How much heat from a heat emitting source (e.g. CPU) is turned into radiation?

Go to solution Solved by Sunshine1868,

you'd be better served using the temperature differential between ambient and the cpu to power some kind of heat-engine (i.e. stirling engine) or using a thermoelectric generator to generate electricity

Do any of you physics people out there know the answer? I'm sort of doing a side project of figuring out a means of turning thermal energy into electricity. One of my friends brought up a good point, which is does a lot of the heat from a CPU, for example, actually get turned into radiation, or is a majority of it actually turned into conduction/convection? Just curious if any of you guys know the percentages or if only a small percentage of heat emitted (on average) is turned into radiation. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I don't think much heat is outputted through the cooler, and even less will be turned into electricity. I think so.

(unless you get an FX-9590, then you'll have some gr8 results)

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

I don't think much heat is outputted through the cooler, and even less will be turned into electricity. I think so.

(unless you get an FX-9590, then you'll have some gr8 results)

No, that's not my question. My question is of the heat that is emitted, how much of it is emitted through radiation vs. conduction/convection? E.G. How much of the heat is actually turned into infrared light?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I don't have ananswer for you as I am not at all an expert in physics, but I would guess that a CPU only produces ever so slightly over background radiation if even that (so what we're looking at 0.05 more microsieverts)? Also which radiation are you talking about? Ionizing radiation or thermal radiation?

thermal radiation

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

you'd be better served using the temperature differential between ambient and the cpu to power some kind of heat-engine (i.e. stirling engine) or using a thermoelectric generator to generate electricity

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

1 minute ago, Sunshine1868 said:

Interesting..... Haven't heard of thermoelectric generators before....

I'll definitely be looking into that now :)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

we'll in that case doesn't all of it get converted into heat? I would imagine the amount of thermal radiation produced would be depending on how the particular chip was binned. Again I just really don't have any answers.

Yes, but only some of it is turned into infrared light. It can also be transferred to the air through conduction or just stored in the CPU itself.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

turning thermal energy into electricity

Peltier element maybe?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

2 minutes ago, juretrn said:

Peltier element maybe?

its the reverse of a Peltier; a Seebeck element.

ESXi SysAdmin

the cooler doesnt emit any electromagnetic radiation at all. because to so you need electrons going threw ot which is not happening. so no infrared or something like that.

if your detecting that sort of radiation it comes from cpu, mobo or most likely some leds. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Most engines use heat to produce work, which can then be turned into electricity.

Anyway :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

the cooler doesnt emit any electromagnetic radiation at all. because to so you need electrons going threw ot which is not happening. so no infrared or something like that.

if your detecting that sort of radiation it comes from cpu, mobo or most likely some leds. 

It must release some infrared radiation, or you wouldn't be able to detect it with an infrared camera...

(please correct me if wrong)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

its the reverse of a Peltier; a Seebeck element.

Doesn't a Peltier produce electricity when on a temperature differential?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Just now, juretrn said:

Doesn't a Peltier produce electricity when on a temperature differential?

yeah, but at that point its not the Peltier effect; it's the Seebeck effect ? 

ESXi SysAdmin

Back to the main topic :
OP : U basicly want to know, how much energy is transfered from CPU into light (infrared to be exact), heat, and radio waves (the famous "spread spectrum") ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

I'm one of the top people at my school when it comes to anything physics related and I'm starting uni (gonna study physics) in a few months so I think I'm allowed to speak.

The only radiation that will get formed gets formed by anything at the same temperature. By that I mean, if the CPU is 70°C it will emit the same ammount of radiation as, for example, a rock with the same dimensions at 70°C which is next to none compared to the several hundreds of °C required to make something emit sufficient radiation to be seen, let alone to gather a worthwhile ammount of energy from it.

If you are really persistant on getting energy from something hot like a CPU you should have a look at thermoelectric generators as @Sunshine1868 already said. The only thermoelectric generators I've worked with and know of ATM are peltier-elements which are small plates that create a voltage difference based on the temperature difference on both sides. However, they are bad heat conductors themselfs so you shouldn't stick them between a heatsink and a CPU or you will overheat it. They conduct heat through the current that flows through it.

They can also be used the other way around. In that case you put a voltage difference on it and it will pump heat away from one side to another. However, that by itself costs a lot of power so you will only create more heat for the heatsink to get rid off which is the biggest downside. Peltier-elements are very inefficient when it comes to transfering heat by voltage or when it comes to generating electricity through a temperature difference. I think @Stefan1024 used peltier-elements on his computer to generate electricity for a phone charger if I recall correctly.

I hope I helped with this over complicated explanation.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

^watch out, we got a badass over here!

1 year out of university, physics and math ;) 

ESXi SysAdmin

1 minute ago, agent_x007 said:

Back to the main topic :
OP : U basicly want to know, how much energy is transfered from CPU into light/photons (infrared), heat, and radio waves (the famous "spread spectrum") ?

mainly how much is turned into infrared.

Though @Sunshine1868 has peaked my interest with Thermoelectric Generators....

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It must release some infrared radiation, or you wouldn't be able to detect it with an infrared camera...

(please correct me if wrong)

yeah but the amount of energy transmitted there is incredibly small. this is why thermal cameras are so expensive.

this makes sense when you take a look at the frequency range of electromagnetic waves.

also the problem with the thermal electronic generator is that you need a material with high electric conductivity and low thermal conductivity. normally those properties go along with each other. the only way to archive that is with rare earth or nanotechnology. both arent exactly cheap... 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

mainly how much is turned into infrared.

Though @Sunshine1868 has peaked my interest with Thermoelectric Generators....

That is a REALLY SMALL ammount.
I don't think U need much energy to make photons "move"/"oscilate" at the infrared frequency.

Basicly : Glowing in light spectrum is easy to come by (ie. fire) :)
Maintaining glow, or to be more exact - energy to glow, is A LOT harder when there is mass envolved (ie. atoms), and photons don't have mass (?).

That's only the theory, based on elementary physics/chemistry - I can be wrong here.

PS. Going BIG :
A nuke (ie. atomic bomb), at the moment of detonation, converts around 5% of it's initial energy into light (and that's what I readed in my school book at least).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

yeah but the amount of energy transmitted there is incredibly small. this is why thermal cameras are so expensive.

this makes sense when you take a look at the frequency range of electromagnetic waves.

also the problem with the thermal electronic generator is that you need a material with high electric conductivity and low thermal conductivity. normally those properties go along with each other. the only way to archive that is with rare earth or nanotechnology. both arent exactly cheap... 

Well, you can get regular Peltier-elements (thermoelectric generators) from something like aliexpress for like €4 a piece. They're expencive in the western world because the demand is so low but in China they ship everywhere resulting in sufficient demand so it can be done cheap.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

A relatively small percentage of the chip's TDP will be radiated through thermal radation. This is why heatsink fins are employed so often with these coolers (mainly conduction, and convection).

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Ok, so reading all of these responses, I feel that infrared radiation is a very small percentage of the heat emitted by a heat emitting source.

Therefore, I think I may change my direction to finding a way to do the same with conduction (probably via the Thermoelectric effect).

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Ok, so reading all of these responses, I feel that infrared radiation is a very small percentage of the heat emitted by a heat emitting source.

Therefore, I think I may change my direction to finding a way to do the same with conduction (probably via the Thermoelectric effect).

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Generally speaking unless something's in a vacuum it will loose most of it's heat by convection and conduction. Radiation doesn't tend to come into effect until you're muuccchhhhhh hotter.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Do any of you physics people out there know the answer? I'm sort of doing a side project of figuring out a means of turning thermal energy into electricity. One of my friends brought up a good point, which is does a lot of the heat from a CPU, for example, actually get turned into radiation, or is a majority of it actually turned into conduction/convection? Just curious if any of you guys know the percentages or if only a small percentage of heat emitted (on average) is turned into radiation. 

As a rule of thumb, a black annodized heat sink cools about 10% better than one with a blank aluminum surface. But this compared to natural convection that is quite weak. But thermal radiation can make a difference.

I used a peltier element as a TEG, but the efficency was way below 1%. The main problem is not the heat source, but keeping the cold side cool. To produce energy you do not need a heat source but a temperature difference.

Even the bid powerstations have this problem. Just remember the hughe cooling tower that every heat based power stations have.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil