Overclocking my CPU set graphics clock down?!

Today I finally got around and overclocked my CPU, it's a i7-4770k. I was really surprised by the result! I managed to push my cpu with minimal tweaking up to 4.9ghz! I ran aida64 for almost 2 hours and it seems to be just fine. I did also do the cinebench before and after to see the results. Before OC i got 8.6 in score and after OC i got 10.77... After that i ran unigine, both valley and heaven and i were surprised... My frames had decreased! I went down by 5 frames, from 100 to 95. After that i did the 3dmark firestrike and my score improved. The physics score had a big increase, but graphics scores were worse than they were before.

But then i noticed that my in my before test my grapicscard's core clocks was much lower. from 1254 down to 718! Why? I don't think i have manually turned it down... 

So my real question is how can i turn it back up?

link to firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/907216/fs/712754

Specs:

Asus maximus VI extreme

i7-4770k OC'd 4.9

Kingston HyperX beast 8gb 2400mhz

Zotac gtx 770 amp 2-way SLI

Kingston HyperX 240gb SSD

Nzxt kraken x60 with noctua highp fans

XFX proseries gold certified 1250w psu

Win7 ultimate

Asus maximus VI extreme         i7-4770k @4.9ghz       Zotac gtx 770 amp editon @1260/7300 2-way SLI         Kingston HyperX Beast 8gb 2400mhz          Kingston HyperX 240gb SSD           2tb hdd               Nzxt Kraken x60 with noctua high pressure fans (push)        Nzxt phantom 820         XFX proseries black edition 1250w gold plus psu         And a shit load of red led fans :D   

Windows 7 ultimate

is could be that the GPU isnt getting enough power. or that your CPU is unstable and not able to push as hard as it should. Change your overclock to a lesser clock speed and try that.

hahaha read it as

minimal twerking  up to 4.9ghz!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Change your overclock to a lesser clock speed and try that.

yes, or step up the voltage a bit.

It can't be my PSU... It's the xfx proseries gold certified 1250w psu ;)

But i'll try clocking it down a bit. The cpu is at 1.275v

Asus maximus VI extreme         i7-4770k @4.9ghz       Zotac gtx 770 amp editon @1260/7300 2-way SLI         Kingston HyperX Beast 8gb 2400mhz          Kingston HyperX 240gb SSD           2tb hdd               Nzxt Kraken x60 with noctua high pressure fans (push)        Nzxt phantom 820         XFX proseries black edition 1250w gold plus psu         And a shit load of red led fans :D   

Windows 7 ultimate

I tried clocking it down, but it didn't change a thing... But i found out that my older test before oc also were clocked down to 718.. SO i don't think it has anything to do with OCing my cpu...

Windows 7 ultimate

Try re-applying your GPU overclock. Change some setting(say your GPU clock) by one increase and apply the settings. If it's still like that, attempt to re-install the drivers. Fully remove them and fully install.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Try re-applying your GPU overclock. Change some setting(say your GPU clock) by one increase and apply the settings. If it's still like that, attempt to re-install the drivers. Fully remove them and fully install.

I'll try it as soon as possible. Although the GPU's are oc'd from manufacturer.  

Windows 7 ultimate

Not to be taken as offence but I smell bullshit at that 4.9Ghz @ 1.275v.. Did you even stress test that? if so, for how long?

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Stated in his original post.. Do you even read?

If so, how long?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not to be taken as offence but I smell bullshit at that 4.9Ghz @ 1.275v.. Did you even stress test that? if so, for how long?

As I said... I stress tested it for almost 2 hour using aida64...

Windows 7 ultimate

3DMark constantly shows the wrong GPU core and memory clocks for me. 

That frequency and voltage aren't impossible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I had kinda the same problem whit my GTX285.
It was clocked at an unstable overclock, but only in certain applications. The driver would crash but it didn't always notice me about it.
The card would keep on running the program but it downclocked it to 400mhz (from a 698mhz OC, it is a terrible overclocker :c )
Maybe this is what's happening with your card, try lowering the OC a bit, and test a lot of benchmarks/games.
Also restart your pc first, just in case it is your driver it won't unlock your gpu clock until you reboot.

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

That frequency and voltage aren't impossible.

Never said it was impossible, just said I think that's bs. If he has stress tested it for two hours then hey.. who am I to judge?

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

It can't be my PSU... It's the xfx proseries gold certified 1250w psu ;)

Because race car!

Like venom said it's not impossible and perhaps you out of the thousands of people who can't O.C. their 4770k past 4.2-4.5 Ghz stable, are the lucky one.  There are too many variables still left at play here with your set up though for anything to be considered guaranteed or stable.  A viably stable and consistant OC is pushed through stress testing from 8 to 24 hours, some say 8 just to be on the safe side.  Usually the utility for this is either Prime95 or Intel Burn test, both of which can give you slightly diff measures of confidence as some folks have passed ITB with flying colors and crashed in P95 and vice versa.  Even still later they find that other applications still yield them a wonderful system crash, as no OC is 100% guaranteed.

Your power supply, sorry to poke at you above, but the statement kinda stood out as to say "The label says gold and certified, and it's over 1k Watts so its a BAMF."  Have you tested your voltages under load perhaps with a multimeter?  None of this is meant to be offensive but based on your posts in this thread it comes off as incredibly naive and inexperienced, and to make it clear, we are all here to help with cooperation of course.

Vid card, this is another thing that can never be guaranteed.  Lets say your OC runs like a mad man with games like Crysis, Metro, BL2..etc etc and then you boot up BF3 and you notice your Clk speed tanks, and your mem bus floors itself.  Just another example of diff applications poll diff settings in diff ways, aside from that there is a multitude of variables in your system right now and in order to isolate each individual slighted problem you need to start with one thing at a time.  Not only once, but patiently testing it for stability and overall system endurance.  

I'm still running an i5 2500k and IMHO, I'm still running this CPU b/c it's a beast and does exactly what I need it to right now.  I've pushed it up to only 4.8Ghz with a Corsair AIO and had the thought to go higher but ofcourse I didn't have dedicated liquid cooling yet.  Now with that said, the baby steps with voltage and clock speed I took from 4.4Ghz up were tedious and fairly painstaking but efficiently worth it once I decided that a 4.5Gghz OC is all I needed and I was able to run that 24/7 at 1.2465V.  That voltage was also read at the test points through my RMS meter, which is a tip for you, it gives you an idea of how accurate your bios read is versus the actual output from your pwr supply.

With all that useless crap said up above as I'm sure that's how it's taken, the forum needs a bit more info for alot of things pertaining to the post you've made.  For some, I'd say they might even say Pics or 4.9 didn't happen ;)

Because race car!

Like venom said it's not impossible and perhaps you out of the thousands of people who can't O.C. their 4770k past 4.2-4.5 Ghz stable, are the lucky one.  There are too many variables still left at play here with your set up though for anything to be considered guaranteed or stable.  A viably stable and consistant OC is pushed through stress testing from 8 to 24 hours, some say 8 just to be on the safe side.  Usually the utility for this is either Prime95 or Intel Burn test, both of which can give you slightly diff measures of confidence as some folks have passed ITB with flying colors and crashed in P95 and vice versa.  Even still later they find that other applications still yield them a wonderful system crash, as no OC is 100% guaranteed.

Your power supply, sorry to poke at you above, but the statement kinda stood out as to say "The label says gold and certified, and it's over 1k Watts so its a BAMF."  Have you tested your voltages under load perhaps with a multimeter?  None of this is meant to be offensive but based on your posts in this thread it comes off as incredibly naive and inexperienced, and to make it clear, we are all here to help with cooperation of course.

Vid card, this is another thing that can never be guaranteed.  Lets say your OC runs like a mad man with games like Crysis, Metro, BL2..etc etc and then you boot up BF3 and you notice your Clk speed tanks, and your mem bus floors itself.  Just another example of diff applications poll diff settings in diff ways, aside from that there is a multitude of variables in your system right now and in order to isolate each individual slighted problem you need to start with one thing at a time.  Not only once, but patiently testing it for stability and overall system endurance.  

I'm still running an i5 2500k and IMHO, I'm still running this CPU b/c it's a beast and does exactly what I need it to right now.  I've pushed it up to only 4.8Ghz with a Corsair AIO and had the thought to go higher but ofcourse I didn't have dedicated liquid cooling yet.  Now with that said, the baby steps with voltage and clock speed I took from 4.4Ghz up were tedious and fairly painstaking but efficiently worth it once I decided that a 4.5Gghz OC is all I needed and I was able to run that 24/7 at 1.2465V.  That voltage was also read at the test points through my RMS meter, which is a tip for you, it gives you an idea of how accurate your bios read is versus the actual output from your pwr supply.

With all that useless crap said up above as I'm sure that's how it's taken, the forum needs a bit more info for alot of things pertaining to the post you've made.  For some, I'd say they might even say Pics or 4.9 didn't happen ;)

You are completely right! I am a noob! That's why i'm here asking for advice xD And I know that OC's are unstable expesally when they're this high, i'll clock it down to 4.5 or even back to stock. I just tough it would be stupid not to test my PC to its limits regarding it's such a high end pc :) But i figured out a solution! I just clocked my speeds slightly higher. Just by 10 (gpu clock that is) and know i'm getting better results!

And i would upload pics, It's just that i can't figure out how to do it in a good way xD It's not just ctrl+c,v in this forum xD

Windows 7 ultimate