matx case suggestions with good airflow for R9 390X

smush

I Built my PC in mid December 2015 using 6700k, 16gb DDR4, Msi R9 390X, 256gb SSD, 4tb HDD, 850w PSU. I opted to put all my hardware in a very small thermaltake urban SD 1 case that fits perfectly on a shelf below my TV however when I recently played Tomb Raider 2013 my GPU would reach 94c and stay there for the most part I also noticed FPS at sub 50 levels even jittery in one instance. I think I may need a new case that will provide better air flow and cable management so i have come here for suggestions. I would like a small case that could be moved to different rooms if required but I feel I may have to settle for something bigger than what I have due to GPU size and heat and buy a Steam Link. Ive heard the Corsair Obsidian 350D to be good matx case for air flow but are their others that are better maybe even a bit smaller?

core 1000 usb 3.0? o.O with a fan on the side panel

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

core 1000 usb 3.0? o.O with a fan on the side panel

I thought that was a super value-oriented case. Does it actually have good airflow?

I'm going to agree with @ELSknutson. I just got my Air 240 and I'm loving it. I'm unsure as to how well your 390x will fit, so maybe double check that.

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I thought that was a super value-oriented case. Does it actually have good airflow?

should be fairly decent, 2 intakes (one front one on the side panel) and an exhaust

pretty much a typical config, 2 in 1 out

i wouldnt call it as excellent though lol

the air 240 is a much better option though, air flow wise

but also much bulkier

also the Phanteks enthoo evolv mAtx version is pretty nice as well as the Define S nano

fractal design arc mini r2

im testing the fractal design core 1300 and so far, pretty good budget case (no window)

I'd recommend the Silverstone SG10, very compact with plenty of ventilation next to the PCI slots, certainly keeps my 980 cool. The 120mm fan plugged in near the GPU rarely spins. Not really that suitable for AIOs, though it is possible to wedge a 120mm one in if you really want, but the the 180mm fan can move a lot of air without much noise, and is well suited to tower coolers.

@Moonzy The Core 1000 I feel is a bit on the ugly side and there appears to be no cable management holes?

@airdeano Both those Fractal cases wont accommodate my GPU due to HDD cage. The Core 1300 states that it supports GPU length up to 400mm but that with one or more HDD installed it may interfere wth GPU cables on a card longer than 200mm. Which sounds like I'd be taking a gamble there.

@ELSknutson I have a feeling that I looked at the Air 240 back when I was building and I'm sure there was a reason I couldn't use it. Its a the prefect compact size but I fear I'd be making the same mistake I did with the current case with not much room for cable management and restricted air flow heating the GPU up. The Phanteks case looks really nice. The Define S Nano spec says cards wider than 2 slots are not recommended and I think the 390X is more like 2.5

@Monkey Dust I like Silverstone cases My old build which I still use is housed in a FT02. However I'm not sure how effective air flow will be in SG10 for a 390X as it runs much hotter than a 980.

Would these be better than the Corsair Obsidian 350D or are they just the same with a different brand? I think I like the Phanteks the most although I am unsure how reliable they are as this is the first time I've heard of them.

3 minutes ago, smush said:

Would these be better than the Corsair Obsidian 350D or are they just the same with a different brand? I think I like the Phanteks the most although I am unsure how reliable they are as this is the first time I've heard of them.

the 350D is a solid case

but it's also bulkier too (almost the same size as some ATX case tbh)

8 minutes ago, smush said:

@Moonzy The Core 1000 I feel is a bit on the ugly side and there appears to be no cable management holes?

@airdeano Both those Fractal cases wont accommodate my GPU due to HDD cage. The Core 1300 states that it supports GPU length up to 400mm but that with one or more HDD installed it may interfere wth GPU cables on a card longer than 200mm. Which sounds like I'd be taking a gamble there.

@ELSknutson I have a feeling that I looked at the Air 240 back when I was building and I'm sure there was a reason I couldn't use it. Its a the prefect compact size but I fear I'd be making the same mistake I did with the current case with not much room for cable management and restricted air flow heating the GPU up. The Phanteks case looks really nice. The Define S Nano spec says cards wider than 2 slots are not recommended and I think the 390X is more like 2.5

@Monkey Dust I like Silverstone cases My old build which I still use is housed in a FT02. However I'm not sure how effective air flow will be in SG10 for a 390X as it runs much hotter than a 980.

the air 240 has tons of room for cable management and is very open for air flow 

3 hours ago, smush said:

Both those Fractal cases wont accommodate my GPU due to HDD cage. The Core 1300 states that it supports GPU length up to 400mm but that with one or more HDD installed it may interfere wth GPU cables on a card longer than 200mm. Which sounds like I'd be taking a gamble there.

there is always installing the HDD (x2) in the ODD bay, remove the HDD cages and you now have straight-through airflow for the GPU.

not really a gamble, just whether you want to do it or not.

The Phanteks Evolv is an awesome case except for a few weird design flaws (IMO) like the side IO ports which limit orientation. The window is small and doesn't look very good compared to the itx and atx versions. 

Other than that is is a premium case. 

@airdeano With the Arc Mini R2 there are two separate 3.5 HDD cages is that right? As the website's spec says with the top cage removed it will accommodate GPUs up to 400mm is it referring to the top HDD cage or the optical bays? as I would be willing to sacrifice 3 HDD bays as currently I only require 1 ODD, 1 HDD and 1 SSD

arcminir2-15b.jpgyes, the upper and lower are removable. removing the upper will allow a single long card.

ODD in ODD bay, SSD on back of motherboard tray and HDD in lower HDD cage.

@airdeano I am strongly considering this case now. I'm just a bit concerned that most of the air will be passing around above the GPU as from the pictures of builds I've seen it mounts right near the bottom above PSU even the exhaust fan is above the GPU near top of case. Have you tested this case? if so with which GPU and what were temps like?

ive owned three of these cases and they have zero issues on GPU airflow.

ive used from gtx580, hd7970GHZ, gtx780, r9 290DD and custom watercooling and the temperatures were great with the front fan(s) on low, side panel on. even with the side panel off the temperatures were 1-2° lower on CPU/GPU, so the case is doing its diligence.

@airdeano Is The Arc Mini R2 (WXHXD 210 x 405 x 484mm) that much bigger internally than my current case (WXHXD 280 x 239 x 456 mm)? And would I need to install

additional fans or will the ones supplied be enough?

for your needs of airflow and cable management yes, and the two fans (silent v2) are well enough, but considerations to a more aggressive airflow fan might be needed.

The node 804 is strictly superior in every way to the air 240 (it also costs a bit more). 

You won't find a matx build with more airflow. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I've been looking at the Node 804 for my setup, which also houses a 390x (MSI). From what I've seen, I think I'd go with that. There's just so many options for cooling and drive mounting.

1 hour ago, airdeano said:

for your needs of airflow and cable management yes, and the two fans (silent v2) are well enough, but considerations to a more aggressive airflow fan might be needed.

It comes with 3 fans not 2 (1x120mm front, 1x140mm top and 1x120mm rear) I was considering 1 more fan for the bottom as exhaust maybe for a more neutral air pressure unless you recommend something else? Are the Silent Series R2 fans good quality, should I look get a fourth fan in the same model?

as to case pressure balance, you'll need more intake (filtered) than exhaust. filtered fans have decreased airflow due to the filter restriction (45-55%). in the shipped config, it a severe negative pressure. i usually removed the 140 (forgotten), installed a second front fan and slowed the rear fan. or use both 120 in the front intake and ditched the rear fan. the r2s are good fans, but there are better volume of air fans.