Is my Corsair CX600 W enough for...

MentalBlank

Hi, i'm new to this Forums so please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask for help.

So i'm getting my new PC this week, i upgraded from FX-8320 and GTX 960 combo to Intel i5 6600k and GTX 1070 (1070 is not out yet but i will use my GTX 960 until it comes out)
When i ordered the components parts i didn't buy a PSU because i already had new one (sealed) and didn't feel to burn the money. So here is my PSU: Corsair CX600M, now i know this is a low tier PSU but i ordered this few months ago, i though i may need it because my old 430W PSU was dying but then i never needed it. I never overclocked before and now i'm planning to use my Asus z170-a motherboard software: Asus 5 way optimization to overclock my CPU to 4.3 or 4.4 Ghz but not higher since i don't want to kill my new CPU.

Here is my question, will my PSU able to handle let's say 4.4Ghz Intel Core i5 6600k and GTX 1070 with out any issues?

Edit: I'm going to get Corsair RM750x tomorrow, thank you al for the tips and support i really appreciate it.

Edited by MentalBlank

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

600 should be enough, but eveyone says the CX are the worst

I have no problem if it dies in short amount of time but will it damage my other components?

6 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

I have no problem if it dies in short amount of time but will it damage my other components?

eh i know people who use it and its fine

The only thing that im wondering is how your gonna get a 1070 this week?

And btw I know many people that use CX PSU:s and have never had a problem with them.

1 minute ago, ComeT said:

The only thing that im wondering is how your gonna get a 1070 this week?

And btw I know many people that use CX PSU:s and have never had a problem with them.

I will be using my GTX 960 until 1070 comes out next month.

1 minute ago, MentalBlank said:

I will be using my GTX 960 until 1070 comes out next month.

Yeah, I only thought that I've had missed that Nvidia had changed the launch date or someting. :D

I would not use a CX power supply in that system. Most of the line has one simple, fatal flaw: they're not rated to work above 30C. Above 30C, it starts to throttle down, and with an 8320 in there, it will be spending time above 30C. Your 400W unit quickly becomes a unit incapable of handling the routine power demands of your system at moderate load.

That's not to say the CX is a terrible PSU. When applied to the proper use cases (G3258 overclock, office workstation, etc.), it's a perfectly good, if somewhat poorly built, PSU for the job. In a PC with an AMD toaster oven at the center? No way, bad idea. Go for the RMi equivalent, just about anything by Seasonic/XFX or most anything by EVGA.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

29 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I would not use a CX power supply in that system. Most of the line has one simple, fatal flaw: they're not rated to work above 30C. Above 30C, it starts to throttle down, and with an 8320 in there, it will be spending time above 30C. Your 400W unit quickly becomes a unit incapable of handling the routine power demands of your system at moderate load.

That's not to say the CX is a terrible PSU. When applied to the proper use cases (G3258 overclock, office workstation, etc.), it's a perfectly good, if somewhat poorly built, PSU for the job. In a PC with an AMD toaster oven at the center? No way, bad idea. Go for the RMi equivalent, just about anything by Seasonic/XFX or most anything by EVGA.

Yah, i'm getting Corsair RM750x 750W tomorrow. I was thinking Evga supernova g2 but i didn't feel good when i saw it.

3 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

Yah, i'm getting Corsair RM750x 750W tomorrow. I was thinking Evga supernova g2 but i didn't feel good when i saw it.

The G2 is a very solid PSU. You're fine with either one, imo.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The G2 is a very solid PSU. You're fine with either one, imo.

Yah but it's just my taste :) I care alot more of the look than performance.

7 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

I care alot more of the look than performance.

reliability before looks imo, rather be safe than sorry but rmx or g2 is much better than cx btw enjoy your new rig :)

It'd be okay without the OC, but even then you're not really stressing the PSU. As long as ambient temps are fine (and you'd still be well within the safe zone) and you're not doing major OCing (I'd just tone the OC back to 3.8 for now) you'll be completely fine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

the helll??
how are you getting the 1070 this week?

can you lend me your time machine - I have important stuff to do in the future

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the helll??
how are you getting the 1070 this week?

can you lend me your time machine - I have important stuff to do in the future

I forgot to mention that i will be using my GTX 960 until they release 1070, my bad.

Just now, MentalBlank said:

I forgot to mention that i will be using my GTX 960 until they release 1070, my bad.

you see... now that makes more sense to me now

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I think you'll get by.  The power consumption won't be a lot higher going to the 1070, probably about the same.  So if your current setup is working, so should that one.  But as everyone else is saying, CX units are iffy in reliability.  

5 hours ago, MentalBlank said:

Edit: I'm going to get Corsair RM750x tomorrow, thank you al for the tips and support i really appreciate it.

You don't need a 750W PSU btw. The 550W is plenty.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You don't need a 750W PSU btw. The 550W is plenty.

Yah but it's like 13$ more expensive...

1 minute ago, MentalBlank said:

Yah but it's like 13$ more expensive...

Could save you $13 then? Unless you plan to throw another card in there eventually it's pointless, and even then the 650W version will be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Could save you $13 then? Unless you plan to throw another card in there eventually it's pointless, and even then the 650W version will be fine.

Yah i was planning for SLI in the future but maybe, or higher tier GPU. Who knows what AMD going to release after 1000 series.

5 hours ago, MentalBlank said:

Hi, i'm new to this Forums so please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask for help.

So i'm getting my new PC this week, i upgraded from FX-8320 and GTX 960 combo to Intel i5 6600k and GTX 1070 (1070 is not out yet but i will use my GTX 960 until it comes out)
When i ordered the components parts i didn't buy a PSU because i already had new one (sealed) and didn't feel to burn the money. So here is my PSU: Corsair CX600M, now i know this is a low tier PSU but i ordered this few months ago, i though i may need it because my old 430W PSU was dying but then i never needed it. I never overclocked before and now i'm planning to use my Asus z170-a motherboard software: Asus 5 way optimization to overclock my CPU to 4.3 or 4.4 Ghz but not higher since i don't want to kill my new CPU.

Here is my question, will my PSU able to handle let's say 4.4Ghz Intel Core i5 6600k and GTX 1070 with out any issues?

CX have very bad components and are not designed to operate at a room temperature of more then 30C.
I would strongly reccomend to upgrade to a better PSU.
If it gets very hot were you live, then you MUST change PSU.

reccomended PSUs:
Corsair RMx
Corsair AX
EVGA G2
Seasonic (any)
Superflower (any)
Fractal Design (any)

7 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Going above the temperature rating doesn't really mean anything in terms of power. It can play a role in voltage regulation or possible components getting too hot, but it has not to do with power demands. http://psu.guru/articles/Derating.html