Drive Letters complete, help urgent

Tech Lover

hi. as title says. when i go to manage via computer, to make a new drive, from my unalocated storage, it says to name the new drive Z which i really dont want to . because what happens is when i connect a USB thumb drive it is named Z but when i name a hard drive partition Z my PC does not show the thumb drive. 

i have 25 partitions now on my 3 hard drives.. honestly this is the reason i m not installing my other hard disks to my pc. pls some one help me and tell me is there any solution in easy way for me to understand as im not an expert :)

and pls if u see this thread and know what to do, pls reply here ASAP as i really need to make that new partition soon. i have 11 of my partitions literally full, like 100% full!

thanks in advance.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

why are you making the partitions so small?

2 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

i have 25 partitions now on my 3 hard drives.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

why not one partition per drive?

With 25 partitions and 26 letters in the alphabet, Z makes the next and only logical choice for a 26th. 
Then again can you make an A or B drive? You have to leave a drive open for it.
The only thing you can do is free up some partitions. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

1 minute ago, StainlessSR said:

why are you making the partitions so small?

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

why not one partition per drive?

i have different stuff on different drives. one for movies, then there are partitions for movies from golden era (very old nice movies), movies from 90s, 2000s, 2010s etc, then others have music , some have just games, 1 hard drive just for studies and stuff related to that. and i also am learning movie editing (from internet) so one for that, one full drive for shadow play, partitions for different games :D

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

3 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

With 25 partitions and 26 letters in the alphabet, Z makes the next and only logical choice for a 26th. 

i have tried that and then USB thumb drives are not shown.

pls guys its serious i need help does this mean i can make only 26 partitions???

1 minute ago, Tech Lover said:

pls guys its serious i need help does this mean i can make only 26 partitions???

Yes, using folders might be a better idea...

"The Rusher" - Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro WiFi AC CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Nepton 240m RAM: Gskill TridentX 16gb 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb // WD Blue 1tb PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 650w Case: Coolermaster CM 690 III Window + NZXT Blue LED's

3 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

i have different stuff on different drives. one for movies, then there are partitions for movies from golden era (very old nice movies), movies from 90s, 2000s, 2010s etc, then others have music , some have just games.

Why don't you just assign one letter to all movies and folder them out? 

You will have to free up some mappings. By using up the last letter drive, the thumb drive will not be able to be recognized. 

11 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

hi. as title says. when i go to manage via computer, to make a new drive, from my unalocated storage, it says to name the new drive Z which i really dont want to . because what happens is when i connect a USB thumb drive it is named Z but when i name a hard drive partition Z my PC does not show the thumb drive. 

i have 25 partitions now on my 3 hard drives.. honestly this is the reason i m not installing my other hard disks to my pc. pls some one help me and tell me is there any solution in easy way for me to understand as im not an expert :)

and pls if u see this thread and know what to do, pls reply here ASAP as i really need to make that new partition soon. i have 11 of my partitions literally full, like 100% full!

thanks in advance.

In windows you are limited to 26 drives letters. You can mount more drives by mounting them to a folder instead of a letter so C;/movies would be a seprate partition than C;/

1 minute ago, DioOmicida said:

You will have to free up some mappings. By using up the last letter drive, the thumb drive will not be able to be recognized. 

"Drive total is 24, C: - Z:, however, if you have removable drives or attach network drives, you must leave drive letters for them to use."
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-many-partitions-i-can-have

8 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

i have different stuff on different drives. one for movies, then there are partitions for movies from golden era (very old nice movies), movies from 90s, 2000s, 2010s etc, then others have music , some have just games, 1 hard drive just for studies and stuff related to that. and i also am learning movie editing (from internet) so one for that, one full drive for shadow play, partitions for different games :D

thats what you have folders for tho...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

what the heck are you doing with 24 partitions

you need to learn how to properly organize your stuff...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you should have used folders to classify the stuff, not drive letters.

You are now stuck and have to redo your storage to utilize folders instead of partitions.

yes it does.

You can try resizing the partitions. but honestly it would be best to change over to a folder system instead of a drive letter system.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

In windows you are limited to 26 drives letters. You can mount more drives by mounting them to a folder instead of a letter so C;/movies would be a seprate partition than C;/

thats really stupid and shitty (i didnt know that and now that i do, its so shitty thing)

so how exactly can i do that what u said? do u mean to say that say i have a hard drive and a partition to that say, named C, i can attach a new hard drive to PC and make partition to it as C;/? am i getting it right? can u tell how to do that?

1 minute ago, Tech Lover said:

thats really stupid and shitty (i didnt know that and now that i do, its so shitty thing)

so how exactly can i do that what u said? do u mean to say that say i have a hard drive and a partition to that say, named C, i can attach a new hard drive to PC and make partition to it as C;/? am i getting it right? can u tell how to do that?

When you mount a drive you can mount it to a folder instead a drive letter

Click on your your C drive which will open up a folder showing all your C drive folders.
Right click > New > Folder And rename folder to "Movies"
Move all your movies into that folder.
Delete all your movie partitions.

4 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Click on your your C drive which will open up a folder showing all your C drive folders.

and then make subfolders for more sorting and keep making more folders and properly sort your stuff man!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Here is a how to on mounting drives to folders.

While this would allow you to keep making more and more partitions it is not the ideal way to go about file storage

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

and then make subfolders for more sorting and keep making more folders and properly sort your stuff man!

inception-1920x1080-wallpaper-829789.jpg

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

When you mount a drive you can mount it to a folder instead a drive letter

4 minutes ago, StainlessSR said:

Here is a how to on mounting drives to folders.

While this would allow you to keep making more and more partitions it is not the ideal way to go about file storage

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

8 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Thanks to all of u for such a quick reply. really appreciate it.

but really, F microsoft or who ever is doing this 26 only drives shit. really its so stupid and annoying. they can make it go on like after one finishes with A to Z drives they should be able to go to like AA, AB, AC, AD and so on.... why this limit, when these hard drives are meant to be used easily. these are portable. its cheap storage. i know online thing is great, but not all the world is USA or EUROPE where u can get Google Fiber or Linus's fast internet. 

any how, i have tried not naming the new partition but it does not show in my computer although it shows in the disk management window. 

i have tried mounting it to another partition of same hard drive. it shows as a shortcut and in the properties of it, it shows as Mounted Volume. 

now my question is, is it ok and safe to use like this mounted volume? like GOD forbid, if for any reason the partition that my current mounted volume is, is being formated or deleted will it also delete data on my mounted volume? 

also same question for volume mounted on ANOTHER DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE ?

Thanks to all of u for such a quick reply. really appreciate it.

but really, F microsoft or who ever is doing this 26 only drives shit. really its so stupid and annoying. they can make it go on like after one finishes with A to Z drives they should be able to go to like AA, AB, AC, AD and so on.... why this limit, when these hard drives are meant to be used easily. these are portable. its cheap storage. i know online thing is great, but not all the world is USA or EUROPE where u can get Google Fiber or Linus's fast internet. 

any how, i have tried not naming the new partition but it does not show in my computer although it shows in the disk management window. 

i have tried mounting it to another partition of same hard drive. it shows as a shortcut and in the properties of it, it shows as Mounted Volume. 

now my question is, is it ok and safe to use like this mounted volume? like GOD forbid, if for any reason the partition that my current mounted volume is, is being formated or deleted will it also delete data on my mounted volume? 

im still not sure why your not making folders and just making all the partions into one or however many HDDs you have tbh. its way easier and solves your problem here. there is a limit because people shouldent be doing what your doing to be honest

Builds:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

they can make it go on like after one finishes with A to Z drives they should be able to go to like AA, AB, AC, AD and so on.... why this limit,

Because 99% of people just make folders, not partitions. 
The only way you'd be using that many partitions would be to have that many drives.
At most on a drive Ive used two partitions to dual boot but that was for schooling.

6 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

I've never done this so I can't comment. Id assume formatting the main drive would just remove the mapping.
It wouldn't touch the other drive and you'd just have the remap it. Don't quote me on that, though. 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im still not sure why your not making folders and just making all the partions into one or however many HDDs you have tbh. its way easier and solves your problem here. there is a limit because people shouldent be doing what your doing to be honest

i have been doing this for the past 7 years. i have all my storage in one place where i know where it is. 

now that i know of this crappy stupid 26 drive limit, i will arrange stuff again. but u know it takes a lot of time to transfer stuff from Green to Green . Black still ok though :D

i have been doing this for the past 7 years. i have all my storage in one place where i know where it is. 

now that i know of this crappy stupid 26 drive limit, i will arrange stuff again. but u know it takes a lot of time to transfer stuff from Green to Green . Black still ok though :D

just. make. folders. already xD well have fun sorting your stuff lol

Builds:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

microsoft or who ever is doing this 26 only drives

ok there is a limit because back when computers were young and hard drives were measured in mb not TB the first hard disk partition was designed. The designers figured that since the space on the hard drive was expensive they had to limit the amount of it that was used to keep information about the file structure that was stored on the hard drive. Thus the "Master Boot Record" was born. Having a size of 512bytes the amount of information it could store was limited: 4 primary partitions or later 3 primary and 1 extended(which used files to store the additional information of the additional partitions made within the extended partition). Along came dos and then Windows both of which used mbr and as such the programers figured there was no need to use more than the 26 letters of the alphabet. Along came the  GUID partition table and the total number of partitions possible jumped (128 I think) but we are still stuck with the 26 available drive letters.

Blames Microsoft for PEBKAC...9_9

Win95 wants their file system back.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list