How much heat from a heat emitting source (e.g. CPU) is turned into radiation?

Go to solution Solved by Sunshine1868,

you'd be better served using the temperature differential between ambient and the cpu to power some kind of heat-engine (i.e. stirling engine) or using a thermoelectric generator to generate electricity

Everything above absolute zero (0 K or -273.15 C) emits heat in the form of radiation, so the real question is actually how much net radiation it gives off, since it will emit some to the surroundings and receive some from them as well.  I'm simplifying quite a bit here, but the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the difference of each object's absolute temperature raised to the power of four.  That is, not the difference ^4 but each T ^4, then the difference of that :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 5/11/2016 at 2:46 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Everything above absolute zero (0 K or -273.15 C) emits heat in the form of radiation, so the real question is actually how much net radiation it gives off, since it will emit some to the surroundings and receive some from them as well.  I'm simplifying quite a bit here, but the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the difference of each object's absolute temperature raised to the power of four.  That is, not the difference ^4 but each T ^4, then the difference of that :)

Not an expert here, but my understanding of the way it works is that all forms of energy transformations typically have an affinity to turn into thermal energy more than anything else. Just seems like a universal thing, kinda like how scientists predict the universe will experience a "heat death" after a certain point, where all energy in the universe is evenly spread out and in the form of thermal energy, a state in which no chemical reactions or anything kinetic or mechanical can occur. This ends up meaning your average CPU is gonna emit probably 99% of its input wattage as heat (i.e. a 140W CPU is gonna output pretty close to 140W of heat, but energy transfers are not always perfect.) This is because electrical -> thermal is REALLY efficient through the process of electrical resistance. Now, with CPU's having TDP's no higher than 250W, you're not nearly reaching the temperature or energy regimes to produce any meaningful light (thermal to light energy is super inefficient. Better off saving your electric bill and opting to just power a light bulb.) I hope all my points aren't all over the place and scatter-brained. Just sharing my understanding of this stuff :)

3 minutes ago, CrimsonPhantom12 said:

Not an expert here, but my understanding of the way it works is that all forms of energy transformations typically like to turn into thermal energy more than anything else. Just seems like a universal thing, kinda like how scientists predict the universe will experience a "heat death" after a certain point, where all energy in the universe is evenly spread out and in the form of thermal energy, a state in which no chemical reactions or anything kinetic or mechanical can occur. This ends up meaning your average CPU is gonna emit probably 99% of its input wattage as heat (i.e. a 140W CPU is gonna output pretty close to 140W of heat, but energy transfers are not always perfect.) This is because electrical -> thermal is REALLY efficient through the process of electrical resistance. Now, with CPU's having TDP's no higher than 250W, you're not nearly reaching the temperature or energy regimes to produce any meaningful light (thermal to light energy is super inefficient. Better off saving your electric bill and opting to just power a light bulb.) I hope all my points aren't all over the place and scatter-brained. Just sharing my understanding of this stuff :)

Yeah the CPU itself won't really radiate heat at all since it's completely covered, but the heatsink might, though I suspect it won't be much at all.  Certainly no where near enough to be visible :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.