smartphone battery life RANT

PC_Suchti

So ... most of you probably have their 2nd, 3rd or even 10th smartphone and have gotten used to the ridiculous battery life of these stupid things.

I'm one of those few who still use more of a classic cell phone ( w810i ) it basicly does all the things you actually need on a phone ... calls, text, music, photos, videos, mail ( if you have a data plan ) and other random stuff ...

Sure it doesn't run angry birds and the screen is just tiny... but it runs for up to 8 FREAKING DAYS on a charge!!!

According to http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w810-1402.php it has a standby time of up to 350h ...

well on light use it actually manages around 200h so thats not too far off.

And that's on the 6+ year old battery it came with...

Pick ANY new phone on that page ... the spec-sheet tells you that those have 300-450h of standby time ... BULLSHIT!

Charge it...put it on your desk and only touch it once a day to check the battery...

at BEST ... with EVERYTHING turned off ... you'll get around 2-4 days ...

so 24 x 4 is 300h ?! I don't think so!!!

btw I didn't just pull those numbers out of thin air ... checked this myself on Samsung Wave 2 ( 3-4 days on pure standby wifi on, bluetooth off, cellular data off) and Samsung Omnia7 ( in batterysaver mode it tells me that it'll last for 36h ).

Tell me about your experience ... what phone do you use? how long does it last on a charge?

Is there even a valid reason to use something that can't run for a whole day IF you actually use it?

Am I just stupid and/or getting old ?!

Maybe both :P

I do agree with you though. Smartphone batteries are getting ridiculous. Then again Phone tech is advancing much faster than battery tech, Maybe someone should throw a lot of money into batteries and find a much better way to store and preserve the electricity.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

My phone lasts for like 2 weeks without charging.

Ah the joys of hating/not using smartphones.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I get through a day with my HTC One which is enough for me. That'd include using some internet, apps etc. I have a portable charger with me at university though in case I do drain the battery.

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

It's a compromise. Technology has gotten more energy efficient over time, they could make a phone with hardware that was more efficient and thus give better battery life, but then nobody would want it because the Samsung Galaxy [X] XIV v2 MK.5 just came out with an 24 core processor and 12gb of RAM and anything marginally less is trash.

They could just put better batteries in there, we certainly have the technology for it, but then nobody would buy the phone because it's going to cost you a kidney, and if you make it rain and bought it anyway, your investment would be wasteful since it's out of date within a year anyway.

I use an EVO 3D and it usually lasts me the entire day unless I'm playing on youtube for a long time. It can last up to two days if used lightly. It's usually on WiFi and I have 4g always off unless on youtube.

You might not think so, but to remain competitive there is a price ceiling on cellphones as there are on most market commodities. That price is rising over time, but for now with the specs demanded the rest of the phone's budget allocated for power efficiency and battery potential is constrained. It's not as glorious as raw specs, especially to common consumer market and therefore not the biggest focus.

Error: 410

Well, I dont care about the battery life if its 1 day or more since I always charge it at night... and micro usb charger is like everywhere... But sometimes the battery cant long for one day and at that point I can agree that smartphones suck at this point

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I have a cherry mobile titan w500 (local rebrand of the kanko w990) and it lasts about 2 days, which is enough for me since I charge it every night :)

what's also bothering me is ... how do manufacturers determin the standby time to get 300+ hours??? since it's nowhere near the real numbers ... or do they define "standby" as shutting the phone down o_O

what's also bothering me is ... how do manufacturers determin the standby time to get 300+ hours??? since it's nowhere near the real numbers ... or do they define "standby" as shutting the phone down o_O

Quite easy to grasp. Stanby means screen off just sitting there.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

I use a blackberry 9700 and guess what?....I barely last a day even though i only use it for the occasional calls and text. To add to that, blackberry's implementation on how to preserve battery when the phone is on it's last legs is to shut off the radio and wifi and you can't even take pictures! At that point it's like my phone is trying to troll me by saying i'll stay on but you can't use me. :( 

Anyway smartphone manufactures really need to pay attention preserving battery whilst they figure ways to advance technology.

p.s. you're not stupid and YOU SHALL NEVER GET OLD!!!  :P

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

I have a smartphone which is pretty slow so I dont use it much, just texting a couple of times a day and sometimes listening to music, It lasts 2-4 weeks. On an 1800 mAh battery - just turn off gps, bluetooth, wifi, data, all that crap, if you have any background bloatware root and uninstall those, and it uses basically no battery while on standby (Like, 1% a day).

So yeah, your rant kinda doesn't apply to me.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I wouldn't care if manufacturers decided to build slightly thicker phones again with double the battery. I havew a Nexus 4. It runs for a day for frequent use. When i start playing during lecture though... This is ridiculous!

who cares...

Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100M. Lasts me anywhere from 8 to 12 hours depending on how much I use it while on campus. I always carry a portable battery pack with me in my messenger bag, so battery life isn't really a concern to me anymore.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

My Note 2 (3100mAh) drains at about 5% per day if you don't use it.

I need more SSDs.

I use a blackberry 9700 and guess what?....I barely last a day even though i only use it for the occasional calls and text. To add to that, blackberry's implementation on how to preserve battery when the phone is on it's last legs is to shut off the radio and wifi and you can't even take pictures! At that point it's like my phone is trying to troll me by saying i'll stay on but you can't use me. :(

Anyway smartphone manufactures really need to pay attention preserving battery whilst they figure ways to advance technology.

p.s. you're not stupid and YOU SHALL NEVER GET OLD!!!  :P

That's pretty legit.

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

My Galaxy S3 on normal use will last me 3 to 3 1/2 days (72 to 84 hours) problem free and this includes WiFi on 24/7 on a single charge.

Now if you're smart and disable things running in the background, turn off anything that can drain (gps, bluetooth, wifi, services, etc) your phone can last 

The one you linked for example, is a not very battery intensive phone up UP TO 350 hours is possible.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide