he will be bottlenecked a little bit.. but that doesent matter because in most games he will easily achieve more than 120FPS.

At 1440p the CPU bottleneck will be quite a bit lower and at 4k it will be gone.

Thanks for answers guys. Fun fact, a lot of you brought ARMA 3 , and he is actually spends 70% of his gaming in ARMA3.