Corsair AX860i disappointment

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
2 minutes ago, Biecher said:

it's not coil whine, psu is dead quiet when the fan is not spinning.

So you think returning it and picking a Be Quiet Dark Power would be the best choice?

It's a much worse unit when compared to the AX but it's not bad. What about a Corsair RMx/RMi?

I bought a Corsair AX860i power supply two days ago and expected it to be a top of the line product.

Sadly, I'm quite disappointed by the fan noise. Whats the point in having several noctua fans, when the psu fan is extremely noisy?!

Should I return it? Are there alternatives, that are more quiet?

I don't think that the fan is faulty, since the other corsair fans, that came with the case are shitty as well.

How much power are you drawing? 

I dont think the fan on my AX760i has ever spun up. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have to say, I'm really sensitive when it comes to fan noise. :D

8 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

How much power are you drawing? 

I dont think the fan on my AX760i has ever spun up. 

roughly 400W when I tested it. the fan run at 40%

3 minutes ago, Biecher said:

It really shouldn't be loud. I'd contact Corsair for an RMA. 

I havent really played with Corsair link much, is there a way to change the fan curve on the PSU?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It really shouldn't be loud. I'd contact Corsair for an RMA. 

I havent really played with Corsair link much, is there a way to change the fan curve on the PSU?

no, but 40% is the lowest setting anyway 

Can anybody compare the Corsair Axi series to the be quied dark power PSUs?

1 hour ago, Biecher said:

Can anybody compare the Corsair Axi series to the be quied dark power PSUs?

The be Quiet! is going to be quieter regardless sooo....

Nonetheless, the AXi shouldn't make any noise unless under fairly intense load so you may have a faulty unit or one with coil whine (very, very common on the AXi and AX-series).

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The be Quiet! is going to be quieter regardless sooo....

Nonetheless, the AXi shouldn't make any noise unless under fairly intense load so you may have a faulty unit or one with coil whine (very, very common on the AXi and AX-series).

So you think returning it and picking a Be Quiet Dark Power would be the best choice?

2 minutes ago, Biecher said:

It's a much worse unit when compared to the AX but it's not bad. What about a Corsair RMx/RMi?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

are you sure the fan is set to passive mode?

have you considered Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

13 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'm surprised by your statement that the be quiet psus are worse, I read quite good reviews.

I expected the Axi to be the best psu corsair has to offer, that why I bought it. I'm not sure if switching to a cheaper model will solve the problem. It's basically the shitty fan that bugs me.

17 minutes ago, DXMember said:

It is. Like I said, its dead quiet at low power.

I did not, but I will look into it, thanks. 

1 minute ago, Biecher said:

I'm surprised by your statement that the be quiet psus are worse, I read quite good reviews.

I expected the Axi to be the best psu corsair has to offer, that why I bought it. I'm not sure if switching to a cheaper model will solve the problem. It's basically the shitty fan that bugs me.

It is. Like I said, its dead quiet at low power.

I did not, but I will look into it, thanks. 

The AXi, performance-wise and quality-wise is one of the best PSUs in existence so of course the be Quiet! will be worse. But the be Quiet or RMx/RMi will both be great for you as they're not bad units in any way shape or form.

3 hours ago, DXMember said:

I looked into the seasonic passive cooled units. It seems like a lot of people have problems with coil whine and switching noise.

I also read, that the ax860i has a really cheap fan with a bad ball bearing. That is exactly what I'm hearing and what makes me uncomfortable with this psu.

Here's a video from a total different corsair psu, but you can clearly hear the fan ball bearing rattling sound.

5 hours ago, Biecher said:

I bought a Corsair AX860i power supply two days ago and expected it to be a top of the line product.

Sadly, I'm quite disappointed by the fan noise. Whats the point in having several noctua fans, when the psu fan is extremely noisy?!

Should I return it? Are there alternatives, that are more quiet?

I don't think that the fan is faulty, since the other corsair fans, that came with the case are shitty as well.

While the AXi is indeed an excellent PSU, the Yateloon 2BB fan that's in it is indeed its shortcoming. You could saved a bit of your money to get the RMi series instead, as it uses a higher quality and quieter FDB fan. It also has most of the benefit of Corsair Link as well (you can't adjust the OCP on the RMi like you can with the AXi).

4 minutes ago, quan289 said:

While the AXi is indeed an excellent PSU, the Yateloon 2BB fan that's in it is indeed it shortcoming. You could saved a bit of your money to get the RMi series instead, as it uses a higher quality and quieter FDB fan. It also has most of the benefit of Corsair Link as well (you can't adjust the OCP on the RMi like you can with the AXi).

Okay, thank you for that recommendation. I don't really care about the price too much, as long as it is in a reasonable frame.

After using corsair link for about 2 days, I realised I don't really need it.

I was looking at the enermax 550W digifanless as well, has somebody experience with this model?

But the power rating could be a bit low for a SLI setup that I don't actually have but maybe will have in the future (probably not :D )

Or I could change the fan in the ax860i, but this would surely void the warranty.

2 hours ago, Biecher said:

Okay, thank you for that recommendation. I don't really care about the price too much, as long as it is in a reasonable frame.

After using corsair link for about 2 days, I realised I don't really need it.

I was looking at the enermax 550W digifanless as well, has somebody experience with this model?

But the power rating could be a bit low for a SLI setup that I don't actually have but maybe will have in the future (probably not :D )

Or I could change the fan in the ax860i, but this would surely void the warranty.

There's also the RMx which is basically the same platform as the RMi, but without the Corsair Link, single rail (not able to switch between multi and single rail), no fan test switch, and uses a rifle bearing fan (it's not as good as the FDB in the RMi but it isn't as subject to bearing noises like 2BB fans).

I, personally, wouldn't void the 10 year warranty just to change the fan.

As for the Enermax Digifanless. It's a good PSU as displayed in this review. However, while you did say you don't care about the price, spending more than $200 USD on it is too much, TBH. That's ~$100 more than the Seasonic SS-520FL2. The Corsair RM550x is an excellent unit for under $100 USD that's very quiet: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

I run my AX760 and HX850iat or near max load 24/7 and they make almost no noise. 

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

12 hours ago, Biecher said:

I have to say, I'm really sensitive when it comes to fan noise. :D

If you watch the OC3D video testing the RM750i and RM1000i, the fan only starts spinning when you're above 80% load and doesn't spin below that. At 400w on an 860w unit your fan should be off. Check in Corsair's Link software that the fan curve for the PSU isn't acting weird.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I think I'll give corsair another chance and try the RMi series.

Are the 750W and 850W identical, I'm trying to decide which one I should get.

In hybrid mode the fan should stay off under 300W for the 750W and 340W for the 850W.

But I'm sure it depends on the temperature and not on load.

just swapped the ax860i with the rm850i. Dead quiet. Saved 70€. Problem solved. 

Thank you guys, I appreciate.