I can snag a new updated model evga 980Ti Hybrid for $560 till things calm down in 1080 land. What would you do?

Arct1c0n

Well, Im regretting jumping the gun and the hype train and selling my MSI 980 Ti gaming the other week. The benchmarks of the 1080 are decent but not overwhelming, especially at 1440p which is what I game at at 60 hertz.

Now not only do I have no GPU to play anything, but it's sounding like it could be freaking mid or late June before we get any AIB models with better cooling and rumor has it, it could be even later till we see better PCB boards, namely VRMs and dual power pins.

On top of that, I will basically have to camp on the phone and work laptop to manage to buy a 1080 to fight the insane surge of until initial buyers. And God only knows if and when a Ti model will show up, which will likely be insane power wise vs the 1080. Well, in theory anyway.

Suggestions what to do for a bandwagon hype jumping dumbass?

I'd sell you my Kingpin for less, that's what I'd do.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

3 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

The 980 ti hybrid is also new, never opened from factory and its new model. You hinting or just being sarcastic?

i dont think anyone would buy a 980ti for over $400

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Arct1c0n said:

The 980 ti hybrid is also new, never opened from factory and its new model. You hinting or just being sarcastic?

Hinting.

What's different in the new model? Honestly, I wouldn't pay $560 for a 980ti right now. It's just too much for something that's about to be a generation behind.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

3 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Really?  So I guess you and I are going to be trading blows 1080 style now?  xD

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Really?  So I guess you and I are going to be trading blows 1080 style now?  xD

Haha, maybe. If by "1080 style" you mean rocking 2 4870x2's until I see what Polaris is like, then yes. :D 

5 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Hinting.

What's different in the new model? Honestly, I wouldn't pay $560 for a 980ti right now. It's just too much for something that's about to be a generation behind.

Updated shroud that looks better is all. 

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

i dont think anyone would buy a 980ti for over $400

You are very wrong there.

wouldn't buy nothin but the new releases unless buying used for super cheap. 

3 hours ago, Arct1c0n said:

Updated shroud that looks better is all. 

Look on ebay if you're seriously thinking about it. The Hybrids are going from $450 to $500 there.  If you find one closer to $450, you'd save $100.  I just hate to see you buy a brand new Ti right now.

It would have been a good steal a few months ago but now when the 1080 came out the 900 series is almost irrelevant for the price to be honest. Just wait until you can get the 1080 or even the 1070 wich is still better than a 980 ti according to nvidia.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

5 minutes ago, MLGTurnip said:

It would have been a good steal a few months ago but now when the 1080 came out the 900 series is almost irrelevant for the price to be honest. Just wait until you can get the 1080 or even the 1070 wich is still better than a 980 ti according to nvidia.

Well right now I have NOTHING and no, the 1070 is too gimped 

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Look on ebay if you're seriously thinking about it. The Hybrids are going from $450 to $500 there.  If you find one closer to $450, you'd save $100.  I just hate to see you buy a brand new Ti right now.

I'm not a fan of ebay and most of those are used and older model.  If I get another 980ti, I woudln't replace it until the 1080Ti comes out

14 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You are very wrong there.

well anyone who does is kinda stupid and wasting money, so...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

Now that is more accurate.  :D

Having just sold two 980 Ti Hybrids, I can tell you that they are selling and selling easily.

I'd just wait for the 1080. Honestly, even if it is mid or late June, is that really that long to wait for you? That's only 3 or 4 weeks, at most. Not every long at all.

It's more powerful than the 980Ti, especially when it's overclocked. There's a substantial boost there.

I wouldn't wait for the 1080Ti, it likely won't come out for another year. If you're thinking like that, you'll always be waiting, as something greatly improved will always be just a year away.

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Eh, eBay also takes a portion of the money, as does I believe Paypal. So yes, while people are paying that much, the final value the sellers are getting isn't quite that high.

7 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

Well right now I have NOTHING and no, the 1070 is too gimped 

It might beat your 980Ti though. While being much cheaper and having more overall memory. Something to think about.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Haha eBay is filled with idiots when it comes to tech though. I've very, very rarely gotten decent deals on there for computer parts.
Except the PC I have now. No idea how I managed to get it for what I did.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm not a fan of ebay and most of those are used and older model.  If I get another 980ti, I woudln't replace it until the 1080Ti comes out

To be honest, starting with your second post in this thread you've defended the idea so it sounds like you might have already had your mind made up.  With that said, the 980 Ti is a badass card and you can't go wrong with buying one.  If you wanted to hear yes, then yes, go buy it.  

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Haha eBay is filled with idiots when it comes to tech though. I've very, very rarely gotten decent deals on there for computer parts.
Except the PC I have now. No idea how I managed to get it for what I did.

oh

yeah i never buy crap from ebay

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Having just sold two 980 Ti Hybrids, I can tell you that they are selling and selling easily.

off topic but do you have a build log for your rig in your signature? 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Eh, eBay also takes a portion of the money, as does I believe Paypal. So yes, while people are paying that much, the final value the sellers are getting isn't quite that high.

It might beat your 980Ti though. While being much cheaper and having more overall memory. Something to think about.

I don't even understand why you bothered posting this.  He is the buyer, not the seller.  

17 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm getting offered a like new K1ngp1n for $450. I also am able to get my hands on a brand new, never opened factory sealed updated 980Ti Hybrid for $560.  Which would you think? I won't be watercooling the K1ngp1n,

Go for a Hybrid. Mine overclocks to 1500mhz while never going over 50c while gaming.

1080? Never heard of her.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'm getting offered a like new K1ngp1n for $450. I also am able to get my hands on a brand new, never opened factory sealed updated 980Ti Hybrid.  Which would you think? I won't be watercooling the K1ngp1n,

If I had it to do over again, I would have picked up two Kingpins instead of my Hybrids.  I removed the Hybrid coolers within 2 weeks and installed EK block in order to cool them with my loop.  At that point, they were essentially reference cards with EK water blocks and the Kingpins would have gone a lot further considering how will my Hybrids did on a custom loop.  I make them sound slow, but I think I had two of the fastest Hybrid cards ever made.  :D

3 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

off topic but do you have a build log for your rig in your signature? 

No, I never seem to do them, but I'll PM you some pictures.  I always say that I'm going to build log the next one and never do.