If Windows XP is Still Supported and Supports all Modern Apps, Would You Use It?

Appleboy45

So sadly (Or all least I think that, I don't know what you think about it), Windows XP is out of support and outdated, but I still like it. I don't browse the web on it nor use it often anymore, but I like to play with it every once in awhile when I'm bored. But I'm curious, if Windows XP is still supported, and all modern apps and games are supported on this operating system, would you still use it. I would as I enjoy XP and I think it has a great UI.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No. Windows 7 did major improvements to the UI and UX and going back would just be an exercise in frustration.

I rarely use Windows 7, but I will say Windows 7 is a great operating system with great features compared to Windows XP. But I still love XP and I wish it was still supported.

Nope, I enjoy being able to use more than 4GB of ram

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I'll take Windows 7 for the rest of eternity.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

Nope, I enjoy being able to use more than 4GB of ram

that would be the 64bit model. look it up. man, I must be the sole owner.

56 minutes ago, LabRat said:

that would be the 64bit model. look it up. man, I must be the sole owner.

Well there's the 64 bit actually XP OS, but I believe it had a very short production run, which means they're freaking rare and dang near impossible to find, and the server 03 XP hybrid 64 bit, which from my understanding was pretty horrible. But the funniest thing, I actually have a XP OS disc and license key sitting right next to me, I'll probably just keep it for the memories....or until I need a frisbee

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Windows XP has more security holes than chicken wire. And all its security issues are pretty much all documented and a 8 year old kid can make a serious exploit in no time.

For reference, back in 2001, when Windows XP was released, Microsoft said that Windows XP (which is based on Windows NT 3, that is a 1993 OS.. you know, before this "Internet" became a thing, and when people were laughing about people making viruses, and malware.. I mean who would do that? RIght? Riiiiight?) needs to be scrapped and Windows needs to be redone from scratch, as it no longer reflects TODAYs (that is the 2001 "today") security needs, and modern technologies.

That is why it took 6 years to get Vista. And that is why it was all buggy. The OS was about 80% redone from scratch, so you had bugs that were not there before, now there and needed to be fixed, and the OS lost a lot of optimization work. All of which took a nice 3 years of polishing, and computer hardware to catch up the OS needs, to get Windows 7.

Windows XP still gets security updates until 2019 if you change a single registry key. I wish I had kept my old hardware so I could still run it because I have quite a few games I want to play that I can't get to work on Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Windows XP still gets security updates until 2019 if you change a single registry key. I wish I had kept my old hardware so I could still run it because I have quite a few games I want to play that I can't get to work on Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10.

Windows XP has no more update of any kind, since April 8, 2014.

Only Windows XP Embedded POSReady 2009, gets updated to 2014, and those updates are extremely minimal and targeted to POS systems only, and only reflects critical security updates. Anything else you have nothing.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Windows XP has no more update of any kind, since April 8, 2014.

Only Windows XP Embedded POSReady 2009, gets updated to 2014, and those updates are extremely minimal and targeted to POS systems only.

If you make a single registry change then the POSReady 2009 security updates are applied to Windows XP also. Having had to do this for multiple relative's PCs I can confirm they are still getting updates albeit not as frequently.

-KuJoe

19 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Yo are refeering to Point of Sale Embedded XP. Which then is used for
ATMs or cashing systems. You just can not get banks to change their hardware every few years or even major retailers.

Edited by annoyingmoments
Corrected grammar

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

On 19/05/2016 at 3:42 AM, Appleboy45 said:

So sadly (Or all least I think that, I don't know what you think about it), Windows XP is out of support and outdated, but I still like it. I don't browse the web on it nor use it often anymore, but I like to play with it every once in awhile when I'm bored. But I'm curious, if Windows XP is still supported, and all modern apps and games are supported on this operating system, would you still use it. I would as I enjoy XP and I think it has a great UI.

desktop hardware acceleration that came with windows 7 would be greatly missed. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On the question, no, I love 7. I beleive it is the best OS that exists/ed.

But I'd take it over 10. I'd take Vista over 10 too.

On May 19, 2016 at 10:05 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

What makes Windows XP so great? Even if it supported modern apps the core of the OS isn't really suitable for the modern era.

Also peeps there was an x86-64 version, but nobody cared about it.

I liked Windows XP because I like the theme. It seem very friendly and looked nice compared to Windows 10. Windows Vista and 7 looked better, but I still like the XP theme. Also, It has the older task bar which I mostly prefer as it's easier to access what I need. And while I can modify the task bar in Windows 10, it won't be exactly like the one in Windows Vista and older.

You can always get one of the Windows 8 start menu replacements for Windows 10, and functionally the Windows Vista start menu style is the same as XP's, just without the accordian menus (which has major UX problems).

And a quick Google search revealed to me you can import the Windows XP theme to Windows 10: http://www.intowindows.com/windows-xp-themes-for-windows-10/ (Not sure if it's actually something that gives all the looks rather than just a color/wallpaper comb)

What I miss from Windows XP was the sound API that allowed hardware accelerated and binaural sound cards to exist and flourish, but that is about it. In every other way Windows 10 is an advancement, its file system and IO performance, its new threading and memory model, its vastly more stable and efficient APIs and obviously the user experience itself. The changes to the driver model made in Vista have brought enormous stability, they were truly one of the biggest improvements to make in terms of making Windows stable but while GPUs carried on and worked through the issues sound got completely cut off and we now don't have beam formed sound devices and now its actually with the graphics card companies to try and fix sound in games. But that is all I miss.

22 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

What I miss from Windows XP was the sound API that allowed hardware accelerated and binaural sound cards to exist and flourish, but that is about it.

We would probably still have it, if there was at least 1 company that bothered with their sound card drivers at the time. They were so inferior and broken, 'causing many BSODs. It was a mess that Microsoft had to clean up. So, because of this, we loose on some special features, but we gain reliability, and system stability, as well for the fact that today.. well even back in 2005, processing sound is really not an issue. Heck, all onboard sound uses the CPU to process it, you see no one ever complained even back in the early days about loss of gaming performance (even though there was a bit.. at the time, now its not even 1fps). "SPUs" (Sound Processing Units) where turn rare quickly, after the rave of onboard sound solutions, and people calling great with their 10$ earphones or speakers.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

We would probably still have it, if there was at least 1 company that bothered with their sound card drivers at the time. They were so inferior and broken, 'causing many BSODs. It was a mess that Microsoft had to clean up. So, because of this, we loose on some special features, but we gain reliability, and system stability, as well for the fact that today.. well even back in 2005, processing sound is really not an issue. Heck, all onboard sound uses the CPU to process it, you see no one ever complained even back in the early days about loss of gaming performance (even though there was a bit.. at the time, now its not even 1fps). "SPUs" (Sound Processing Units) where turn rare quickly, after the rave of onboard sound solutions, and people calling great with their 10$ earphones or speakers.

Its really performance we lost, its all the features. The A3D 2.0 cards used a lot of hardware (around half the transistors of GPUs of the day) to do beam formed audio reflection and binarual audio with head related transform functions. We don't have that today, its very basic low quality CPU processing on a 2D plan with zero verticality in sound and poor quality HRTF for DX headphone mode. There isn't enough performance on the CPU to do beam formed audio reflection and refraction so they don't do it at all. Sound took an enormous step backwards.

I don't disagree the drivers were terrible, Microsoft showed that between Graphics and sound (more graphics however) that most of the crashes of Windows were due to those two devices and the 4 companies involved. But whereas GPUs had a route forward and could continue to be accelerated Microsoft cut off sound card innovation completely and utterly. I still miss it, it gave me audio wall hacks.

XP was crap when it first came out. It took 3 service pack to finally make it like it is now. So no I would not use, even if it's still supported.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list