Bottom VS Top PSU

RobertVanGilder

Which one do you like more? Which one do you think looks better? The top mount power supply or the bottom mount power supply? Please don't talk about performance because we all know that the difference is so small that no one really cares. (If you do that's your business). And if you have a water cooled CPU then there is absolutely no difference between bottom and top..

If the case has sufficient cable routing at the top of the case, then i don't see any reason why having it mounted at the top is any worse. I personally think bottom mounted looks better, but that's just me. I also feel a bit more secure have the PSU bottom mounted as all the weight is sat on the case bottom, not being held in by a weaker bracket and screws.

If the case has sufficient cable routing at the top of the case, then i don't see any reason why having it mounted at the top is any worse. I personally think bottom mounted looks better, but that's just me. I also feel a bit more secure have the PSU bottom mounted as all the weight is sat on the case bottom, not being held in by a weaker bracket and screws.
Damnit. Now I'm questioning the quality of the case mount screws and if I'm going to wake up tomorrow to find the PSU has migrated to the bottom of the case taking the GPU with it.. Although its only a 9600 so it's no big loss..

I personally prefer a bottom mounted PSU. My reasoning is that it is much easier to route and hide away any cables. It also free's up so that the case can have a bigger top exhaust then you otherwise could have had.

Where as with top mounted PSU's the cables sometimes just stick out over the motherboard if you're unable to tuck them behind the motherboard tray or in the drive bay. I just see that bottom mounted PSU's have a greater versatility.

Most, if not all cases that have them top mounted then the fan have to face down and act as a second exhaust fan. Bottom mount, then you have more flexibility to chose most of the time. Do I want to draw in air from under the case or have the fan facing up, drawing in air from inside the case.

But as I said, I personally favors bottom mounted ones for cable management. Though, I can probably think of more reasons.

I'm going to go with bottom mounted because that's just the way things have been mostly for me. It's also sort of forced upon you with 80% of mid level cases having bottom mounts.

Another thing that just sprung to mind is with the lighter weight cases with very little in them, top mounted PSU's can make them slightly easier to tip over if they are knocked slightly off balance by say a baby or crazy pet.

I can see a PSU falling down from stripped threads. However, most cases have it so that the structure support some of the weight of the PSU.

Bottom mounted is the best solution, keeps the center of gravity low and stops it been top heavy, gives you more room for fans and rads at the top of the case as hot air rises.

got to love Asus components

going with bottom mounted aswell reasoning can be found in most of the comments above.. and my old case had really shitty airflow with the top mounted psu being kinda in the way .. and sucking in dust from within the case in this case has bottom mounted psu sucking air from the bottom with a dust filter covering it so yea .. it's just less in the way and more practical .. atleast i think so

I would go bottom mounted because if I were doing cable management I wouldn't want to see wires from the top going into the parts. I wouldn't really notice it much if it was on the bottom.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I like bottom mounted PSU's more because usually there are more cable routing holes. All of the top mounted PSU cases don't have many routing holes. Power supply's are pretty heavy these days and its best to be bottom mounted.

Yeah I prefer bottom mounted because of gravity. If the screws fail, guess where the PSU is going to go? I can just imagine my PSU falling and breaking and bending my GPU as it comes falling down.

Yeah I prefer bottom mounted because of gravity. If the screws fail, guess where the PSU is going to go? I can just imagine my PSU falling and breaking and bending my GPU as it comes falling down.
I would be more worried about it collecting the heatsink and destroying the board assembly. :/

OH GOD! WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?! Now my computer is destroyed! I completely forgot about my 212+!

Damn you and your green name!

Bottom mounted is better in my opinion. Allows for top exhaust and another place to mount a radiator if needed. I don't know how much air a bottom mounted radiator would get if the case was on carpet.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I have never seen a PSU on top fall in the case. Usually cases have support bar. That is why with most top PSU case design, you have to put the PSU first, before you can install the motherboard. PSU was initially put above to reduce cable (as GPU's didn't need additional power, nor did sound card, and and motherboard didn't need anything beside the good old 20pin connector). Also, as the PSU had a fan, it would assist in taking the warm air of the CPU and lead it out.

This is irrelevant today, because, well due that sound card, motherboard and graphic card now all seam to need additonal power, it is easier to root cables if the PSU is at the bottom, also CPU and PSUs are much more efficient and cooler operating than before, PLUS fans are more efficient as well, it is no longer any reason to put the PSU on top.

Actualy, bottom mounted power supply is better because it can get fresh and cool air from the outside of the case, if you mount the PSU on the top, it just get the hot air from your gpu and cpu.... And PSU work best in a cool ambient temparature...

Actualy, bottom mounted power supply is better because it can get fresh and cool air from the outside of the case, if you mount the PSU on the top, it just get the hot air from your gpu and cpu.... And PSU work best in a cool ambient temparature...
lzzuddin, how could you of forgotten about the TJ08B-E from SilverStone?

I just wish there were more flexible form factors and that someone other than silverstone made an SFX power-supply with a short cabling kit, as all the good(relative to me)itx cases have neither top nor bottom :D