Is there such thing as a 2 inch thick fan, and should their be?

Go to solution Solved by ThomasD,

Yes, thicker fans would not only move more air, with proper design they could have much higher static pressure ratings (IIRC this is a matter of blade surface area and blade geometry.)  But they would also consume a lot more power. Air may not seem like much, but it  does have mass and causing it to move requires work.  The more you move the more work gets done.  The more work getting done the more electricity consumed.

But in some applications they would make good sense - thick radiators in custom loops - but you are going to need plenty of space.

So I was wondering, if you have a lot of space in your case, and you want to have the most amount of airflow you can without having a noisy build. Why not have a fan that is 2x the thickness of a regular fan running at a lower rpm, while providing better airflow. of course it would take up more space but, if you have the space, would you like a fan like that? Or is there already fans like that, because I personally can't find any results no matter how much I look. 

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

Good question. I'm not sure. Perhaps motherboards can't supply enough power to operate a motor that can move that much air? Idk, just shots in the dark.

Yes, such fans exist, but they're most often pretty old and aren't even sold anymore.
I guess people found out that 25mm is just the right thickness and that it wouldn't make much sense to go any thicker than that on fans that are 140mm wide or smaller.

if there was one it might be powered by your 4 pin molex connector because of the wattage and voltage it would require to power

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

30 minutes ago, Thunder_Ruler0 said:

That price though....

This is true but quite a bit more airflow than a noctua nf-f12 at 72-290 m3/h vs 74-93 m3/h on the noctua but much louder at 43.5 dBA max 22.4 dBA max on the noctua

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

Yes, there used to be thicker fans and they are better but it's been decided by manufacturers somewhere along the line that it was more convenient to make 25mm thick fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, thicker fans would not only move more air, with proper design they could have much higher static pressure ratings (IIRC this is a matter of blade surface area and blade geometry.)  But they would also consume a lot more power. Air may not seem like much, but it  does have mass and causing it to move requires work.  The more you move the more work gets done.  The more work getting done the more electricity consumed.

But in some applications they would make good sense - thick radiators in custom loops - but you are going to need plenty of space.